Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

whats this part?

Go down 
+4
sburch23
Mr.Riviera
manofmany
1wickedninja
8 posters
AuthorMessage
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

Name : Josh
Merit : 5

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 pm

whats this part? IMG_0055 whats this part? IMG_0056 THAT L SHAPED ELBOW? I GOT A PIN HOLE IN MINE AND IT SQUIRTS OUT COOLANT WHEN I GIVE IT GAS. WERE CAN I GET IT AND WHAT IS IT CALLED? HOW HARD IS IT 2 CHANGE? I HAVENT REALY MESSED WITH IT YET.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/1wickedninja
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:52 pm

never mind my bad its a heater hose fitting. anybody know if it just pops out and back in?
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Pretty sure it just pulls off with some force. It might feel stuck on there. Wiggling it up and down firmly while pulling should do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 pm

it is hard plastic and a 90* bend so it wont just pop out. i had mine out when i pulled the timing cover.
rockauto has that part for a good price, i remember looking it up before.
if i recall, you have to take the tensioner bracket off to pull that piece. it is just press fitted in there with 2 O-rings.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:04 pm

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1022038,parttype,14166

$2.18 gotta love rockauto.

you might be able to get it out without removing anything, but i doubt it since it is held in by 2 non moving parts IIRC.

Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:18 pm

got it out but cant get it back in lol!
Back to top Go down
sburch23
Addict
sburch23

Name : Scott
Merit : 14

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm

When I replaced pulleys and belts I had these replaced as well. They were very brittle. I have over 232,000 miles on mine so they had seen a lot of heat but I would recommend everyone check theirs out. A failure, even partial like Josh's could lead to a fried engine.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 6:08 pm

1wickedninja wrote:
got it out but cant get it back in lol!

I should think that you have to unbolt the alternator bracket/coolant-passage that it attaches to, then push it into the motor and push the bracket onto it.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:56 pm

They have O-rings on them. Spray with WD40 to assist with the install... and turn and wiggle gently while pushing.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 am

deekster_caddy wrote:
They have O-rings on them. Spray with WD40 to assist with the install... and turn and wiggle gently while pushing.

stop Do NOT spray them with any kind of solvent!

Coating them with straight anti-freeze will give them plenty of lubrication...
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 am

yeah thats what im gonna do. i just didn't have enough time had 2 go 2 work so i drove my monte carlo 2 work. gonna loosen up the alternator/tensioner bracket 2 get back in.
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 am

That is the upper coolant elbow.

Before putting a new one in, clean the holes well to remove any bumps or issues that might keep the o-ring from sealing. You can use nearly any fluid as lubrication for the rings. Just ensure you use something. I usually like vasoline and have yet to have an issue using anything else.

Easiest way to replace it is to remove the alternator and it's bracket. When doing this, be careful. 97-98 had a metal lower elbow as part of the tensioner/bracket. Replace the o-ring on that and lubricate. If it's newer, you'll use the other elbow in the package. The Dorman part number that most parts stores sell for under $4 is 47065. If they don't stock it, they can usually get it the same day.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:20 am

Eldo wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

stop Do NOT spray them with any kind of solvent!

Coating them with straight anti-freeze will give them plenty of lubrication...

WD40 is not a solvent, it's a lubricant??? I always spray o-rings with WD40, fuel injector O-rings, coolant elbows, tight radiator hoses... helps with assembly. Antifreeze would be a fine lubricant as well for this situation.
Back to top Go down
1wickedninja
Addict
1wickedninja

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:12 pm

ot it change wasn't as hard as it looked lol. just a pita
Back to top Go down
curious riv
Addict
curious riv

Name : Chris
Merit : 3

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:27 pm

i used RTV sealant for lube when I worked on mine. lol.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 5:09 pm

curious riv wrote:
i used RTV sealant for lube when I worked on mine. lol.

oooh boy. That's a big mistake. GL next time you have to remove it.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 6:46 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:

WD40 is not a solvent, it's a lubricant??? I always spray o-rings with WD40, fuel injector O-rings, coolant elbows, tight radiator hoses... helps with assembly. Antifreeze would be a fine lubricant as well for this situation.

Per their website:
WD-40 is the ultimate multi-purpose problem solver. WD-40 cleans/degreases, penetrates to loosen up stuck parts, prevents corrosion and is a light lubricant.

There's a lot more stuff in their secret formula than just lubricant... Even it it was just oil, you don't really want to put any oil in the cooling system anyway. More importantly, because these o-rings are designed for this 'water-based' environment, the material they're made out of may well be damaged by any oils/solvents.

On a recommendation, I once put soluble oil in 3 cars to lube the water pumps and inhibit corrosion. In a matter of weeks, all 3 cars had blown large chunks out of their radiator hoses...

As we agree, straight anti-freeze is a good assembly lube for cooling system hoses, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

whats this part? Empty
PostSubject: Re: whats this part?   whats this part? Empty

Back to top Go down

whats this part?
Page 1 of 1