Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How do you change the ashtray bulb???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ghost88
Enthusiast

Name : Abe
Merit : 6

How do you change the ashtray bulb??? Empty
PostSubject: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Just got in my green (door panel, floor lights, ashtray) and white LEDs in (all other interior, license plate, trunk and underhood) and didnt see a easy way to pop change the ashtray bulb. Im assuming its a 198 like all the other bulbs but was wondering how the hell do i get access to it
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 2:11 am

You have to open the ashtray and lift the liner out, then take off the panel.

Do you have access to a service manual?  

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ghost88
Enthusiast

Name : Abe
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 8:56 pm

NVM figured it out. You gotta pull the dash to get access to the one phillips head screw thats holding the vent piece in on top. You also gotta take the panel over off that's on the left of the glove box (4 phillips screws) and the vent pops right off.

The bulb and its wierd holder is right there. My 6 LED bulbs wouldnt fit so i just placed the bulb over the opening and electrical taped it down. Will get pics tmrw night after i clean the interior up after almost 20hrs of putting the stereo in.
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptySat Mar 04, 2023 5:06 pm

ghost88 wrote:
NVM figured it out.  You gotta pull  the dash to get access to  the one phillips head screw thats holding the vent piece in on top.  You also gotta take the panel over off that's on the left of the glove box (4 phillips screws) and the vent pops right off.

The bulb and its wierd holder is right there.  My 6 LED bulbs wouldnt fit so i just placed the bulb over the opening and electrical taped it down.  Will get pics tmrw night after i clean the interior up after almost 20hrs of putting the stereo in.

Sorry old thread but I've only seen maybe two other posts on this topic. I'm trying to visualize this. I originally thought you can take out the actual ashtray insert and reach under to replace it, but all I ended up doing was actually push the clip that holds the bulb farther out into a place that I definitely couldn't reach. Then I tried to pull the whole assembly out and the tension springs popped out / broke and now it won't even close lmao

🥴
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptySat Mar 04, 2023 11:05 pm

LaFlare wrote:
ghost88 wrote:
NVM figured it out.  You gotta pull  the dash to get access to  the one phillips head screw thats holding the vent piece in on top.  You also gotta take the panel over off that's on the left of the glove box (4 phillips screws) and the vent pops right off.

The bulb and its wierd holder is right there.  My 6 LED bulbs wouldnt fit so i just placed the bulb over the opening and electrical taped it down.  Will get pics tmrw night after i clean the interior up after almost 20hrs of putting the stereo in.

Sorry old thread but I've only seen maybe two other posts on this topic. I'm trying to visualize this. I originally thought you can take out the actual ashtray insert and reach under to replace it, but all I ended up doing was actually push the clip that holds the bulb farther out into a place that I definitely couldn't reach. Then I tried to pull the whole assembly out and the tension springs popped out / broke and now it won't even close lmao

🥴

Much of the center stack can be reached from the firewall side of the stack, it is **open** back there.

Best thing to do is get a copy of the service manual set -- if you are going to be doing this level of work on your car then you will benefit greatly from the manual.  Even experienced mechanics get a little baffled by how simply the Riv is assembled because it was a bit different from its peers.  For instance, none of the switch panels in the doors are removable without removing the door panels -- but the door card panels are very very easily removed and then the switch panels are simply unscrewed from them.

Last edited by albertj on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptySat Mar 04, 2023 11:49 pm

Screenshot taken from the other thread,

But for sure was able to take the insert out but then when i reached up, I pushed the bulb holder clip up and from there it was gone lol...I will have to take a better look and also get a copy of that service manual online,

Edit: I got it, didn't realize how much play I had with more of the center piece being able to move

Thank you !

How do you change the ashtray bulb??? Screen10
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? EmptyThu Mar 09, 2023 2:48 am

The red arrow in LaFlare's photo above points out the little spring-tabs molded into the bulb holder.  
To wind up this thread I thought I'd upload a diagram from the GM manual to show how to get in there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24229483@N07/52735897329/in/album-72157618540359112/

While you may notice that they were still using a "Gen8A" photo with the 1995 divorced CD player, rolleyes  
the process is still the same...  Open the ashtray & cup-holder doors, remove the ash receptacle and reach above
the tray opening and below the CD holder to gently pull the trim/CD unit out from its 4 retainers.  
Alternately, I have used several fingers on each hand to pull on the protruding bezel around the CD slots.  

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you change the ashtray bulb???   How do you change the ashtray bulb??? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you change the ashtray bulb???
Page 1 of 1