Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv

Go down 
+5
stan
bigdave
QAGuy1
albertj
designer1962
9 posters
AuthorMessage
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv Empty
PostSubject: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm

This has me totally stumped. Sometimes when I start the car all lights on the dash, the headlights, and taillights start to flash, and I hear the flasher under the dash clicking in time with them all. I was told that it had to do with low voltage, so I replaced the battery and it still does it. I have succesfully stopped it a couple times by pushing the hazard switch, or flashing the high beams. This doesn't work all the time. If I just start to drive the car it will eventually just correct itself. The last time when I turned off the engine the lights stayed off, but I could hear the flasher continuing. I could stop it by manually turning the headlight switch on. As soon as I turned the switch back to the off position the flasher started to click again. If the engine is off and the flasher is still clicking, it will stop by itself after a few minutes. I have stopped this every once in a while by turning off the car and restarting it, but that doesn't work all the time either.

I am totally stumped. Could the security system have anything to do with it? I don't know if this is involves the horn, as they are presently disconnected due to another issue I can't resolve. The horns will start blowing in the middle of the night and eventually blow the fuse. I was told that had to do with the airbag cover shrinking when it gets cold causing the horn to blow.

Anyone else ever heard of this happening? I am interested in the flashing lights mor ethan the horn.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptySun Mar 31, 2013 12:48 am

It's the low voltage but you have to fix this underlying cause (the horn I suppose) first, then it will behave.
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

Name : Russ Gollen
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Christmas eve on my way home, I stopped at a rest area, got out, locked the doors and left my wife inside. When I came back she unlocked the doors to let me in. When I turned on the ignition key all of the lights inside and out started blinking on and off. (like another posting in this forum)
There wasn't anything I could do to stop it. It eventually quit itself after a couple of minutes. I turned the ignition back on and it started again. After it quit again, I went under the hood and disconnected one of the leads on the remote positive terminal. This did nothing. I reconnected it, started the car and it did it again. I dropped the hood and it all stopped. I drove home and when the wife opened the passenger door it started again. I haven't driven it again since. I'm going to hook up my code reader (I presume it's under the dash on the drivers' side) and see if it gives any codes. I'm thinking it must be related to something in the passenger door, as that is the first time it was used to unlock the car. But then again it quit when I shut the hood

Last edited by QAGuy1 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 12:42 pm

I would guess it is related to the security system. Either factory unit or if you have an aftermarket unit.
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Security system huh? Will there be a code?
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 12:55 pm

The car is bone stock.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Haha....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 10:41 am

They sure put a nice shine on it!!! Does it have the factory remote/security or is there an aftermarket alarm system? (remote start?) (are you sure?)
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 am

Dudes, this happened to me last weekend. We were driving down 75 from MI to OH and all of a sudden my headlights cut out, it was pitch black, and all the dash lights started blinking hysterically. My car was possessed for about 5 seconds.

Then the headlights turned back on and the blinking stopped all of a sudden and everything has been fine since.

The only thing i was doing weird that might have affected it was using the His and Lows headlights together for an extended amount of time.

You know when you pull the Hi lamp lever back just enough to have both lights on without clicking it over to just the His?

ANyways.. WTF!?
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Yes, my car has the factory security system in it.

The only thing I can think of on mine is that I had locked the doors and left my wife in the car. When I returned instead of using the remote to unlock the door, my wife unlocked it on her passenger door. When I got in and put the key in the ignition and started it that's when the lights started doing their thing.
It hasn't done it since. So I'm thinking it must have something to do with the security system.

Is there anyone from Buick or GM that might be able to shed some light on this?
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 2:25 pm

It sounds like the car acted exactly as it should have. It's a Content Theft Security system. If you lock the car with the Remote, even with the windows down, if you reach in and unlock the car, the alarm will go off, and the horn should honk until you
A) Put the key in the Ignition,
or
B) Use the Remote to unlock the car.

Now if it keeps doing this, you may have a problem with one of the door switches going bad.
A malfunctioning door switch acts as if someone tried to unlock the car with the Security system activated, therefore the alarm goes off. It has happened to some of us. The alarm will go off for no reason in the middle of the night, or at work, or just randomly at different times.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 pm

QAGuy1 wrote:
Is there anyone from Buick or GM that might be able to shed some light on this?

although there are a few members who might work at a GM dealership, this is not a forum where anyone from GM officially communicates. The best we can offer for 'official' answers is that you can buy the factory service manual (FSM) on ebay or at helminc.com (the publisher).

The good news is that a lot of us here already have these manuals and some experience with these cars, and will do what we can to help you!
Back to top Go down
QAGuy1
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks Deekster_Caddy,

I didn't really think that there were actual Buick/GM employees answering the questions. I was just wondering if anyone knew of anyone that might know.

I'm also a member of the Corvette forum and there are employees who are members of the site that do respond to questions if they have knowledge of any bulletins or have any general information.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:57 am

I have had similar symptoms a while back that were mostly related to bad grounds. I'm just saying it's good to have someone go through and clean all grounds to eliminate that as a possibility. You can get a schematic of them at any GM parts counter. Good fortune to you!

Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv   Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv Empty

Back to top Go down

Flashing Dash lights, headlights and taillights 95 Riv
Page 1 of 1