Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway

Go down 
+3
ibmoses
deekster_caddy
allfalldown
7 posters
AuthorMessage
allfalldown
allfalldown

Name : Adam
Merit : 0

Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway Empty
PostSubject: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 3:59 am

Without a sound, the engine died nice and neat - coasted to the side of the road.

Plenty of gas, plenty of battery.

Car won't turn over, acts as if the battery is dead yet headlights, seats, stereo everything else work.

I had a stuck lifter - but I think even if this let go - the car should at the very least turn over, right?

What would make a car die like this on the freeway?
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevyorange.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 7:04 am

I don't know if they still do this, but it sounds like the old fusible links to me. Could be a completely dead PCM?

If you plug in a code reader will it communicate with the PCM?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:24 am

Its a long shot but, make sure the DIN connector has not worked its way loose.
Its the connector that has a bunch of wires coming out of it that attaches below all the coil packs. It has one small bolt that attaches it.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:41 am

I'll go borrow my friend's code reader.

Weird thing is that the car won't turn over - but has plenty of juice. You're right about sounding like the old fusible link - but when my last one went out on a very old car (79 Camaro) there was no power to anything at all when the fusible link went out.

As I sat on the side of the road, the stereo worked, all power accessories worked, the headlights were bright, etc. All the "usual" tests to see if the battery is dead/dying.

Does anyone know where the fusible links are on this car or if it even has them?

I'll go out and check the DIN connector too. Keep the ideas coming?

Also, again, wouldn't it seem as though if it were an internal engine failure at 70MPH that there would be noise/grinding/banging as you coasted to the side of the road? It is the one consolation I guess.
Back to top Go down
97rivman
Fanatic
97rivman

Name : alex
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 2:45 pm

sounds like what happened when my motor blew. check your oil for metal fragments.
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 5:09 pm

It blew without a sound?

And when you tried to turn it over it didn't even make a great racket?

All the engines that I've seen go make a great racket when trying to turn it over.

There is a single black wire disconnected that goes somewhere to the rear of the coil (firewall side). It looks like a blade type connector that slides into a female receptacle.

Not sure if it is important by it feels to me as an electrical problem so I'm wary to see it is not connected to something. I can't see anything obvious that it goes to.

[/img]
Back to top Go down
oldsman105
Junkie
oldsman105

Name : Enrique Patino
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 5:44 pm

When that wire was loose on my car it blew the fuel pump fuse. . Resecure that wire under your ICM . Then check and replace if necessary the fuse for the fuel pump. The fuse for it is under the back seat.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Aficionado
Jason

Name : Jason
Merit : 65

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 6:25 pm

see your other post about your disconnected ground...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Doctor_Meltdown
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 7:37 pm

What is ICM? Ignition meaning coil packs? And where under it does it go? Anywhere?

I can't see under the pack. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Checked the fuses - none blown that I can see and definitely the fuel pump fuse is good. Still not sure where the wire goes still. (exactly)
Back to top Go down
allfalldown
allfalldown

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Update: Got scanner on the car P0300 - misfire on multiple cylinders.

No other codes.

I'm starting to think my lifter that was collapsed came back and blew the engine? Is this possible? To go from a ticking collapsed lifter to complete engine failure without a sound?
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:25 pm

allfalldown wrote:
Update: Got scanner on the car P0300 - misfire on multiple cylinders.

No other codes.

I'm starting to think my lifter that was collapsed came back and blew the engine? Is this possible? To go from a ticking collapsed lifter to complete engine failure without a sound?

Even if the engine blew and was locked up surely the starter would try and spin the engine and make some racket.
I dont know squat about these cars electronics but I doubt that loose ground wire would keep the starter from trying to engage.
Maybe the ignition switch has gone kaput.

Forgive me for the stupid basic questions and suggestions but if the starter does not try and engage.

I would check the battery cables real good(I figure you have already done that).
Make sure it is not something simple like the shifter is just not fully in the Park position that is keeping the starter from engaging.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
baynes72
Amateur

Name : chris

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:29 pm

possible ignition switch failure. check for spark and power at starter .otherwise from what ive seen on mine poss. dead relay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway   Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway Empty

Back to top Go down

Car died doing 70MPH on the freeway
Page 1 of 1