Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Interior Lamps Not Turning Off

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

Interior Lamps Not Turning Off Empty
PostSubject: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm

I just got back from college to find that my car's battery is dead and it will not start. Upon further inspection it seems that the interior lamps, including the door lights, rear reading lamps, and front reading lamps do not turn off after the car is shut off. I already tried playing around with the twilight sentinel but nothing happened. I pulled the interior lamp fuse under the rear seat and they finally turned off. Is this a relay problem? The only one that seems relevant is the Direct Accessory Power Relay, but i would like to know if it controls those lights before i purchase a new one. Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 5:42 pm

You need someone with a 96 wiring diagram to help.
I don't know if a relay could be at fault or the LCM (Lighting Control Module). It is powered HOT at all times also.

Edit: After looking at the 98 wiring diagram, I found that the LCM ( actually called the Lamp Control Module) does not directly control the interior lights.
The BCM (Body Control Module) and the RFA (Remote Function Actuator) control all of the interior lighting circuits.

Also, might want to check the easy things first, like a stuck or bad door jam switch. Either one of these can cause all interior lights to stay on.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Hmmm, the '98 has a timer - ie even if I leave the door open, the lights turn off after 10 minutes. Not sure how the '96 is set up though. It can't be too different from the '98.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:04 pm

OK, as cars get more complicated we naturally tend to think problems are complicated... It sounds to me like you just have one of the oldest, most common boo-boos in the book.

I didn't see any mention above of turning off the Dome Light switch in the Headlight knob. If you turn the knob so your instruments are all the way bright (CCW, I believe), there is a detent and then it turns on the dome lights, i.e. the readling lights, the courtesy lights, the door lights, etc...

Put the fuse back in, close the door and play with the Headlight knob and I'll bet you're back in business.
santa
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:05 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Hmmm, the '98 has a timer - ie even if I leave the door open, the lights turn off after 10 minutes. Not sure how the '96 is set up though. It can't be too different from the '98.

According to the poop sheet for my car, RAP was new for '97, I'll bet BuRP was, too...

(Retained Accessory Power, Battery Rundown Protection)
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Eldo wrote:
OK, as cars get more complicated we naturally tend to think problems are complicated... It sounds to me like you just have one of the oldest, most common boo-boos in the book.

I didn't see any mention above of turning off the Dome Light switch in the Headlight knob. If you turn the knob so your instruments are all the way bright (CCW, I believe), there is a detent and then it turns on the dome lights, i.e. the readling lights, the courtesy lights, the door lights, etc...

Put the fuse back in, close the door and play with the Headlight knob and I'll bet you're back in business.
santa

bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk

Well I'm blaming my brother since he moved my car while i was gone....Thanks a ton.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:25 pm

L67 wrote:
I already tried playing around with the twilight sentinel but nothing happened.

I ASSumed after reading this that the headlight switch was tried and wasn't the issue.
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Rickw wrote:
L67 wrote:
I already tried playing around with the twilight sentinel but nothing happened.

I ASSumed after reading this that the headlight switch was tried and wasn't the issue.

Haha i pulled it out, and also moved the timing dial, but i forgot to move the dome light knob dunce Honest mistake lol
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:35 pm

L67 wrote:
Eldo wrote:

santa

Well I'm blaming my brother since he moved my car while i was gone....Thanks a ton.

You're very welcome! I'm glad I caught you before you started messing with relays or (horror) modules... thumbsup

{Never ASSume... }
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptySun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Eldo wrote:
L67 wrote:
Eldo wrote:

santa

You're very welcome! I'm glad I caught you before you started messing with relays or (horror) modules... thumbsup

{Never ASSume... }

All i did was make an ASS out of U and ME...well just ME in this case.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptyWed May 13, 2009 12:08 am

puzzled Wanna' hear a hot one??
I went out to my car today and had a dead battery!

I know what I did, I left the parking lights on after using the underhood light to look at something (that was one of my other early peeves - I changed out the trunk & hood bulbs with the brightest bulb that fits them both and added a second socket/lens unit in the front of the trunk.)

What doesn't make sense is that, as I said earlier, my '97 DOES have BuRP. I leave my trunk open all the time and it times out in the usual GM 9-minute "10 minutes"...

Interior & exterior lights use different modules, but they're both supposed to have rundown protection. After I take it for a good ride I'll sit out there & watch 'em for 9 minutes. I just hope it didn't hurt my battery - I like the original unit and I force-fed it with distilled water 2 years ago when it was dying and it's been perfect ever since...
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off EmptyThu May 14, 2009 2:57 pm

OK, if anyone's interested I found the answer to my dead battery scenario...

For some reason, the BRP for the exterior lights only operates if you've turned the parking or headlights on manually with the key on... Then, if you take the key and walk away, they will time out like all the interior and trunk lights do, after 9-10 minutes.

If the ignition is off and you just reach in and pull the knob, they run til the battery dies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interior Lamps Not Turning Off   Interior Lamps Not Turning Off Empty

Back to top Go down

Interior Lamps Not Turning Off
Page 1 of 1