Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Supercharger oil (Series I SC)

Go down 
+14
nvsteve
pbrktrt
robotennis61
jbeganny
rchargrove
los1968
Mr.Riviera
palermocorey90
1998 Riv
jax95riv
AA
allfalldown
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:49 pm

sniperdude wrote:
Do you guys know how many bottles of GM S/C oil you need to get to properly fill the supercharger?

2 bottles, 4 oz. each, so a total of 8 fluid ounces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 pm

"GM Supercharger Oil" is for Series II superchargers, not Series I.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 am

I think in a pinch a 95 can also use S/C oil. ?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 am

deekster_caddy wrote:

Why not? It's an Eaton Supercharger.

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

Why not? It's an Eaton Supercharger.

I don't know. All I know is GM shows different oils in the book. I don't know what's in "GM Supercharger Oil", other than they made it smell like puke wink

Maybe the bearings have different clearances. Maybe the 'climbing' requirements are different. I know they use the same coupler but other than that I don't know if the internals and bearings of the M90 are different from the M62.

Could you use it in a pinch? I guess, as long as it's not dry. But if I were changing it I would try to find what they say to put in it.

Maybe somebody can call Eaton and find out why the specified which oils.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeah, it does smell pretty bad after it's been in the SC for awhile. The Eaton FAQ says their superchargers take the GM oil. In fact they warn against using anything else. Have a look.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Automotive/AutomotiveAftermarket/Superchargers/FAQ/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 5:09 pm

For ages, it was only GM oil.

Then a bulletin was released by GM saying the m62s could use 5w30 syn. This bulletin was also interrupted by some to mean the m90s could also use 5w30. People have used all types at this point for awhile now. Currently if you ask Eaton, they still only "certify" GM oil. And its GM in turn who told their dealers they could use 5w30.

I've never heard of a blower from failing or having lower life from different oil. Personally I've used 5w30, 5w30 with half lucas oil stabilizer, gm oil, and ZZP oil on both the m62, m90, genV m90, Ford M90 and m112. No issues. We are talking gear oil that also lubes the nose bearing packs a bit. Not rocket science. This isn't your engine oil, its for a blower that has never exhibited wear from the wrong oil in years. At this mileage its more realistic to figure the nose bearings are just plain old an worn. That’s what you need to think about rather than what kind of oil to put in. These blowers being so old replacement parts or blowers are cheap now. So seriously, people need to stop worrying about oil. If you have it available, go with GM. If it’s not around or is too much money for you, go with 5w30. It will work fine.

Can we please put the discussion of what oil to use in the SC to bed now? Its been a good discussion, but the donkey has been dead for ages. For our purposes it just doesn't matter.

Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Changed the SC oil on my 1995 today with the M62 SC.

It seems that several of the posts in this thread mention that it will take most or all of two bottles of the GM SC oil for the change, but that must be for the M90 with the longer snout as my 1995 M62 filled up with exactly 4oz (one bottle). I had bought two bottles, so now I have one ready to go for next time thumbsup

I don't think the oil in my SC had ever been changed, which seems to be typical for this 1995. It only had 43k on it when I picked it up, and I doubt it had ever had the SC oil serviced.

The oil came out almost black, and there was less than 2oz in there. Didn't see any metal and didn't notice any noise or slack when I changed the belts. So here's hoping it didn't suffer too badly from the shortage of oil. Time will tell of course.

I'll just add this to my annual maintenance. The local corner drug store gave me a free plastic syringe and I fitted about 6 inches of fuel line that fit in the hole perfectly to suck it out.

It took me about an hour to do the job, as I was figuring it all out, but next time it will take about 15 minutes I suspect.

Al
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: temp   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 am

al_roethlisberger wrote:

Changed the SC oil on my 1995 today with the M62 SC.

It seems that several of the posts in this thread mention that it will take most or all of two bottles of the GM SC oil for the change, but that must be for the M90 with the longer snout as my 1995 M62 filled up with exactly 4oz (one bottle). I had bought two bottles, so now I have one ready to go for next time thumbsup

I don't think the oil in my SC had ever been changed, which seems to be typical for this 1995. It only had 43k on it when I picked it up, and I doubt it had ever had the SC oil serviced.

The oil came out almost black, and there was less than 2oz in there. Didn't see any metal and didn't notice any noise or slack when I changed the belts. So here's hoping it didn't suffer too badly from the shortage of oil. Time will tell of course.

I'll just add this to my annual maintenance. The local corner drug store gave me a free plastic syringe and I fitted about 6 inches of fuel line that fit in the hole perfectly to suck it out.

It took me about an hour to do the job, as I was figuring it all out, but next time it will take about 15 minutes I suspect.

Al

The 95 can take a 50/50 mix of ,Lucas oil stabilizer & 5W30 mobil full synthetic oil.save a bundle next oil change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supercharger oil (Series I SC)   Supercharger oil (Series I SC) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Supercharger oil (Series I SC)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: