Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation

Go down 
+43
stan
charlieRobinson
joshuadalegrimes
llamalor2112
abaucom
al_roethlisberger
69GSColorado
BMD
ghpcnm
dboydakid
Eldo
vovchik
robotennis61
#1BearsFan
Rickw
LARRY70GS
Mr.Riviera
TonySmooth89
patillac
KillaKeninaRiv
ibmoses
ToledoRIv
sburch23
Kustom Kreationz
oldsman105
jimmyriv
IBx1
ewolfe0050
Natesriv
palermocorey90
mr.19982tone
Ridin-Rivi
robertwolf86
T Riley
turtleman
97rivman
AA
racinfan
xxsupergman25xx
SpaceBar
Jack the R
99Rivman
97Riv-Jon
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 5:27 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
Yes, it LOOKs like that.  BTW, how do you get the factory trim off from around the shifter quadrant?

I didn't, I put it right on top.

DashKit8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

skatterbrane likes this post

Back to top Go down
skatterbrane
Enthusiast
skatterbrane

Name : Rod
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 8:18 pm

I installed it. I do not think I would ever do this again. I was expecting semi-rigid, placard-like material. Heck you can roll this stuff up and the "wood" does not crack. It is SOLD as real wood laminate, but it seems like photo paper to me. I paid extra for one of the 3 or 4 "real wood" options. This stuff is like linoleum flooring.

Chalk another one up to experience.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 pm

Hahahahaha......
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 am

skatterbrane wrote:
I installed it.  I do not think I would ever do this again. I was expecting semi-rigid, placard-like material.  Heck you can roll this stuff up and the "wood" does not crack.  It is SOLD as real wood laminate, but it seems like photo paper to me. I paid extra for one of the 3 or 4 "real wood" options.   This stuff is like linoleum flooring.

Chalk another one up to experience.  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think the kit I installed is hands down the best looking kit on the market. I get compliments on it to this day.

Back to top Go down
skatterbrane
Enthusiast
skatterbrane

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am

It looks good. And it may be the best looking kit. But had I known it was like linoleum, I would not have bothered. I expected it to sound like a hard piece of wood or at least aluminum with wood laminate when dropped, not sounding like Howard Stern's famous bologna meat tossed on a woman's ass.
Back to top Go down
skatterbrane
Enthusiast
skatterbrane

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 pm

Okay my first kit was the Sherwood rosewood. My next kit was also on a 1996. But I tried B&I kit in olive ash burl. Either kit looks very good. I find the B&I kit to edge out the Sherwood in quality. The Sherwood edges rippled on me when pressing down to ensure adhesion. The B&I kit was effectively more rigid and when pressing down the edges it did not ripple, yet it did conform! Plus I like that the HVAC/Radio portion was all one piece ala' 1995 style. So there was not a separate thin linking piece between the two large dash flanks. But one has to remove the factory trim around the HVAC/Radio to install.

In either case I removed the dash panel anyway. I would NEVER attempt to install this dash kit with the dash panel still in the car!!

I visited my friend who owns my white 1996 in my avatar now. And after having installed my two kits I could easily see that his kit (which was already installed when i bought the car) is a B&I kit. If I ever buy another Riviera (not out of the question) I shall go with B&I again.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 6:05 pm

RP is a bit thin lately, so I expect 8th Gen Rivs are becoming less abundant.
That said, anyone who acquires one and is interested in a dash kit, whether simulating wood or something like carbon fiber, do yourself a favor and strike Sherwood Innovations from your list of sources.
Why?
I ordered a dash kit a couple months ago, eventually receiving the kit, but with no stenciling on the door pieces that would cover the factory button function labels.
I didn't order direct from Sherwood, but my middleman did his best to pursue the correct parts to no avail.
Then I tried. Forget it.
Sherwood may sell stuff, but service doesn't exist. Nor do you.
They will not return a call or email, ever.
Go elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 6:21 pm

denim wrote:
RP is a bit thin lately, so I expect 8th Gen Rivs are becoming less abundant.
That said, anyone who acquires one and is interested in a dash kit, whether simulating wood or something like carbon fiber, do yourself a favor and strike Sherwood Innovations from your list of sources.
Why?
I ordered a dash kit a couple months ago, eventually receiving the kit, but with no stenciling on the door pieces that would cover the factory button function labels.
I didn't order direct from Sherwood, but my middleman did his best to pursue the correct parts to no avail.
Then I tried. Forget it.
Sherwood may sell stuff, but service doesn't exist. Nor do you.
They will not return a call or email, ever.
Go elsewhere.

That's really surprising to hear. I bought my Sherwood kit from Carid about 10 years ago. They must be slipping. The reason I went with Sherwood is because they had labeling functions when others did not. I was very pleased with the kit and it fit great. In fact, after I had installed it, I realized the passenger side door lock functions were reversed. I contacted Carid, and e mailed them a picture of that part of the kit installed. Sherwood acknowledged the mistake and replaced that part very quickly. I had to chisel the part off my door panel, but the replacement was perfect.

DashKit1

Dash3

Back to top Go down
skatterbrane
Enthusiast
skatterbrane

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Nether my Sherwood nor my B&I kit had the stencil for the armrest controls.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 6:35 pm

The rest of the kit worked out very well, sans the armrest pieces.
Wish I had a better story, but it's clear that there's nobody home for service.
You'll hear this again and again if you look around.

They might as well have skipped sending the armrest applique.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation   Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: BD Trims and Sherwood Dash Kit Installation
Page 12 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12