Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

OH NO, my leather! :(

Go down 
+18
KillaKeninaRiv
turtleman
#1BearsFan
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
T Riley
albertj
stan
BKRIV
Jack the R
1wickedninja
Shintsu
SuperRiv07
IBx1
Chicken
Mr.Riviera
ewolfe0050
manofmany
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 12:41 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
So have you tried to remove this yet? The longer it sits the less likely it's going to come off.

werd

it may already be too late.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 8:38 am

I haven't had the chance to do it yet. Gonna try to get it removed today
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Attempted to clean it using dish soap and water, brake cleaner, leather cleaner, gasoline, and degreaser. Nothing worked.

The degreaser made the leather very soft to the point where it would peel off. I got that off real quick. Brake cleaner faded it a little bit. Hmm I'm at a loss.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 6:05 pm

manofmany wrote:
Attempted to clean it using dish soap and water, brake cleaner, leather cleaner, gasoline, and degreaser. Nothing worked.

The degreaser made the leather very soft to the point where it would peel off. I got that off real quick. Brake cleaner faded it a little bit. Hmm I'm at a loss.

Did you try WD40?

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Time for a new seat....
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

ibmoses wrote:
manofmany wrote:

Did you try WD40?

Bert tavis

No I didnt have any handy. Will try it first thing tomorrow.

If that doesn't work I'm just gonna wash it daily in hopes it fades. The seat was really in immaculate condition prior to the tattoo
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 12:05 am

It needs to be soaked as much as possible. If there is a way to get the leather to absorb some brake cleaner, that would just about take care of it. The other attack would be concentrate on small areas - ie soak a cotton swap in brake cleaner and press against one part and use a twisting motion until the cotton swap appears to have absorbed the ink and then repeat with a clean one. Make sure not to use foaming brake cleaner - just the regular spray stuff
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 am

I'll reiterate then I'll shut up (for this thread).

Contact the people at http://www.leatherique.com.

For the rest of you: the point is that Leatherique is a small company, family owned by people who use the stuff on their own cars, sell the stuff at reasonable prices, and have an A-list of clients (including the Smithsonian Institution). They can be phoned toll free at 877-395-3366, or emailed (George Pavlisko, Jr.) at lrpltd@bellsouth.net - they are not nuts, and no kidding they will answer your questions, and recommend exactly what you need. If plain ol' saddle soap should be tried first, they will simply say that.

Further - the perverse thing about using solvents on the leather is that they may set the ink, making it unremovable. I suspect that may be what happened with the brake cleaner (which would be alcohol or 1,1 trichloroethane usually) and the gasoline (which is benzine and some other stuff). Worse, you get enough of tahat stuff on the leather and it will attack the foam underneath, making it melt. Dish soap and degreaser both will remove the natural oils form the leather and it will start to crack up.

At this point I suspect the Leatherque people would have to recommend some restoratoin materials. I suspect that for about $125 or so you'd get everything needed to clean, refinish and preserve/rejuvenate the seat. As well as fix sketchy spots on other seats in the same car, like the lower-back bolster on the driver's seat where it cracks.

I have to run.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Try Fire!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Chicken on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 5:18 pm

*please sign disclaimer here*

X______________________________________________

and date it please....

Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 5:58 pm

i would go straight for the hardcore stuff. goof off and/or brasso. harsh, yes, but effective
Back to top Go down
jase386
Amateur

Name : donovan
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 2:20 am

i would try lexol leather cleaner first to see if it will take it out.
or some starting fluid on a rag. I use ether to clean all kinds of things, is expensive, but will work when full power simple green wont.

one other thing to try is look at your local Dollar store for some yellow stuff called LA's Totally Awesome. Its better than simple green for cleaning hard to clean things, but probably isnt as nice to your upholstery.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 am

Imo if you care about your seats, you shou
dnt experiment with them... Listen to Albertj- sounds like good advice
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 am

Once I put a hot pizza on the passenger's seat and the print on the bag transfered to the leather in the same way. I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser and it worked really well. Test it on a spot that's not seen first, because it is possible that it'll tear up the leather. It didn't mine but I didn't have to scrub it too hard either.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 pm

http://www.leatherique.com.
This website is deffinately your best bet, just like Albert said. Did you try them yet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OH NO, my leather! :(   OH NO, my leather! :( - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

OH NO, my leather! :(
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2