Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Heater not getting hot

Go down 
+5
AA
captshiner
Mr.Riviera
albertj
SamsSC
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SamsSC
Special

Name : Sam
Merit : 0

Heater not  getting hot Empty
PostSubject: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 pm

I have a 95 SC. My heater blows cold air, even when thrmostatt is maxed at 90 degrees. Radiator is full of coolant/water mix. A/C works fine blows ice cold. What could be the situation on the heater?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 2:55 pm

blocked heater core, malfunctioning heater blower doors or HW valves - but you probably already know this. There's no chronic problem with a magic solution here.

Your car been sitting a while?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 2:55 pm

could be any of the following-
heater core hose has a clog or is collapsed.
actuators are not turning to allow hot air to flow into the cabin. (most likely IMO)
your WP is broken. (car would overheat)
temp control is broken.

if the air ice cold, or just not hot?
what is the ambient temp and car temp when you are running the heat?
do all the vents blow the same temp, or does the dash/floor feel different?

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 2:56 pm

damn albert, you beat me to it by mere seconds!

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 3:05 pm

tick

tick

tick

thumbsup

Albertj
Back to top Go down
SamsSC
Special

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 pm

Car has not been sitting. It's daily driver. Ambient temp is 50-60 when I attempt to use heater (Hey, I'm a weenie this is Southern California), but air is ice cold with compressor on, very cool with just the blower. All vents blow about the same temp. It has to be the actuators or the core. Probably the core, since the directional controls (bi-level, upper, lower etc) seem to work fine. How hard is the core to remove?
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:44 pm

Just curious, if you're in So-Cal then why do you even need the heater? Here in OH I still have the windows down until it gets to be like 40*F.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Is the heat still off if you turn the temp all the way up?

Maybe the cabin air temp sensor quit? and is telling the car that the cabin is warm, so it runs the AC full tilt and won't turn on the heater.

Albert
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm

If the cabin sensor failed, wouldn't that just cause a problem in auto mode? If you manually increased the heat, shouldn't matter what the sensor sees, imo.

I'm betting it's something to do with mechanical directing of hot air (flap/door, or actuator stuck or failed. Maybe remove some of the plastic under the dash and see if any heat comes out.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:51 pm

AA wrote:
If the cabin sensor failed, wouldn't that just cause a problem in auto mode? If you manually increased the heat, shouldn't matter what the sensor sees, imo.

Nope. The manual heat number setting still uses automatic temp control based on the cabin sensor. Could be the actuator for the main blend door.

Also, if you have problems with your IAT sensor, the HVAC has problems with figuring out the outside temperature. (even though it has it's own separate sensor...)
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 1:30 am

I'm saying actuator , i have to turn mine by hand during the season change(Summer to winter)
Back to top Go down
SamsSC
Special

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:29 pm

OK, guys here's an update. Outside temp 49 degrees. Thermostat on 90. Climate control on "Bi-Level". On bi-level the two middle air outlets on the dash blow hot. The outside dash outlets, floor, door and rear passenger outlets blow ice cold.. Does this narrow the problem down?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 1:10 pm

You have an actuator not working. The problem is I can't tell you right now which one, there are 5 total. Their not to hard to access.
Let me look in the book for a while and I'll get back to on which one is the problem child.
There are some excellent pictures of these actuator motors in a thread on this board somewhere. Will have to search or whoever posted them might be able to help also.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 1:15 pm

Does everything work normal in the Defrost Mode. ?
Air to windshield and some to floor only ? Air shouldn't come out of any of the front vents in defrost mode.
Need to know for troubleshooting.
With Controller in Auto position and outside temp lower than cabin temp, where if anywhere are you getting heated air ?
I know you said if you manually command full hot (90*) your getting the mixture you describe, but what happens in AUTO ?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 2:13 pm

The 95 must be different than mine (98) because I don't have a "Bi-Level" setting and there's nothing in the factory manual discussing bi-level.

FYI, The HVAC programmer energizes the air mix actuators to perform certain functions. (open, close, mix, etc.) Need to determine what's not doing it's job.

Look at this link, I know it won't solve your problem but it gives you a view of the actuators,
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/interior-f20/write-up-hvac-assembly-t2500.htm
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:14 pm

Rick, bi-level is mid- and floor at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I was wondering if his 95 had a specific Bi-Level setting, if it did then what I have for tech data may not be what he needs.
Back to top Go down
1995 Riv
Enthusiast

Name : Don
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 11:40 pm

My 95 Has a Bi-level button.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 11:43 pm

Sam,
I'm afraid that the 1998 factory manual is not going to help me help you. I'd be giving you incorrect info on how your system is supposed to work.
Who has the 1995 manuals that can help out Sam with his HVAC problem ???
Sorry

Thanks for the info Don.
Back to top Go down
whit2285
Enthusiast
whit2285

Name : Mike
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 3:17 am

passenger side , take glove box out look to the left you should see the actuator black in color 5 sides. take it off and the turn the little knob behind it. should work then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heater not getting hot   Heater not  getting hot Empty

Back to top Go down

Heater not getting hot
Page 1 of 1