Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New member with a 97

Go down 
+5
Eldo
Rickw
deekster_caddy
GMFreak8
moldymac
9 posters
AuthorMessage
moldymac
Fanatic

Name : David
Merit : 19

New member with a 97 Empty
PostSubject: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi everyone! I just picked up my 97 fixer upper riviera over the weekend and have some work ahead of me. I picked up the car for $450 delivered with some pretty bad rod knock, but the body and interior are in excellent condition (under all the dirt). I already have an engine lined up and am going to pick it up next week (3800SC with 72k on it). The car has every option available right down to the block heater. When I go to pull this old engine, what can I expect to give me problems? Alldata made it seem relatively easy and am hoping they are right. I am new to these types of cars as I have been into the GM B bodies (Caprice, roadmaster, etc). This one looks like a lot of fun to drive, can't wait to get it going! I posted a video of the car right after delivery, its a mess, but looks to have a ton of potential. Check it out here and let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbdCVlRKNK0
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

Nice deal for that car. The AC Compressor clutch is a common issue with that engine. Welcome to the forum, hopefully you get it fixed up and keep us up to date on your progress. happy Just out of curiousity, what did the engine set you back?
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:42 pm

My clutch looks like its going, its kind of turning in the video with the AC off. Hoping my replacement comes with a compressor in good shape.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:48 pm

moldymac wrote:
My clutch looks like its going, its kind of turning in the video with the AC off. Hoping my replacement comes with a compressor in good shape.

Compressors usually don't go bad, it's usually just the clutch. Which sets you back about $95.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:55 pm

moldymac wrote:
Hi everyone! I just picked up my 97 fixer upper riviera over the weekend and have some work ahead of me. I picked up the car for $450 delivered with some pretty bad rod knock, but the body and interior are in excellent condition (under all the dirt). I already have an engine lined up and am going to pick it up next week (3800SC with 72k on it). The car has every option available right down to the block heater. When I go to pull this old engine, what can I expect to give me problems? Alldata made it seem relatively easy and am hoping they are right. I am new to these types of cars as I have been into the GM B bodies (Caprice, roadmaster, etc). This one looks like a lot of fun to drive, can't wait to get it going! I posted a video of the car right after delivery, its a mess, but looks to have a ton of potential. Check it out here and let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbdCVlRKNK0

It took me about 5 hours from 'go' to have my engine out. But I also removed the radiator when I did it. I also have a bit of experience. Depending on your experience and work speed, give it a full day. Be most careful removing the engine electrical harness. The full swap should make a nice weekend project. The one surprise is the 5th bellhousing bolt, the one in furthest back screws in from the back side, the bolt threads into the transmission through the block, whereas the rest of the bellhousing bolts screw into the block through the bellhousing.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:04 pm

What year is the engine you bought.?
There are some differences depending on the series engine. As long as you got a Series II SC engine you should be OK for an easy swap.
Be sure it is a rod knock before just swapping / changing engines.
If it's the same year or model transmission and you can get the trans for a little extra you might want to consider it also.
Since you mentioned the trans in yours looks like it has been neglected and the transmissions are a weak spot on the supercharged engines. They don't take abuse very well.
An example is I bought a very clean, one owner car with less than 80k miles on it, but the previous owner never changed the trans fluid.(he didn't beat on the car either, I could just tell). Anyway, not too long after buying the car i had the fluid flushed and filter replaced. (bad mistake) It wasn't long after that that i started experiencing misc trans issues, and finally had a complete tear-down and re-build done by 85k miles.
Others have gotten a lot more miles out of them but I have heard of pre-mature failures due to neglect.
Just something to keep in mind, especially if your going to have the engine out and possibly have a deal on a low mile trans.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:27 pm

GMFreak8 wrote:
The AC Compressor clutch is a common issue with that engine.

I hadn't heard that... In fact, because our Buick V-5 pumps use variable displacement instead of clutch cycling, I was looking forward to never having to touch it.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Eldo wrote:
GMFreak8 wrote:
The AC Compressor clutch is a common issue with that engine.

I hadn't heard that... In fact, because our Buick V-5 pumps use variable displacement instead of clutch cycling, I was looking forward to never having to touch it.

Yeah talked to a few people about them after I had mine go out and did some research. Unfortunately a lot of people including mechanics don't realize that you can replace just the clutch assembly and not the whole compressor unit. I looked around and finally found a clutch assembly at autozone for $95 or so. Much better than $300 for a new compressor which is what every other auto parts store and a few mechanics I talked to said I would need to replace.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

Name : Ed
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Replaced my compressor because of a case seal leak, only held freon for 4 days.

Definitely a rod knock but get the title fixed before devoting a bunch of time.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm

98inSFl wrote:
Replaced my compressor because of a case seal leak, only held freon for 4 days.

Definitely a rod knock but get the title fixed before devoting a bunch of time.
First I had to replace a clutch that siezed up, then about a year later I had to replace my AC compressor due to a case leak as well.

Where did he mention a TITLE problem, i must have missed that.?

Last edited by Rickw on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 pm

He mentioned it in his video.listen thru the rod knock at 5:20
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:14 pm

nice find drain the oil and put lots of m.m.o in her drive might help with that knock then you can see what else she needs any way have fun with it
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Help with that knock?!? Thats terminal, listen from the second it starts and when he walks around the back of the car, no way is that going to subside!
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 12:51 am

Looks like the battery has been replaced with a non-stock unit... Are the rubber and plastic vent tubes still in there?
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 am

Welcome David!
Looks like a nice Rivi.... I also have a 97!
One thing that I have never seen is the cassette storage....
I have only seen the CD storage.
Well, keep us posted on your motor swap.
Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:43 am

Oh, I forgot to mention....
When you pull the old motor, you may want to look at the "Write Up's" section here on the site.
Of particular interest to you may be the motor mounts and tranny mounts subjects. Since you will have the best access possible at that time.
Post some pic's when you get her cleaned up and runnin'!
And again..... Welcome!
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks everyone! I am getting the replacement engine next weekend, so this week I will be spending my free time (what little there is) removing this engine. The yard doesn't know what kind of car its out of, they deal with a bunch of different places and get whatever is compatible. One they have lined up for me has 72k on it, but because I gave them some extra time, they are going to try to find one with less. 72k is just fine with me. Anything I should do to freshen my replacement up before dropping it in?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

See other your other thread for some suggestions.
"97 SC Engine Swap"
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 2:25 am

LOL Did you pick up that car that was on Craigslist in Madison, CT? Buddy and I had our eyes on it but decided to let it go because it was too cold outside.

Hope the engine swap goes well!!! smile
Back to top Go down
moldymac
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 9:54 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
LOL Did you pick up that car that was on Craigslist in Madison, CT? Buddy and I had our eyes on it but decided to let it go because it was too cold outside.

Hope the engine swap goes well!!! smile

Thats the one! It was well worth dealing with the cold to pick up.
Back to top Go down
98inSFl
Enthusiast
98inSFl

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Good deal on getting the title fixed first!
Snap some pics as you get the engine changed.

P.S. I am MultiCrazyCar on youtube
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member with a 97   New member with a 97 Empty

Back to top Go down

New member with a 97
Page 1 of 1