Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Injector Help!

Go down 
+5
Abaddon
albertj
T Riley
L67
maggot
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
maggot

Name : Chris
Merit : 0

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello guys. i have a few questions about injectors, are they hard to change in the series 1. Is there any write up for it. Also should i go back with stock, or is the any aftermarket injectors yall are using. I have done a few mod to my 95 like cat back exhaust, autolite 104s , res delete, Custom cold air intake with k&N, 180 thermo. The reason im asking is im have problems with my car at a low throttle response. At idle its fine but if i barely give it gas it studders and tries to die, but it if i mash the gas, WOT it performs fine. I have just replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, throttle body, fuel filter, and no help, same problem. It studderd before i did all this work . The injectors are the only thing i can think of. I have also run injector clean through them twice, no help. i run 93 octane. its been doing this for months, seems to be getting worse. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 pm

maggot wrote:
Hello guys. i have a few questions about injectors, are they hard to change in the series 1. Is there any write up for it. Also should i go back with stock, or is the any aftermarket injectors yall are using. I have done a few mod to my 95 like cat back exhaust, autolite 104s , res delete, Custom cold air intake with k&N, 180 thermo. The reason im asking is im have problems with my car at a low throttle response. At idle its fine but if i barely give it gas it studders and tries to die, but it if i mash the gas, WOT it performs fine. I have just replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, throttle body, fuel filter, and no help, same problem. It studderd before i did all this work . The injectors are the only thing i can think of. I have also run injector clean through them twice, no help. i run 93 octane. its been doing this for months, seems to be getting worse. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Do you have an SES light/codes? Could be a MAF sensor or fuel pump too.
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm

any SES lights?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
maggot

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 pm

No SES lights and i cleaned the MAF when i changed the TB it looks fine
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:09 pm

maggot wrote:
No SES lights and i cleaned the MAF when i changed the TB it looks fine

Check the fuel pressure...I'm not sure on the acceptable '95 specs so hopefully someone can chime in.
Back to top Go down
maggot

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 pm

The reason i thought it could not be the fuel pump is b/c a friend of mine had a car and the the pump went bad, but at idle and light throttle no problem, but when he mashed the gas the pump couldnt keep up
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:13 pm

maggot wrote:
The reason i thought it could not be the fuel pump is b/c a friend of mine had a car and the the pump went bad, but at idle and light throttle no problem, but when he mashed the gas the pump couldnt keep up

My fuel pump croaked and it stumbled/stalled at idle and part throttle. Never hurts to check, its free! (with the right tools)
Back to top Go down
maggot

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:22 pm

what to i need to check it?
Back to top Go down
L67
Aficionado

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:25 pm

A fuel pressure tester, should be able to rent/buy one from your local Autozone etc.
Back to top Go down
maggot

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:28 pm

thanks! hopefully someone will know what the pressure suppose to be
Back to top Go down
maggot

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 pm

oh yeah, and my MPG sucks im avg 18-19 on a tank thats horrible for what i use to get. I get 350miles on a tank, i use to get over 400
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 pm

maggot wrote:
oh yeah, and my MPG sucks im avg 18-19 on a tank thats horrible for what i use to get. I get 350miles on a tank, i use to get over 400

depends on your driving - Rivieras don't get great city/suburban mileage.

suggest that you Fix the apparent problems (fuel pump) then worry about optimization (gas mileage).
Back to top Go down
maggot

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 pm

ok i just added the MPG in, i thought it might be a symptom, my driving habits are the same and im mostly hwy. I was just speaking on term of before the studder i had better mileage
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 am

The fuel pressure spec for '95 Riviera is 41-47 psi KOEO. When the engine is started, pressure should drop 3-10 psi and remain steady. Shut the car off, and monitor the fuel pressure on the gauge to see if it holds. If the pressure drops, you may have a leaky injector(s), or a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator. If you want to drive while checking the fuel pressure, you can route the gauge hose safely up to the windshield (close the hood), and tape the gauge on the windshield somewhere you can read it, without blocking your view.

I'm surprised it hasn't set an SES light if it runs that bad. I would have it scanned for codes if you can. Maybe the SES light is inop? It is possible that the MAF is skewed (as others have stated) causing the problem. I've seen it happen before without setting a code......

