Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

A few issues with my '96

Go down 
+4
Abaddon
Eldo
albertj
96rivsc
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
96rivsc
Rookie

Name : Alonzo
Merit : 0

A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Well I don't have a torque wrench, but Ill try and get ahold of one today
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:11 pm

You may not have bent the snout, but you could have bent that bolt. Make sure when you take it apart again that you tighten thaqt bolt last. I don't think you should use RTV to seal either.......you certainly don't want any excess getting hard and ending up inside the snout.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 5:45 pm

I have a tube of the correct sealant (Anaerobic Gasket Maker) in front of me and it says:
#1 - For making and dressing gaskets of all shapes and sizes.

#2 - Fills surface imperfections and cures quickly (how fast I don't know)

#3 - Ideal for aluminum and cast iron flanges.

This product along with the Surface Prep Activator should be available at all auto parts stores. When you use it with the Activator it will fill and seal gaps up to 0.050'. Once cured DO NOT RE-TORQUE as it will break the seal and you will have to start all over. Clean, Activate, Apply and Torque - Done.

But, as AA (Aaron) has said, check the mating surfaces with a straight edge and make sure they are flat. If the snout surface seems porous, Tape a piece of 600 grit sandpaper to a flat bench or piece of steel and put surface of snout down on sandpaper and rotate snout to get rid of any imperfections to a degree that the sealant will work.
Make sure surfaces are super clean after and if you have done the sandpaper trick make sure you spray the inside of snout with something like BrakeClean or Acetone to remove any abrasive, dirt or oil from the surfaces.
Clean the supercharger side with a lint free rag soaked in cleaner as well.
Buy some Permatex Surface Prep Activator and apply to one surface only, let dry for one to two minutes only, then apply a continuous bead of (I Use) Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker to the opposite or unprimed surface. Anaerobic Gasket Maker as well as any Anaerobic product will not work at all if there is any dirt or oil on the surface to be sealed. Even oils you can't see. So once cleaned properly, do not touch with your fingers.
Assemble the mating surfaces with minimal lateral movement, try very hard to put these two together without moving them and spreading the sealant bead around, otherwise it will leak.
Install your bolts and tighten them in sequence and evenly to the recommended torque.
Once torqued you can wipe any excess sealant from the flanges with solvent.

Good luck this time around.
Back to top Go down
96rivsc
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 4:43 pm

So I was way off. The supercharger sealed fine I think, I haven't really driven it. But I found out in leaking power steering fluid
Back to top Go down
playa
Fanatic
playa

Name : Mark
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Did you ever get the answer for your surging RPMs issue???
Back to top Go down
96rivsc
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:21 pm

It was my icm. Ignition control module. It acted up once and never again after I installed the icm. Before it would be non stop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few issues with my '96   A few issues with my '96 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A few issues with my '96
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2