Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? Empty
PostSubject: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Hey guys.

Well, my 3.5" ZZP pulley is rusting, and it looks like shit. I don't know what it is with ZZP's pulleys that lets them rust away like this, but all my other pulleys are nice and black, so I don't think there's an excuse.

Is there another pulley I can buy that won't rust, and looks nicer?

I was thinking about upgrading to a 3.4" pulley in the summer sometime, but I'd have to make a FWI, which I don't really want to do. I don't want a bunch of PVC in my engine bay, even though that's the best way to do it yourself.

I wish I knew how well the "Custom CAI airbox" design worked, so I would feel safe dropping to a 3.4". I'm not going to add KR for no reason.

Well, the original question is still - where can I find a nice, non-rusting pulley for my supercharger?

Got a little off-topic there....
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 pm

isn't that an aluminum pulley?
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 pm

I wouldn't go to a 3.4 without doing something about your stock exhaust manifolds first, either a Plog, or headers. Have you scanned for KR at all? I have a Pulley Boys mps 3.6 on my Riv, it's a Stainless Steel hub, with aluminum pulley.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 1:15 pm

My INTENSE hub is stainless steel, the pulley is aluminum. Both are almost 4 years old with no rust. Very good quality, imo. I also have a ZZP pulley (painted black) with no rust that I use with the INTENSE hub with ZZP screws, but these are only about a year old.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 1:33 pm

So aluminum is the way to go then?

Damn... headers are sounding good. That would mean ditching my Hogan downpipe though, so I'd probably have to go p-log with rear ported, right?

Do they sell a rear-ported for the Riv? Or would it have to be custom?
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Heh... whoops! Just checked ZZP, and it comes with the rear ported.

Which version of these manifolds should I get? Coated? Stainless?

Edit:

They fixed the Y-pipe on the Pacesetters headers, now I don't know what to do.

There's so many options that raise the price too, so I'm not sure which way to go with this.
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:24 pm

I went with the SLP and have been very happy. I installed them with no issues and they haven't caused me any trouble in the time I have had them on. I hear there are some knockoffs that are much cheaper but might need a little "cleaning up" before install. There is another type... POGS? maybe... that are reasonable priced but don;t perform as well as the SLP. Any headers that will fit on the GTPs will fit on ours however you will need a different dipstick in many cases ($20 from dealer).
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Buapo wrote:
So aluminum is the way to go then?

Damn... headers are sounding good. That would mean ditching my Hogan downpipe though, so I'd probably have to go p-log with rear ported, right?

Do they sell a rear-ported for the Riv? Or would it have to be custom?

I believe every mps system has a stainless hub with aluminum pulleys. Is your 3.5 ZZP a press-on pulley? That is maybe steel, but shouldn't rust if it's painted.

Read the ZZP Powrlog info closely. You have options available when ordering. The ported rear manifold is not in the base Plog price. And you have to make sure you are getting the right rear manifold for your Riv. Their GP/GS manifold is NOT the same as ours! The outlet is located differently on the Riv, and I believe it is the same as the Bonneville.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Also, it's not particularly critical to port the rear manifold when running a Plog in the front. The rear stock manifold is much better flowing than the front stock manifold. I picked up a ported rear from another member here. And I'm aware of a member on MNClubGP that has a Bonneville ported rear that I almost bought first. I'll bet he still has it.

Another consideration: I believe you will need to tune to adjust for adding headers. Do you have access to a DHP PT or HPTuners?
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm

I've decided against the headers - I've read all the big threads and read ZZP's site... all within the last few hours.

I think I'd rather go with the Powerlog, and yes, I just noticed that the rear ported is an additional price.

You can spend up to $500 if you get all the best stuff for these ported manifolds!

I don't have access to a tuner, though Ed Morad is only 45 mins away from my house.

I simply can't go with the headers. Too much money, and I won't be doing rockers or anything higher - only basic mods.

I seriously think I could install the front P-log all on my own! It's right up front, and shouldn't give me too much trouble - but would the coated cross-over be necessary? Because I'm thinking stainless w/out the coating. I know that coating is considered to be important, but would I really see the benefits with a "basic mod" application?

Thanks to all for the replies, BTW. Too bad that most message boards aren't like this (and RegalGS, too - that's our roots!)

EDIT:
And yes, my pulley is the steel press-on pulley, unfortunately. And it was nicely painted when it arrived, but it slowly rusted out. My Regal's pulley (before it was demolished) was completely rusted all around - and the Riviera's pulley is getting to that point. I might have to go with aluminum (it looks cooler anyway, but I'm disappointed).

Last edited by Buapo on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:20 pm

I think you're making a wise choice staying clear of headers if you're only planning minor mods. Headers aren't good bang for the buck when you're only trying to support a 3.4" SC pulley.

For SC pulleys, MPS is the way to go, imo.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 6:05 pm

Quote :
I think you're making a wise choice staying clear of headers if you're only planning minor mods. Headers aren't good bang for the buck when you're only trying to support a 3.4" SC pulley.

they are when you're trying to tune for 91 oct
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Hmm....

I never took into consideration doing a p-log WITHOUT a rear ported manifold.

It would be significantly cheaper than getting a ported rear and going through all that, plus I wouldn't have to mess around behind the engine at all.

I'm liking this idea a lot. I could combine a p-log with a FWI and that would probably be enough to support a 3.4" pulley.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 pm

This summer or sooner, I'll install my coated Plog and coated crossover, w/o changing the rear manifold, most likely. I have the ported one, but not sure of taking the time to work on it. I have a crapload of projects to do in the next few months, not all car-related.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?   Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Supercharger pulley that won't RUST in the engine bay?
Page 1 of 1