Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

Name : Scotty
Merit : 13

Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... Empty
PostSubject: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Its me again razz
my front valve cover is very dirty. i would like to take it off and really give it a good clean. from what i see theres a few bolts holdin it on? i tried to look it up a little on here..but theres corey removed like half the engine when he painted it lol
is there a risk or is it a harder of a job then a realize?
looks like itll be an 15 min job right?

Last edited by xxsupergman25xx on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xxsupergman25xx/
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:04 pm

bumppp
Back to top Go down
Ash
Enthusiast
Ash

Name : Marty
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:10 pm

It's not a difficult job at all to remove and re-install the front cyl. bank valve cover. (Held on with 6 capscrew/rubber seal with metal washer assemblies)
Get your plug wire hold out of the way of course, and I'm sure you can figure the rest out.
The service manual says to re-install with GM 12345493 (or blue Loctite), and torque screws to 10 N-m (or 89 lb-in).

Be careful that you reinstall the capscrew seals and valve cover perimeter seal correctly. Don't let the valve cover seal fall out of place when reinstalling the cover.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ash on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more)
Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:58 pm

http://www.reflectiveconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=325

anyone ever see these before?
Back to top Go down
97rivsc
Fanatic
97rivsc

Name : mike
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 pm

I think a black painted cover with silver stripes looks badass
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2007661&id=1593150315#/pro
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 pm

you can clean them up pretty well on the car. get a can of engine cleaner and hose it off.
zzp sells them pre painted or in aluminum($$)
the inserts look pretty cool, but i wonder how well they would hold up.
one thing to note, you are supposed to replace the valve gasket when you take the cover off, hopefully it wont leak if you reuse the old one.

Back to top Go down
xxsupergman25xx
Aficionado
xxsupergman25xx

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 11:35 pm

hmmm. gaskets confuse me lol
ill have to scratch that for now lol
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 am

Ash wrote:
It's not a difficult job at all to remove and re-install the front cyl. bank valve cover. (Held on with 6 capscrew/rubber seal with metal washer assemblies)
Get your plug wire hold out of the way of course, and I'm sure you can figure the rest out.
The service manual says to re-install with GM 12345493 (or blue Loctite), and torque screws to 10 N-m (or 89 lb-in).

Be careful that you reinstall the capscrew seals and valve cover perimeter seal correctly. Don't let the valve cover seal fall out of place when reinstalling the cover.

Cheers.

Be sure not to overtighten the V/C bolts. 89 in-lb is not very tight at all. Consistent tightening makes for a no-leak finish. I highly recommend an inch-lb torque wrench, although I know a lot of people have done it by hand. It's the consistency that matters.

xxsupergman25xx wrote:
hmmm. gaskets confuse me lol
ill have to scratch that for now lol

The gasket is very simple. Remove, clean valve cover, replace with new gasket. It's a rubber gasket that uses NO RTV, and slides into a channel in the valve cover, so when you put the new gasket in, a couple of dabs of grease to hold it in place and run some oil around the whole thing with your finger, kind of like an oil filter, is all you need. If gaskets are confusing to you, maybe you should have somebody with experience show you how to do it. It's really not that difficult.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...   Valve Covers - Clean - Decals... Empty

Back to top Go down

Valve Covers - Clean - Decals...
Page 1 of 1