Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 6:51 pm

USO... if u didn't already know... I'm swapping the engine in my 96... the old engine had the coolant leak and oil was leaking into the coolant and gummed up the overflow reservoir...

I've read before about someone using brake cleaner and cat litter... I'm gonna go the route of the course oil absorbant and engine cleaner.degreaser.... just throw it in there spray a generous amount of engine cleaner and shake it up... the oil sludge is pretty caked in there... you guys think this will work... providing I clean and wash it put well afterwards do u think it will cause any problems after... I'm also replacing the radiator btw.... I have to go this route because there are NONE of these at the junkyard..

And I also want to wash out the hoses... I will probably end up replacing a couple... but a lot are less than six months old.... so what do u guys think would be the best way to go about cleaning them when I take them off? I don't want to do anything that will soak into the rubber and slowly leak into my coolant system...

Would a dunk in boiling or near boiling water with a mild detergent like dawn and a long scrubber like a baby bottle brush work? I just really don't want to replace them since they are so new.. its just the dumbass before I got the car decided to bandaid things instead of sol vin the problem which were the gaskets....

I just need some other opinions...
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 pm

if you use a dish setergent like Dawn and hot water and let it soak a bit the caked in oil sludge should come out, and should eliminate the need for the engine cleaner in the coolant reservoir. When I cleaned mine (they just get cruddy after years of use) I used a wire wheel cleaning brush, looks kinda like a tail, here's one (LINK)

Because that sludge is an emulsion of oil and antifreeze it won't be *that* tough to get out.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
wee-one
wee-one

Name : Randy
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Cool... thanks... it just looks really bad. I thought because it was oil too it would make it like tar sludge... what about the hoses.. will dawn clean those out OK too? Or thould I just use blue shop towels and just wipe them out real good... I just don't want ANY oil in there...

I guess ill just use dawn... ill still use the absorbant... I know the abrasiveness will help and speed up the process.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Seriously. Cleaning the reservoir, a bit of soap and non-clumping cat litter. Put it in, and shake the snot out of it. Rinse it out and it will be clean as brand new.

Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Karma wrote:
Seriously. Cleaning the reservoir, a bit of soap and non-clumping cat litter. Put it in, and shake the snot out of it. Rinse it out and it will be clean as brand new.

Yep. works like a charm. i think i did a write-up on this at some point.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses   Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning coolant reservoir and hoses
Page 1 of 1