Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Infant Child Car Seat

Go down 
+6
captshiner
deekster_caddy
1998 Riv
curious riv
96RIVMANN
manofmany
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

Infant Child Car Seat Empty
PostSubject: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 10:44 pm

I know I'm not the only one to put one in the Riv

How do you do it correctly? Side or middle? I can't seem to get the side belts to "lock" per se thus the car seat will freely pull forward. Not safe enough for me.

The middle I cant get tight end and the bottom will pull right out. There has to be a way to safe get one of these in the Riv.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 10:49 pm

The rear seatbelts in my '96 don't lock either. What I do is when I slide it through the back of the child seat I put my knee in the seat and pull the belt like hell until it's tight. It should tighten up to the point where the seat is firm and not move around.
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 pm

never tried n da riv, my kid is 6 now...
in our old car the belt wouldnt b tight either- but if I gave it a good swift snatch,it would lock. so i didnt worry too much about it. (my kid is my life so i was [am] careful as careful as ever) Try the Riv... yank the hell out of the top part of the belt, c if if locks.... Regardless, I will waste my breathe t tell u dont take chances. My idea was,,, my kid was ALWAYS safest in the middle seat. If we got hit on either side- he'd b n the middle. If we get hit n the front , he'd still b n the middle.... Good luck- best wishes t ur family... Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 am

96RIVMANN wrote:
The rear seatbelts in my '96 don't lock either. What I do is when I slide it through the back of the child seat I put my knee in the seat and pull the belt like hell until it's tight. It should tighten up to the point where the seat is firm and not move around.

That's basically how mine works. I get it all hooked up, then I push the seat back/down with my knee, while pulling up on the upper strap to take out the slack. It holds firm, and I can't move the seat at all. I believe this is what I read in the manual.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:06 pm

I had to stack a couple of rolled up towels under the back of a Graco to get the belts to pull tight in my '98. My daughter is 4 now and big enough for the booster seats, but I've had my Riv through all the different seats. It is possible...
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:45 pm

I have a folded towel under my son's seat, to protect the leather. But if you use the fork doohicky that comes with most car seats it helps greatly. You should also press your knee in the seat like mentioned before when you thighten it down. As long as the seat dosen's move any more than one inch in any direction the kid will be fine. you can put it in any of the BACK seats, that dosen't matter either, it's a comfort and convieniance thing.

Here's what the doohicky looks like:
Infant Child Car Seat Doohicky
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 7:37 am

1998 Riv wrote:
96RIVMANN wrote:

That's basically how mine works. I get it all hooked up, then I push the seat back/down with my knee, while pulling up on the upper strap to take out the slack. It holds firm, and I can't move the seat at all. I believe this is what I read in the manual.

See I do that but since the belt doesn't lock I can pull it straight forward on the sides.

I think I'm gonna have to get one of those locking clips asap.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 pm

Unless you're in a hurry, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you an extra one.
Back to top Go down
captshiner
Junkie
captshiner

Name : Andrew
Merit : -1

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 4:25 pm

What kind of car seat is it? Chances are it's on the seat/base already, just look for it. All three of the one's I've had have had them clipped onto it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572362129
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 4:42 pm

Yep, they are usually clipped on the bottom or back side of new seats.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 6:14 pm

I just came across a "Information Service Bulletin" from GM titled "Top Tether Hardware Package for Child Restraint Seats" applicable to all passenger cars and light duty trucks.
"Beginning August 15, 1997, GM will provide Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Packages to customers in the US who request them." These kits were and may still be available for free and if the customer requested installation they would perform that also for free.
Install Kits are available for "G" Platform (Riv's and Aurora's & many others) and the following are P/N's for Rear Outboard and Rear Center placement for 1995 thru 1999 Riviera's and Aurora's.
Rear Outboard P/N 25612096
Rear Center P/N 25612093
SB # 73-16-11; Dated August, 1997. Should be available at your local dealer.
If some one can tell me how to post the TSB here I will if necessary or PM me your email address and I can send it to you that way in pdf format.

Last edited by Rickw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 7:07 pm

Rickw wrote:
I just came across a Service Bulletin from GM titled "Top Tether Hardware Package for Child Restraint Seats" applicable to all passenger cars and light duty trucks.
"Beginning August 15, 1997, GM will provide Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Packages to customers in the US who request them." These kits were and may still be available for free and if the customer requested installation they would perform that also for free.
Install Kits are available for "G" Platform (Riv's and Aurora's & many others) and the following are P/N's for Rear Outboard and Rear Center placement for 1995 thru 1999 Riviera's and Aurora's.
Rear Center P/N 25612093
TSB #73-16-11; Dated August, 1997. Should be available at your local dealer.
If some one can tell me how to post the TSB here I will if necessary.

Wow, good find Rick! I'll look into this, our next is due in February...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Well, Congratulations.
I hope these kits are still available for everyone that needs one.
Back to top Go down
KillaKeninaRiv
Addict
KillaKeninaRiv

Name : Kenneth
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 9:38 pm

lol i did, but i never had a problem with installing it. the problem was in pulling my seats out to get to the seat belts because i put them underneath the seats since my girlfriends brother and sister insist on wearing them even if they are in the backseat of a car. why..i dont know
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Do you need the Service Bulletin Kit for them?
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptySat Dec 27, 2008 12:19 am

wow.. i wanna baby seat in my car add 10 horsepower im down
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 10:11 am

Does anybody know what to ask for or have a link to the service bulletin on this? I don't want to sound/look like I don't know wth I'm talking about when I go to the dealer.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 10:16 am

TSB #73-16-11; Dated August, 1997. All you should have to give them is the TSB number.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 2:31 pm

I can send the SB to anyone interested if you PM me your email address or post your email address.
Note: The SB lists ALL GM vehicles that apply (This SB covers 1989 thru 1999, there may be a revision for later model cars IDK) not just Riv's.
So if you or anyone you know might need a free kit for any GM vehicle including SAAB and Saturn I'll forward a copy to you.

Last edited by Rickw on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 3:02 pm

96RIVMANN your posting has nothing on it or I can't see it.
PM or Email me at www.irrickw@comcast.net and I'll send you the SB.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Rickw wrote:
I just came across a "Information Service Bulletin" from GM titled "Top Tether Hardware Package for Child Restraint Seats" applicable to all passenger cars and light duty trucks.
Rear Center P/N 25612093
SB # 73-16-11; Dated August, 1997. Should be available at your local dealer.
If some one can tell me how to post the TSB here I will if necessary or PM me your email address and I can send it to you that way in pdf format.

Just got mine from the dealer. It had to come from the U.S. and it cost me $65 CDN. It was no longer offered for free with free installation because it is now beyond the ten years from the vehicles manufactured date. Pretty simple to install. All the holes are already there. Even the carpet behind the backseat has a circular depression that you X slice through to allow the bolt and spacer to pass through. It's located in a wierd spot though. If an adult is seated in the center seat and an accident occurs and the passengers head whips back, his/her head will get cut by the tether tie-down hardware? I guess when the car seat needs to be out, so will the tether tie-down hardware.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 6:29 pm

I'm so glad someone has got that kit and is benefiting from it.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 6:47 pm

Yup, thanks Rick! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Rick, could you send me the TSB please! I am going to set these up. Do you know if it's just the top anchor or if it includes the latch points on the bottom as well.
Thanks
-Derek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Infant Child Car Seat   Infant Child Car Seat Empty

Back to top Go down

Infant Child Car Seat
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: