Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

AC pulley makes a lot of racket

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

AC pulley makes a lot of racket Empty
PostSubject: AC pulley makes a lot of racket   AC pulley makes a lot of racket EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm

It sounds like it is jingling. It's loud and embarrassing. I know it's the AC pulley because I can turn the outer clutch part by hand and move it to a point where it doesn't make noise anymore. I noticed that pressing on the outer part makes the noise louder. I've tried hitting it with lubricant but that's not helping. Is there any way to shim the clutch or just get that part to stay put? It seems to like to rotate back to the point where it makes noise every time I move it. AC does not work in this car, btw. In other words, AC can be selected on CC and the outer clutch does not engage.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I know a lot of you are very knowledgeable about cars in general and I need to think outside the box on this one. Don't want to replace this part. I saw an AC delete pulley on rockauto. That's an alternative but I'd rather just quiet down the existing pulley/clutch.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: AC pulley makes a lot of racket   AC pulley makes a lot of racket EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 11:56 pm

IIRC you can replace the clutch with a new one. Also IIRC you can 'borrow' the tools from AutoZone. and they have AC repari book (a Haynes I think) that details the job (I don't think the FSM details teh *clutch* replacement). Relatively new when it appeared on our model cars, the Riv's rotary compressor was subsequently used on *lots* of GM cars. As likely as not you can find a reputable auto AC shop that will do just a clutch also. The clutch alone is available from AZ and Advance among others.

You can't really shim the clutch becuase tolerances are real tight - like playing-card thickness. But you can replace the clutch without evac/refilling the refrigerant.

People will be deeply divided on whether to replace the clutch, install a delete pulley. or replace the compressor.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: AC pulley makes a lot of racket   AC pulley makes a lot of racket EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 12:22 am

DEMonte1997 wrote:
It sounds like it is jingling. It's loud and embarrassing. I know it's the AC pulley because I can turn the outer clutch part by hand and move it to a point where it doesn't make noise anymore. I noticed that pressing on the outer part makes the noise louder. I've tried hitting it with lubricant but that's not helping. Is there any way to shim the clutch or just get that part to stay put? It seems to like to rotate back to the point where it makes noise every time I move it. AC does not work in this car, btw. In other words, AC can be selected on CC and the outer clutch does not engage.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I know a lot of you are very knowledgeable about cars in general and I need to think outside the box on this one. Don't want to replace this part. I saw an AC delete pulley on rockauto. That's an alternative but I'd rather just quiet down the existing pulley/clutch.
If your not using the AC because something isn't working then you just need to disable the clutch electrically. It is electrically controlled and the system is still commanding it to engage.
You have a few options. look at your wire diagram and see where you can remove the fuse to the clutch or disconnect the wiring connector going to the A/C compressor.

I am sorry, I have re-read your post and you say that your clutch is not engaging electrically anyway.
If you don't want to put the AC delete kit in it, then you will need to replace the clutch if the current one is making an unwelcome noise just free wheeling. I'll assume you already disconnected it.
Back to top Go down
Riviera96
Amateur

Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: AC pulley makes a lot of racket   AC pulley makes a lot of racket EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 8:47 am

I had the same problem so I purchased a rebuilt unit on e-Bay. The car cools, in summer, much faster than it has in years. I had a local repair shop install it along with a new dryer but you have to know who is going to install it before buying it because a lot of shops won't install items they don't buy.
Back to top Go down
GMFreak8
Addict
GMFreak8

Name : Kyle
Merit : 15

PostSubject: Re: AC pulley makes a lot of racket   AC pulley makes a lot of racket EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 12:38 pm

I had the exact same issue. Replace the whole compressor and clutch. I went through three clutches before I finally replaced the whole thing. The clutch on mine would not engage, and made a horrible racket. If I hit the clutch with a screw driver it would engage, but not electronically. It ended up being a bad compressor. The clutch would try to engage, encounter too much resistance, and not engage. The compressor was shot and the clutch was essentially protecting the system. Don't waste your money trying to replace just the clutch. I did, it'll work for a bit and then you'll get the same problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC pulley makes a lot of racket   AC pulley makes a lot of racket Empty

Back to top Go down

AC pulley makes a lot of racket
Page 1 of 1