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am

maggot wrote:
ok i just added the MPG in, i thought it might be a symptom, my driving habits are the same and im mostly hwy. I was just speaking on term of before the studder i had better mileage

Yeah, but in these large Texas cities, highway driving does not necessarily proceed at highway speeds, and if you're running faster than 70 mph or slower than 50, *or* if you are speeding up and slowing down, you're not likely going to exceed 24 MPG. Riv gets great mileage at steady hiway speed of 50, 55, 60, 65 MPH--it does not do so in hiway driving with speed changes. Why? I'd prefer that one of the mechanics on here explain it if you're interested, but the short story is that if you are changing speeds the PCM won't optimize the fuel trim et cetera for economy, rather it maps for power and power costs fuel.

That said, thorough maintenance will only help - if you have not done so, then clean injectors, inspect air filter (even if recently replaced) and replace if needed, strongly consider replacing oxygen sensors if you have over 100,000 miles on yours (actually, its best to test them with a scope because if things are clean chances are they *will not* need replaced even at higher mileage), and finally inspect and clean or replace the MAF and the throttle body (these require different and specific cleaners, DON"T just wash with carb cleaner you will kill them if you do). 999 times out of 1000 you don't need to replace either one, just clean them.

Here is a hint. Start the car and watch the tachometer. If the idle speed is not sitting rock steady - I mean if it moves a little bit, like +/- 25 RPM (the needle looks like it's shivering; if you have a scanner that will give you digital readout of the tach then you can read it direct) (I use Car Code) - if it is not rock steady then pull and clean the throttle body. You *might* need to clean or replace the injectors too, we'll see.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 am

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for checking the fuel pressure on a 95? Where do I conncet the gauge? What do I do first. Just pretend I'm an idiot and start from the beginning. Lol thanks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 am

Should be a schrader valve on the rail somewhere? Looks something like this:

Injector Help! 3

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:49 am

on the 95 sc, that valve looks the same, but is at the back of the engine bay on the fuel rail and sticks towards the back of the car.

bullseye-shawn

Name : shawn
Merit : 7

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 12:46 pm

I got my fuel guage at harbor freight for like $10. Works great for me cuz its not a guage you use alot but when you need one, you need one now.
But I am having a feeling that his problem is not going to be a fuel problem. I would bet on a EGR problem or possibly a O2 sensor acting funny. WOT shuts the EGR off. Almost as if its opening when the computer doesnt want it too or know its open, or possible that the EGR is stuck open
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks AA, thanks Karma you guys are always helpful. So just to make sure I have this straight, I attach the gauge to the valve, take a reading, put KOEO and take a reading, then start the car and take a reading, then disconnect a vacuum line from the fpr for a final reading. Correct? Thanks again guys.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm thinking EGR *should* report an SES. Any variation in the pintle position from what the computer expects would set a code.. I'd save EGR to last unless it sets a code, due to its price.

After fuel pressure checking, throw a volt meter set to measure resistance on the leads for the Throttle Position Sensor, slowly move the throttle through its range and look for any dead spots that don't linearly match up to you moving the throttle. Bad TPS can cause what you are describing. After that look into the o2, and see about pulling any codes, some don't set a SES light.

Got a scanner? looking at your fuel trims can also shed light onto whats going on.

edit: and yes, that process for checking fuel pressure is correct. If you do this and the gauge reads 0, you may have to remove the valve insert on the test port. I've heard of fuel pressure gauges that don't engage the valve to open it.

edit 2: and maggot, check your tube from the SC to the EGR for cracks(look under the flange where it connects to the sc), they ofter crack on the series one, and allow un metered air into the SC. This is more obvious in the idle and low throttle, less of an issue under WOT where you are getting more fuel.

Expert
Abaddon

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Derek wrote:
Thanks AA, thanks Karma you guys are always helpful. So just to make sure I have this straight, I attach the gauge to the valve, take a reading, put KOEO and take a reading, then start the car and take a reading, then disconnect a vacuum line from the fpr for a final reading. Correct? Thanks again guys.

No. Attach the gauge, turn the ignition to the "run" position, take a reading (41-47psi). Then start the car. The pressure should be roughly 31-41psi with it running. Then shut the car off. The pressure should hold where it's at. If the fuel pressure drops, which could take some time, an injector or the FPR is leaking.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm

You also may also want to do what I did: buy a braided hose extension to allow taping the gauge to the windshield. You can then snake it through the cowl and watch/video fuel pressure while driving. Fyi, doing this will increase the price of your gauge by $30-50.

Here is my experience:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/care-maintenance-f8/testing-fuel-pressure-spark-chasing-kr-t3352.htm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:09 pm

True. "Inexpensive" gauges have short hoses. Didn't think of that when I posted on the previous page. Just used to mine I guess. It's like 4' long.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks for the correction Abaddon. I can always count on you guys for help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Injector Help! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injector Help!   Injector Help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Injector Help!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: