Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?

Go down 
+8
71stagegs
LARRY70GS
Riv95SC
2000ws6transam
robotennis61
ghpcnm
Mr.Riviera
c0reyl
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Andysdorm
Aficionado
Andysdorm

Name : Andrew
Merit : 6

How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 am

I too went to Maaco. And I LOVED their work. I had tried them first with my first car, a JEEP. I liked the experience soo much I brought the Riv in.

Cost me $998 for my previous Riv to get painted...twice. First coat wasn't to the quality the paintshop was proud of. that was 2005.

In 2008, I went to the same company, different location, for the same service. Ended up getting quoted $2k for their shiddyiest service package.

My green Riv still looks great after all these years.

I've heard local mom and pop paintshops with quotes upwards of $10k. NOT WORTH IT!

As for Maaco, people like to make fun and scoff at them to make sense of their own expensive purchases. If you can easily afford $10k-$20k paintjobs on a $1000 car you my friend are fortunate...the 1% if you will.

But for the rest of us there is really no other compeditor to Maaco offering similar prices so that's all there is if you want to preserve your car from the exposed areas from chips and scratches inviting oxydation and rust to develop.

All Maacos are different. My paintshop had to close due to the recession so I had to travel to another location 40 miles away. I was planning on the service to be near $998 I paid for my previous Riv. Given inflation, I expected to pay no more than $1500 for another Presidential service; the level just below the BEST. Ended up that their $250 piss ass Amassador package that only allows you to pick from 6 of their own colors with no gloss cost over $2000 when all said and done. I laughed and I left. Unless Maaco opens another location closer to me with better prices I will not use them again. But they did an excellent job on my cars.

Most recently I had my Miata restored completely at a vocational auto school. They did even better than Maaco! They are being trained correctly for a profession to open their own paint services. Complete paint and rust repair...$450. Insanely good.

To be eligeable for having work done on your car you need to contact the school and put your name on the list. They schedule vehciles to be worked on at the beginning of the semmester. This is by far your best bet to get a lot of work done for less $$$. They did mention the Riv would be double the cost and double the time given the size. My Miata took 6 whole months; so the Riv would be 10 months to a year or full school year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/671386
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:23 am

Every local Maaco shop will give you a different experience. Some are unbelievably good, some are rotten to the core and just out to rip you off. You need to talk to other customers of any body shop to find out if they are good quality, on time, etc. The end result is all about the amount of prep time put in, and not so much about the materials used. That's why rattle can jobs can come out pretty good. There's nothing quite like a spray booth and quality paints, but you can get really close with a harbor freight spray gun and makeshift home booth. Heck a driveway rattle-can job can come out good if the prep is done right and you are very careful.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 am

Here's some of what I went through taking my car to a local auto body class 1 night per week:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t3708p45-deekster_caddy-s-riv-pictures

I highly recommend this method. You get to learn about bodywork, take some pride in the results, and the work is whatever quality you want it to be!!!

-Derek
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:40 am

Corey: If you want flat black, I suggest you top it with a Satin Clear Coat. Remember, take your time with prep and painting ... good luck smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Corey: I am really interested in your project and I hope you will take a look at this series of vids for more ideas. Keep us posted on your progress.

YOU CAN DO IT !!! thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_CRilQO4A
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:33 pm

RATTLE MY CAN !!!

How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 P7101010

My work car We follow big rigs down the highways...rocks flying everywhere, broken glass, chips, road rash, etc. The entire front facia of this car gets rattle canned about every 6 mos.
Back to top Go down
2000ws6transam
Enthusiast
2000ws6transam

Name : steve
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 8:02 pm

yeah but point taken you have to re-paint it all the time... spend the 1500 and get a 10-20 yr paint job... it all depends on how long you want it to look good and hold up or if you want a short term spruce up.
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 am

A 10-20 Year Paint Job for $1500 ?!?!?!

Okee Dokee...but I guarantee you won't find a paint job (at any price) that will hold up to the work conditions I'm talking about, for even 2 years, without looking like crap.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:55 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
...but I guarantee you won't find a paint job (at any price) that will hold up to the work conditions I'm talking about, for even 2 years, without looking like crap.

You have a special situation. It does not apply to _most_ cars on the road. And I think your rattle-can jobs look great BTW!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 6:42 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
ghpcnm wrote:
...but I guarantee you won't find a paint job (at any price) that will hold up to the work conditions I'm talking about, for even 2 years, without looking like crap.

You have a special situation. It does not apply to _most_ cars on the road. And I think your rattle-can jobs look great BTW!

You are right, my situation is different. My work cars are subjected to much harsher conditions than most. It would be absolutely foolish to put a high dollar paint job on them. As I said in an earlier post, I would never rattle can the Riv or the Reatta. However, I have been talking about sprucing up the typical $750 car on a limited budget. I think that situation is also different than most. By the way, THANKS for the compliment. happy
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 6:57 pm

"How much would it cost to paint my car?" I'll tell you how much I just spent. close to $900 bucks.
All, HOK. KBC Organic Green,BC Galaxy Gray.plus all the supporting chemicals & clears.Man! My GF aint goin to give me any ass this Xmas I'll be beatin off in the back seat of my freshly painted whip! tongue
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 pm

PICS, PICS, PICS beer
Back to top Go down
Jamax
Enthusiast

Name : Jim Fleck
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Dave, I assume you're talking about his paint job.

popcorn
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Jamax wrote:
Dave, I assume you're talking about his paint job. popcorn

Ha Ha Ha...Yeah, I 'm talking about the new paint job !!! lmfao

Last edited by ghpcnm on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 am

Thanks! I wasnt in the mood anyway!
Back to top Go down
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Another rattle can project on my wife's work truck
How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 Winter15

Still have some work to do on this one...not as good as it looks in the pic . However, the pic does show the new grill, halo lights and rims (my wife's Christmas present)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?   How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How much would it cost to re paint my Rivvy?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2