Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Possibly changing gears back

Go down 
+2
TonySmooth89
BillBoost37
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

Possibly changing gears back Empty
PostSubject: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 2:05 pm

Got a little feeling from the trans, then noise on startup w/o being in gear. Like a bucket of rocks being rolled around. Engine was running too good for that to be the issue. Car slept at my buddies house that night. Next day I couldn't find anything and the noise went way quickly. All seemed good until I started to drive. Poof a SES came on. P0717 (Trans related) Input Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage.

In looking around on 3800pro and a few other searches it appears it could be chain stretch (about to break) or bad rivets on the ISS reluctor.

Anyone had any experience? I know the trans is coming back out and heck...that's why I put it in with velcro.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 10:30 am

I'm er uh...not feeling the same drivetrain as a Riv love guys....
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 am

I dont know much about transmissions , but i dont see how the chain could make noise when not in gear... scratch

Aww... dont feel down. . cheers I'm just clueless about transmissions.
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 10:51 am

i dont know shit about cars in the first place. lol
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 1:02 pm

No idea Bill but you should contact our local guy Grant. He's great inexpensive labor and a good resource. He'll chat about a problem too. He's a pro working at a transmission shop, does some stuff for us on the side.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks guys.. for a little bit there I felt like a Bonne owner in the midst of a club full of Rivs. ride

Deek.. yeah, I hear that. Talked to your local crackhead Regal owner yesterday. He had a few ideas and mentioned he had most parts to rebuild another transmission.

Going to start off with a local guy I know of and see what his thoughts are, if he's up for it.. I already know he works for low cost.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 1:50 pm

Before anything, I would drop the pan to see if there are any metal parts on the magnet.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 2:01 pm

oh, I have a slightly stretched chain in my box of leftover tranny parts if you're interested wink
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 8:07 am

The pan on my trans has a few extra magnets on it. (10 or so). First thing in removing a trans is to drain the fluid/drop pan. At first the fluid looked great (fairly new) and all was in good order. Then pulling the pan down, some sparkles and small amount of metal flake were found in the pan.

An hour and twenty minutes later the trans was enroute to the local trans guy.

Should know more Friday morning on what is going on. Many people..think I'm a little over cautious on pulling the trans because I heard one little thing or felt a shudder, hopefully I caught this early enough to save many other parts being wiped out.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 am

Well.. a little news on the situation.

Ended up being the reluctor wheel that came off the input speed shaft and chewed up the ISS sensor and channel plate.

The trans is ready to be put back into the car. Should be back on the road tonight.
Back to top Go down
Buickman104
Enthusiast

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 pm

That is good to hear. Let us know how the car is running after a good spin.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Drive it yet? smile
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 7:23 am

Mechanic buddy hasn't had time to touch it yet. Soon.. soon family first and all that stuff.

Got some pics yesterday though.

Possibly changing gears back IMG_2985
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possibly changing gears back   Possibly changing gears back Empty

Back to top Go down

Possibly changing gears back
Page 1 of 1