Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tensioner question (Series I SC)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
adri
Amateur

Name : adri(95S1SC)
Merit : 1

Tensioner question (Series I SC) Empty
PostSubject: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 am

puzzled hi yall. im new here so im nervous..anyway im just gonna cut to the chase. the bolt on my tensioner broke while trying to change the pulley, but now i think ill have to replace the whole assembly (i prefer to), but seeing that im new all round to this i dont even know what assembly to purchase. i pulled it out from the car. its the assembly directly under the alternator. what is that tensioner assembly called? I have a 1995 Riv Supercharged. i also looked on amazon but cant figure out what to purchase. i saw one that said 'Serpentine-Exc w/supercharger. is it this what i should get? please help!!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi,
You are correctly looking for the part called a tensioner or belt tensioner. Try rockauto.com, they have an excellent parts lookup guide and list specifically for each engine. Amazon's part finder is not that useful.
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Ok. im making a bit of progress cause i got the broken bolt drilled out and the hole rethreaded, so now its to find the bolt to hold the pulley. i will still check out the site though to see what they got. thanks much!! i hope i get the bolt tomorrow so i can put this part back on asap.
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 9:01 pm

well we got the tentioner put on and everything, but now the elbow, or the place where the elbow goes ino is leaking the antifreeze out. i think i may need an o ring or something.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 9:38 pm

is it a plastic elbow?
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 am

yes robotennis(funny name) razz , the eblow is plastic. i dont think that the elbow is busted, even though i did hear that they do that from time to time, but i dnt know. me and my father in law are thinking that we didnt put enough/the correct sealing around the elbow before fitting it in. we used some gasket sealer..but we plan on using something that would be alot more suitable for that holding purpose. so sometime this wee we will take out the pulley assembly again and get some better stuff for that elbow.

PS: after changing my pulley and got the belt back on and such it keeps making squeaking sounds. does anyone know why? because everything seems fine. i feel like a dork asking all kinds of questions sad
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

could be the water pump is going,or the alternator bearing is failing....my 95s alternator bearing is shot.but still works.
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 6:09 pm

i dont think the water pump is going cause the coolant is leaking from the bottom side of the elbow. we even seen it spray from there. we probably need to look at that alternator bearing to make sure. hopefully we can look at it tomorrow if its as nice as today.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 6:22 pm

get rid of the plastic elbow while yer there.they do and will fail.i

f you pop off the belts and spin each pully,if yer lucky you'll find the squeek. but it ant allways so evident
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 6:42 pm

i guess they have metal elbows? i wonder if advanced auto has any? ill have to check. the squeak sounds like its coming from the tentioner bu it spins perfect. im wondering if i should spray some doube D forty on them pulleys to u know, get em lubricated. what do you think?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Quote :
PS: after changing my pulley and got the belt back on and such it keeps making squeaking sounds. does anyone know why? because everything seems fine. i feel like a dork asking all kinds of questions
If the sound is a "chirp-chirp-chirp", it could be the tensioner itself, not a pulley. Try applying force to the tensioner with a ratchet while the engine is running. If the squeak goes away, it's the tensioner.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 7:16 pm

yeah it is an occasional chirp...ok im going to try that, because i already got a replacement pulley because the previous one have a dreadful squeak to it, so we thought that it may have had bad bearing in it.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 pm

AA wrote:
Quote :
PS: after changing my pulley and got the belt back on and such it keeps making squeaking sounds. does anyone know why? because everything seems fine. i feel like a dork asking all kinds of questions
If the sound is a "chirp-chirp-chirp", it could be the tensioner itself, not a pulley. Try applying force to the tensioner with a ratchet while the engine is running. If the squeak goes away, it's the tensioner.

Great tip! I never thought of that? why dont I ever think of these things? sometimes I dont think I can think at all!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Just watch those knuckles!!!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:26 am

lmfao u know, i thought of an idea today. lecture I always see this infomercial on tv advertising this product called Flex Seal(liquid rubber in a can). i wonder if i could use that to stop my leak? instead of taking going through the hassle of removing the tensioner and ultimately changing the elbow(as much as i want to replace it). cause its practically freezing here anymore and i have to request help, and everyone knows how that can be. i really wana replace it but at least for now, does anyone think that would be a good idea? dunno
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 7:40 am

adri, just do it right and do it once. NAPA part # 6601745 and it's $5.00.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 am

magic potions only work in fairy land. in the real world busted knuckles and sore backs get things done
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 8:10 pm

So true Robo, so true. Excepting Seafoam, that is. lol
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Seafoam? if u got a clogged cat,the only clearing youll get is a blown head gasket
Back to top Go down
adri
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 3:41 pm

I have to say thanks for all the people who put in their time and tid bits on helping me with this problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tensioner question (Series I SC)   Tensioner question (Series I SC) Empty

Back to top Go down

Tensioner question (Series I SC)
Page 1 of 1