Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Car dies abruptly on the highway

Go down 
+2
albertj
llamalor2112
6 posters
AuthorMessage
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

Name : Evan
Merit : 13

Car dies abruptly on the highway Empty
PostSubject: Hurtling down the highway when my riv dies! :S    Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Alright so she's been a real champ so far. 95sc 98k miles, brand new rebuilt tranny. But I was just driving down the highway at 55mph when out of the blue with no warning the oil and battery lights come on and my car loses total power! Engine died, power steering gone, difficult braking. Well I got her slowed and to the shoulder and turned her off. Upon restart she seems to run fine but my service engine soon light is on. Also noteworthy is my traction control off light has lit up sparatically for the past week or so as well. No lights were on during the event, only the oil and bat lights.
No idea what to make of this and was hoping I could get an idea from you guys before letting mechanic joe look at it pale
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
Alright so she's been a real champ so far. 95sc 98k miles, brand new rebuilt tranny. But I was just driving down the highway at 55mph when out of the blue with no warning the oil and battery lights come on and my car loses total power! Engine died, power steering gone, difficult braking. Well I got her slowed and to the shoulder and turned her off. Upon restart she seems to run fine but my service engine soon light is on. Also noteworthy is my traction control off light has lit up sparatically for the past week or so as well. No lights were on during the event, only the oil and bat lights.
No idea what to make of this and was hoping I could get an idea from you guys before letting mechanic joe look at it pale

Ignition switch (just a guess)
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks. I just got done reading through Ilan's adventure with his riv and similar situation. Mine hasn't been a repeat offender as of yet and idles very nicely at 1k. No bizarre lulls in its drivability otherwise and purrs like a kitten. I'm really hoping its the ignition switch now and I can get that switched out and get her back on the road.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Get that SES lamp checked. Might be a big clue.

My best guess at the moment is the fuel pump is starting to go.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Hmmm the fuel pump was my immediate guess before reading Ilan's posts. I'll be calling around tomorrow morning to see which of my guy's have an obd1.5 scanner. Honestly I'd take more solace in it being the fuel pump simply because I'd be more comfortable with the repair of a fairly routine operation as opposed to something a little more obscure like the icm
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 6:56 am

The crank sensor is another possibility.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 pm

My preferred guy says he has the right scanner to read the codes so I've got an appointment for 1:00 today to do that. I'll try to post em here afterwards. It'd be great if it was really straight forward, but being a Buick, when has that ever been the case? haha love these cars to death, but its a such a reoccurring nightmare.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm

yup,aint it the truth.she's like the gorgeous girlfriend who keeps fuckin you over.you dont know why you keep getting back together? things are ok for awhile and then she fuks ya over some more. I guess its the ride.
speakin of fukin you over,my guess its the pump.
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Hahaha lmao there's definitely a lot of passion right there.
Well my guys are a little swamped so I left her with them. Just awaiting a call back.
I just enjoy the casual nature of it all. I pull up and get in and Mike (my mechanic) says damn, that's a nice car....well, what is it this time? Haha
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Usually, a fuel problem shuts the engine off slowly. If it cuts out suddenly, especially while driving 60 MPH on the highway, I'd suspect electrical. Ignition switch or crank sensor will do that. Get a fuel pressure gauge and connect it to the rail. Tape it to the windshield, and have a look next time it cuts out. That ought to narrow it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
Usually, a fuel problem shuts the engine off slowly. If it cuts out suddenly, especially while driving 60 MPH on the highway, I'd suspect electrical. Ignition switch or crank sensor will do that. Get a fuel pressure gauge and connect it to the rail. Tape it to the windshield, and have a look next time it cuts out. That ought to narrow it down.

Yep, fuel issue will starve out the engine, probably with some stuttering or hesitation. On these cars the ignition switches will go at some point, it's just a matter of reaching the number of cycles plus or minus an error band... When I was dealing with my ig switch problem, I found out there was a service bulletin, back in the mists of time, for certain models of the GMC Jimmy, which uses the same style switch. There was no bulletin for the Riv, the mechanic who told me about the Jimmy bulletin opined that it was due to lack of data for the make/model combo.

And yes, find out the cause of and fix that CEL code.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 am

I don't know; when my fuel pump started sticking, the result was instantaneous shut-down at highway speeds. It's the same sort of instant drop-out you get when you hit the speed governor, which I believe is also initiated by fuel cut-off.

But I'm not sure it's the pump in this case, since the OP has an SES lamp, which fueling deficiency shouldn't cause. Need to read that DTC.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm

AA wrote:
I don't know; when my fuel pump started sticking, the result was instantaneous shut-down at highway speeds. It's the same sort of instant drop-out you get when you hit the speed governor, which I believe is also initiated by fuel cut-off.

But I'm not sure it's the pump in this case, since the OP has an SES lamp, which fueling deficiency shouldn't cause. Need to read that DTC.

Agreed. Chance it could be both. At the fuel pressures the Riv needs to run if your FP fails (intermittent) car should shut down pronto.

Someone with a Tech II could test that pump (command it on and watch the fuel pressure) without any trouble.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm

albertj wrote:
AA wrote:

Agreed. Chance it could be both. At the fuel pressures the Riv needs to run if your FP fails (intermittent) car should shut down pronto.

Someone with a Tech II could test that pump (command it on and watch the fuel pressure) without any trouble.

Which is why I suggested just running a line and small gauge to the fuel rail, and taping it to the bottom of the windshield. If the car shuts down, a quick look at the gauge will tell you what you need to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
llamalor2112
Junkie
llamalor2112

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:59 pm

UPDATE

Errors coming out from a ground short in the control module and the cam shaft and crank sensor aren't reading correctly because of it. Yet another $700 kick in the pants
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car dies abruptly on the highway   Car dies abruptly on the highway Empty

Back to top Go down

Car dies abruptly on the highway
Page 1 of 1