Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

putting car in park while car was rolling

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

Name : Evan
Merit : 0

putting  car in park while car was rolling Empty
PostSubject: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling EmptyWed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Was this bad? it really bothered me when it happened the other day. When my car ran out of gas on a busy road a cop car had to push me into a parking lot to get me off the street but the parking lot wasn't completly even so when i finnally got up my car started to roll and since my car was in neutral and the car off i couldnt hit the brake. i panicked and put it in park but immediatley the car stopped and jolted foward and backward for awhile. these kind of stuff really get on my nerves, i just want to make sure that i didnt hurt or mess anything up or cause havoc on. but on the other side i found out im getting exactly 16 miles to the gallon. headbutt
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling EmptyWed May 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Yes, that's bad, but so is running out of gas and being pushed by another car. Most of us have thrown a car in park while moving before. It's correct to assume it's not a good thing to do. Next time try the brakes, but push hard. Mine still work in neutral with the car off (that's why brake pedals are so wide, so you can use both feet!). Then there's always the parking brake. Push it all the way down; your car will slow down.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling EmptyWed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm

yah thats what i thought. thankfully thats the first time ive done it. i tjust really bothered me becuase the car really jolted foward when i immediatley put it in park. but yah i also wasnt to happy that a cop car had to push on my bumper into the parking lot. i also learned not to trust your fuel guage too much even though my warning light was on but not completly to E.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling EmptyWed May 14, 2008 5:27 pm

AA wrote:
Yes, that's bad, but so is running out of gas and being pushed by another car. Most of us have thrown a car in park while moving before. It's correct to assume it's not a good thing to do. Next time try the brakes, but push hard. Mine still work in neutral with the car off (that's why brake pedals are so wide, so you can use both feet!). Then there's always the parking brake. Push it all the way down; your car will slow down.
agree
If it still holds in "Park" that means the park pin didn't break, if that is how they still work, not a good thing to do but it shouldn't cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling EmptyThu May 15, 2008 8:24 am

That's how they still work.

It's bad..however if it holds..you should be ok. Like Aaron said..you still have brakes, they are just not vacuum assisted.
Back to top Go down
etosino2009
Enthusiast
etosino2009

PostSubject: Re: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:24 pm

thanks guys everything is still working so i guess everything is ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: putting car in park while car was rolling   putting  car in park while car was rolling Empty

Back to top Go down

putting car in park while car was rolling
Page 1 of 1