Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
greg_anderson_78

Name : Greg
Merit : 0

Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts Empty
PostSubject: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:09 am

i just replaced all the pulleys and belts on my car two months ago after my superhcarger belt and the old pulleys got torched... for some reason after i got all my new stuff on i got a high pitched chirp out of that belt when my car is cold. today i was jumping a friend at work and i noiced my supercharger belt is frayed and about a quater of its width has been stripped away, going back to oreilleys to see if it will be covered under warrenty but obviously there is something else wrong here. i will be looking like crazy today and get back with what i find, otherwise ne one got any ideas?
Back to top Go down
greg_anderson_78

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:23 am

ok, checkey my sc oil, its not up the the threads like its supposed to be but ive never even looked at it so its getting changed today, i looked at the belt and it seems like it could be getting rubbed between the lowest idler pulley and the engine mount, the pully is very shiny on the edge closest to the mount so im wondering if this is where it is rubbing and making the chirp? how much clearanced doese somebody else have between that mount and there pully cause i cant even get my pinky in there, pulley diameter is 3.5 inches maybe i have the wrong one or in the wrong spot?? let me know..
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:35 am

Check that the SC belt is routed on the crank pulley correctly. It's very easy for the belt to jump over a groove during installation and become misaligned. Even a pro can make this mistake. A quick way to identify this problem is to stand above engine, looking normal (90 deg) to axis of pulleys. The belt route should appear completely flush. If a part of the belt runs out .125-.25" on the smooth idler pulley, the belt is misaligned. Imo, this is the #1 reason for premature belt failure. A properly installed belt of good quality should last 85k-100k miles on our cars.

Here is what the bottom edge of crank pulley looks like from front of car. You can't see it from the top, but should be able to from below. Shown misaligned vs. correct:

Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts Belts

Related link: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/sc-belt-slipped-off-t2383.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 12:43 pm

AA wrote:
Check that the SC belt is routed on the crank pulley correctly. It's very easy for the belt to jump over a groove during installation and become misaligned. Even a pro can make this mistake. A quick way to identify this problem is to stand above engine, looking normal (90 deg) to axis of pulleys. The belt route should appear completely flush. If a part of the belt runs out .125-.25" on the smooth idler pulley, the belt is misaligned. Imo, this is the #1 reason for premature belt failure. A properly installed belt of good quality should last 85k-100k miles on our cars.

Here is what the bottom edge of crank pulley looks like from front of car. You can't see it from the top, but should be able to from below. Shown misaligned vs. correct:

Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts Belts

Related link: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/sc-belt-slipped-off-t2383.htm
agree
When I got my last Riv this was exactly how I found the belt to be installed, I found it soon enough that it hadn't worn through but it was on its way!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Another way you can wear a belt or have it walk is to have a weakening tensioner. Aaron.. I know there's a writeup or pics right?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:11 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Hmmm we are missing the pictures of the tensioning marks and which is acceptable and which is bad.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:57 pm

I think this is the one:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/belt-size-revisited-t607-0.htm

(you can see why it's beneficial to merge certain threads together)

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:20 pm

I can vouch for ripping up a belt by having it off a groove... I'm just happy it was an old belt. When putting on new ones, or getting it back on after a pulley swap, double and triple check that it is correctly on the crank pulley especially, hardest one to see well. I also reach a hand down and run it underneath along the edges to feel it in place. When you first start up, immediately look for proper alignment on the pulleys. If something doesn't look right, shut down and start over.
Back to top Go down
greg_anderson_78

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts EmptyThu May 15, 2008 5:44 pm

thanks for the help, got new belt on, went much much faster this time, working by myself it only took me maybe 2 or 2 and a half hours versus 4 with two people the first time.. got new belt on, triple checked and its aligned correctly, put about 15 miles on it running the old belt back in to get my refund and then back to my apartment and so far there are no marks on it so i dont think its rubbing ne where, no noise either. thos tensioner pictures were good i went and checked mine right away and they are dead on... seems my problem may be fixed but it seemed right the last time i fixed it. the true test will be when i start it up tommorrow morning and its sat and cooled off well over night, cause that is where i always got the chirp... also changed my sc oil...WOW A) it looked like overused motoroil and B) 8 oz DID NOT come out of that thing but all 8 went back in... whatever else that poor eaton has to be a lot better off now then it was.. thanks for the help and will let you know if this everything goes over well...[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts   Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts Empty

Back to top Go down

Riviera has an apetite for supercharger belts
Page 1 of 1