Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Better Supercharger

Go down 
+6
1998 Riv
deekster_caddy
turtleman
AA
TonySmooth89
lyonsperformance
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

Name : Michael
Merit : 0

Better Supercharger Empty
PostSubject: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:15 pm

other than moding the m90, I know there are better superchargers out there, which one would you guys buy, and why?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:28 pm

Well theres the ever popular Gen V m90 off of the gtps , worth about 20hp and can usually be found for 6-700. people who have them seem to really love them. And they sounds better too.

Then theres the MP112 , which can be adapted for use on a 3800 , looks/sounds awesome but isn't too much more efficient than the m90 , so most shy away from it. Idk about costs either but it requires a lot of custom work i'd think.

And then we have the whipple , sounds great , can make incredible amounts of power over the m90 but is costly at around 3k for the kit , which is off the market too btw , but should be returning soon enough.

Then there is the CSC option , theyre very effiecent , but don't deliver the low end torque of a roots or twin screw positive displacement blower.And they don't sound that good.Plus i think it would have to be entirely custom.

And then there is the turbo option. Lots of money , but lots of power , they say to expect about 400hp with just basic mods when going turbo. They make the exhaust note sound pretty cool and you can get better gas mileage in theory. Most people who want very big power go the turbo route.

Those are all the main options
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:44 pm

I was going to say TURBO! Best type of supercharger for racing. I think the M90 is better for street use. Torque is your friend for daily driving.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:12 pm

definatly only street driving but i feel that i need more significant gains, than the m90, so whipple sounds bad ass, how hard is the install??
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:22 pm

is there a certain model to buy or should i just google it and check for a kit?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:27 pm

You can do a lot with an M90 for less than a Whipple costs. Look at ewolfe, making well over 400 HP.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 pm

I did man his car is just awesome, id like to get my ride up to that level by mid year 2009, i will look deeped into the m90 mods, ill keep checking ZZP, and INTENSE, to find the best stuff, i have alot of work ahead of me though and id like to plan out the most efficient set-up up for street driving and occasional runs at the track,.....maybe.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 11:12 pm

Just remember the big supporting mods need to be in place regardless of the power adder used. ie Transmission, bottem end, top end, tuning. Still fresh in my mind, is a customer I spoke with a few days ago with a gtp telling me that you don't need an upgraded bottem end or breathing mods and stuff like that to make over 500hp using a turbo "because they are more efficient and don't strain the block and pistons as much."

I'm sure you are well aware that with the amount of work you look to have in store, your biggest costs will not likely be the power adder. Everyone that has done what I'd call a lot of work to make power have spent well into 5 digits on the drivetrain. The power adder is but one part of the equation.

Just focusing on the power adder, the genV is a tried and true and highly supported path to about 400hp to the wheels. You can always giggle juice another 100 is you feel foxy. That's quite a bit. Doubling stock power while maintaining full street drivability is impressive. If that's not enough and you are willing to make some small compromises as well as take the path much less traveled, the all mighty turbo can take you as far as you want. The MP112 is dead and the CSC is just a supercharger that really should just loose the training wheels and be a turbo for the amount of work it requires.
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 7:36 am

i was thinking , cam, lifters, rocker arms, push rods, FWI, exhaust, intercooler, MAFS, boost guage, oil pressure, and tranny temp, good tires, PCM tuning hoping this is the best way to go

by the way turtle where did you get the bulbs for your door handles?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 8:39 am

If you want to do all that stuff, you'll be wanting to do an HD transmission first...

If you are doing all the mods at once that list is a fine list, maybe sans ported/larger TB. If you are going to tackle them in order put the exhaust first.

-Derek

P.S. Please add the year of your car and any current mods to your sig so we can help you better.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 am

And you don't want to do both a cam AND high ratio rockers... one or the other. For what it sounds like you want, go with a cam.

BTW, are you planning on doing all the labor yourself?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 11:19 am

You can do a cam _and_ rocker upgrade, in fact it's often recommended because you want a roller rocker for the higher RPMs a cam will allow. You shouldn't increase the ratio unless your cam isn't enough, then you just want to go up to a 1.7, otherwise you have clearance issues, depending on your cam.
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 3:57 pm

wheres the best place to go to get tranny work done, and what do i need to have done to it?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 4:28 pm

From Buffalo NY? I'm not sure. I would go to a local builder (check w/ your local area GP club) who has done a few. Get the hardened input shaft and pump shaft, and in my opinion the gear set with hardened gear and 7/8 single hardened chain and you won't have any problems. If you are going for 400 hp you'll want to talk parts (or the whole thing) from zzp or Intense. Seems like people have a lot of issues with Intense's transmissions, but it also seems like a lot of those issues are caused by their LSDs. A typical HD transmission build is $3000 or less.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 5:57 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
You can do a cam _and_ rocker upgrade, in fact it's often recommended because you want a roller rocker for the higher RPMs a cam will allow. You shouldn't increase the ratio unless your cam isn't enough, then you just want to go up to a 1.7, otherwise you have clearance issues, depending on your cam.

Yes, I was referring to the more common higher ratio rocker swap. I see more guys choosing 1.8 or 1.9 rockers, or just going with a cam upgrade.
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 7:45 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
From Buffalo NY? I'm not sure. I would go to a local builder (check w/ your local area GP club)

I wish there were some GP, clubs here!

its alot less work, installing rockers than a cam, probably the same price range though, i have a better success rate with the rockers, and all the tools to do it, but then i have to have PCM tuning done right? and if i wanted to up grade to the Gen V, what would i need , i.e.) manifold TB, Ive also been realy considering a pulley swap, i want to go down to 3.4 i saw a list somewhere in this forum that stated what upgrades i would need to compliment such a change but i cant seem to find it again.
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 7:00 pm

what do i need to install a gen V? on my l67?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 9:27 pm

You have to modify your LIM or get one from the GenV Donor car, it's not that hard to modify, I did it with a cutoff wheel and sawzall for one car. I think the belt length may change, I can't recall exactly. The one I put in was also getting an IC, so the belt length definitely changed on that one.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 12:32 pm

For TUNING help in your area, go to Gary at www.hollandmotorsports.com
Back to top Go down
lyonsperformance
Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Ill call him and see. Thanks
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 4:29 pm

IIRC, I don't think he is doing tuning anymore. I would still contact him, but I am pretty sure he is getting out of the tuning business.

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55188

Enthusiast
lyonsperformance

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:55 pm

98riv wrote:
IIRC, I don't think he is doing tuning anymore. I would still contact him, but I am pretty sure he is getting out of the tuning business.

That sucks but im sure i can get it done somewhere around here, Theres a hole in the wall drag shop over here that helps all the ricers in there Homo-mobiles go what they assume is fast, im sure they can help or point me in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:55 am

For the door handles maybe Ed Morad has some but what I do is remove the pigtails from the door panels, pop the blue lens off, remove te burned bulb and solder in a Grain-of-Wheat bulb, then pop the blue lens back on. Because the pigtails are now made of Unobtainium.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 am

You may need to shave the back of your alternator. I did and think one or two others did. Belt size should stay the same unless you change pulley size or intercool. Other things that change are your TB either needs to be adapted or you need to change the TB, maf and intake.

Beyond that..it bolts up nice. Make sure you get the longer bolts required for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better Supercharger   Better Supercharger Empty

Back to top Go down

Better Supercharger
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next