Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?

Go down 
+43
KnottyEagle
matt270avian
charlieRobinson
knuckled1
BMD
Abaddon
BatMobile
madrivage
Eldo
Mikel
albertj
Tank
Jason
Snowdog
L67
DEMonte1997
Z-type
turtleman
bigriv0
1995 Riv
captshiner
Rickw
curious riv
BKRIV
Chicken
KillaKeninaRiv
Shintsu
rivwilly107
1998 Riv
dreww
98RIV7777
96RivSCMI
54_nailhead
BillBoost37
deekster_caddy
98riv
ibmoses
Mr.Riviera
T Riley
AA
SpaceBar
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Does it change the way it runs if you unplug the MAF sensor?
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Just tried that... There doesn't seem to be any differance at all- That means that the sensor is bad-Huh? ?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 1:40 pm

What's a new sensor run?  I have a spare 98 TB with the maf sensor, might be willing to sell it.

Wow, a couple hundred at NAPA. Chris, I'll sell my spare TB with the sensor for $50 including shipping. I'll even pull the sensor and clean it properly before shipping.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 3:06 pm

That sounds good man... Many thanks
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Replied to your PM.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 6:57 pm

will i tear anything up if i still drive it(but baby it) for a week till i can get another???
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 7:11 pm

It should work. If you had a tuner it's a perfect opportunity to get some quality VE tuning done, since that requires the MAF unplugged anyway!!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2008 11:11 pm

I'd think you'd be safe to baby if for a while.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:34 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
It should work. If you had a tuner it's a perfect opportunity to get some quality VE tuning done, since that requires the MAF unplugged anyway!!
Im still fresh out fo the starting gate as far as tuning goes. I have no idea what VE tuning is.(or BIN or some other stuff) But Im gunna keep on searchin and find out and if that fails I'll just ask about what i cant find w searching
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:56 am

Ok guys, refresh my memory... isn't there supposed to be a gasket or o-ring in the groove in the bottom side of the MAF sensor? Don't recall from last time I cleaned mine. The spare TB I pulled this sensor off of, had been cleaned up and spray painted, and there's no gasket on it. I'm pretty sure it should have one, and have told Chris to save his original gasket.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 am

I don't recall seeing a gasket under mine when I had it out for cleaning last summer...
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 am

Well, there is what appears to be an O-ring groove around the perimeter of the mating surface of the sensor body. I can't imagine it serves any other purpose besides holding an O-ring. I "think" mine has one, just don't recall for sure. Considering you can't torque down much on the screws, I'd think an O-ring would be needed. Or at least a thin layer of RTV.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 11:47 am

Got my maf in and it runs bette.
Should I wait a couple days before I go WOT, so i can give it time to get correct ltft's???
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 11:59 am

Was there a gasket or O-ring involved?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 pm

curious riv wrote:
Should I wait a couple days before I go WOT, so i can give it time to get correct ltft's???

Fuel trims really don't affect WOT. You should be fine. It takes about 30 minutes of driving to develop basic fuel trim info.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm

The one that I got from Dave had a o-ring on the round part that goes into the TB. (So does my old one) The was no gasket in the flat metal part that has the groove in it that looks like one should be there.

deekster_caddy wrote:

curious riv wrote:

Fuel trims really don't affect WOT.  You should be fine.  It takes about 30 minutes of driving to develop basic fuel trim info.
Thanks!!!

scanned(code reader) my car yesterday and the p0102 code is still there. I was under the impression that a MAF code will clear itself when the problem is fixed. Im going to check for vacuum leaks, cheack the connections, clean the IAC and TPS when I get home today. Does anyone have any other clues to why it still is showing a 'mass air flow circuit low voltage' code???
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm

Can you erase the code with your reader? I'd do that and then let it run the tests again, if the code comes back then I would look into other things.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:06 pm

thanks Andrew,
I read that any code for the MAF is a category 'A'-meaning that as soon as the problem is fixed the code will clear itself... I'll clear it first chance i get and go from there. Ive already replaced some ?able vac lines and pcv. If this dont work- I already was goin t take it to a mech for a 75$ diagnostic for a whell speed sensor and evap check- the shop will figure it out
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Sometimes a vacuum leak will manifest itself as a bad MAF, sometimes a dying O2 sensor or bad exhaust leak will also throw a MAF code.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:22 pm

possibly dieing o2. it does have alot of miles. i wanted to get a new one any way cause i hear that it wont throw a code even if it is already dead

How will a dead or dieing o2 cause a MAF code???
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 12:54 pm

curious riv wrote:
How will a dead or dieing o2 cause a MAF code???

The engine could be thinking it sees a lean condition, and no matter how it tries, it's still lean, and eventually throws a MAF code. Not saying this is your problem, but it can happen.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 3:08 pm

I"ve read all over the internet about the p0102 code. And the are a million possibilities to why it comes up. I need a 02 anyway. That will be one more thing out of the way, and one step closer to getting this thing fixed. WOULD MY GUTTED AIRBOX CAUSE THIS CODE(P0102- mass air flow circuit low voltage) TO COME UP????
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Only if you over-oiled an oilable filter, and the MAF sensor has an oil slick on it.  Otherwise, I doubt it.  Many of us are running modified intakes without a problem.

Just curious, did you remove the 'honeycomb' that's in the throttle body before the MAF sensor?
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 3:52 pm

No, its still in there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?   FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Issues?
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next