Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge

Go down 
+12
pbrktrt
sniperdude
DEMonte1997
L67
Dragnet
dreww
AA
mcwho
Rodman
BMD
albertj
robotennis61
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge Empty
PostSubject: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 pm

My tranny selection dash light started acting up a couple days ago,the selector starts to flash and eventually stay steady.now they continually show bars across the gear range. the temp gauge also started acting up at the same time.It would not come up and when the tranny dash lights steadied out,then the temp gauge would start to work.now they wont steady out at all.the temp stays dormant and the tranny dash stays in a full bar mode.anybody have an idea what this might be? I've gone through the threads and didn't come across this one.any help appreciated..thanks R
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
My tranny selection dash light started acting up a couple days ago,the selector starts to flash and eventually stay steady.now they continually show bars across the gear range. the temp gauge also started acting up at the same time.It would not come up and when the tranny dash lights steadied out,then the temp gauge would start to work.now they wont steady out at all.the temp stays dormant and the tranny dash stays in a full bar mode.anybody have an idea what this might be? I've gone through the threads and didn't come across this one.any help appreciated..thanks R

suggest you check (all of) the wiring harness connectors behind the insturment cluster.

do you recall making any changes to your Riv in the past month or so?

how's your battery?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 pm

battery is good . havent done any wiring work lately.I guess it would be a good idea to pull the dash apart.I wonder if it has anything to do with a tranny sensor going bad.dont know why the temp gauge is bad too? heres a pic of the bezel and the problem

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge HPIM1115

showing green bars across.....
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 pm

checked all thewiring and everything looks ok.anybody have a clue as to what it might be? the temp sensor is new and the tranny runs fine.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:41 am

Sorry Robo, I am going through my FSM for some idea but I can't seem to find anything. Hope someone can help figure this out. sad
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 am

same here. info I found requires diagnostic tools I dont have right now.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 am

Do you think the two are related or just a weird coincidence? Could the Temp Sensor be acting up as well as a switch under the gear selector panel?
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 am

I recall someone having the tranny flashing lights too.I cant find the thread.something about a sensor inside the tranny that was causing the flashing.it was replaced and problem solved. cant say about the temp gauge though,must Be a coincidence
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:17 pm

robotennis61 wrote:
I recall someone having the tranny flashing lights too.I cant find the thread.something about a sensor inside the tranny that was causing the flashing.it was replaced and problem solved. cant say about the temp gauge though,must Be a coincidence

Hmmm... there is a position indicator on the console linkage.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 3:34 pm

well..I did all above mentioned repairs.The car is running really rough in drive.she calms down quite a bit when i put her in neutral while at a light.aside from a possible CPS and streched timing chain, has anybody had a similar problem?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm

wonder if it is something physical like chafed wires shorting somewhere... what's it look like, the wiring, from the transmission case out? you recall?

I am stumped.

Maybe it's a rodent's fault, chewing the wires??! hope not...

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 5:15 pm

everything looks good. its weird.I put her in neutral,she calms down.put her in drive at a stop and she just wants to chug herself to death ....i too am stumped. Im hoping its the CPS...
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Is it at all similar to what Mr. Riviera experienced in this thread?
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t5421-broken-crank-pulley-leads-to-timing-cover-removal
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 5:53 pm

[quote="BMD"]Is it at all similar to what Mr. Riviera experienced in this thread?
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t5421-broken-crank-pulley-leads-to-timing-cover-removal[/quo

I think youre right.I have a standard CPS along with a timing set.all I need is the cam sensor and I can dig in.I hope its not some jacked up wire buried somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Rodman
Amateur

Name : Rod
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 am

Robotennis61,

Just wondering if you have solved your problem. I am not trying to hijack your thread. But today going to work my car did the exact thing. The PRND321 flashed with the green bars (exact as your pic) and the temp guage went to 0. When the PRND321 stopped flashing the temp guage went back up to its normal reading. No drivebility issues expereinced. Car seemed to be runing as normal. I feel the two things are definetly related. Nothing else in the guages or lights flashed.

My car is a 96 S/C with 220,000 km. No mods. Lots of new parts like wires, plugs, intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, fule filter, TCC solenoid, Crankshaft position sensor (at christmas). Change trans fluid four months ago with new filter. Cleaned IAC, Throttle body, EGR, MAF and so forth.

I looked around on the net, but could not find any information. Robotennis61 if you have any pointers or have solved your problem I would love to know.

EDIT
I just came back from my car. Hooked up a scanner at lunch and got some info. I have not been able to compare it with the FSM. I am also not that strong with transmissions.

Here is some data I pulled from the trans at idle. (gear indicator flashing as I did this, temp guage going to 0) No engine or trans codes found. Using a snap-on scanner.

Trans fluid C : 31 voltage 3.22
2nd start lamp: off T/C brake switch: open
Engine load: 2 % Air/fuel: 14.7
Kickdown enable: no Veh Speed: 0
1-2 soleniod: on 2-3 solenoid: on
TCC enabled: no TCC Clip: 915 rpm
TCC duty: 9 % TCC PWM open: no
TCC PWM shrt: yes TCC enable shrt: no
TCC enable open: yes
2-3 solenoid open: no 2-3 solenoid shrt: yes
1-2 solenoid open: no 1-2 solenoid shrt: no

Like I said, I am not strong on trans and have not compared to the fsm. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Rod

Back to top Go down
Rodman
Amateur

Name : Rod

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Robotennis61,

My PRND321 indicator flashing and Temp guage going to zero has, for know, knock on wood, stopped. The other night when driving and the PRND321 would start to flash, I began to push all my dash buttons to see if anything would stop it. What I noticed is that everytime I touched the traction control button the PRND321 would stop flashing and go solid. (Not sure why, no other buttons had an effect).

About five or so months ago I pulled the fuse for the ABS (various reasons) therefore my Trac Control does not function. I never had any issue until last week with the PRND321 indicator. So I put my fuse back in and the flashing and zeroing out of temp guage stopped.

Have you managed to find your problem?
Rod
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 pm

No my friend. I am waiting to get a few long term restorations out of the way so I can dedicate an entire day to this prob.It might be a solenoid in the tranny that causes this.I have the fsm,but not done any studying yet.Im hoping its nothing.
Back to top Go down
mcwho
Special

Name : Bob Mc

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Robo and Rodman,

I recently purchased a 1998 Riv and believe the dealer swapped the cluster out and did not notice some issues.

The car runs great, strong sc, lots of power, good tires and clean.

It was fine for a week or 10 days then the PRND321 indicator did exactly what robo has a pic of and the temp guage stays on low temp. I know the engine is fine cause it blows good heat and the cooling fans cycle on and off ok.

Did you resolve the issue? I purchased a spare cluster from eBay, and at the same time got a rebuilt radio as my tape player does not work. I bought the compllete shoip manuals but nothing shows how to get the dash off without breaking all the clips off, a couple guys are trying to help but withouot piucs I am lost.

I am thinking they swapped the cluster as they had the car registered with 76,000 in aug 16 2011 miles then had it for sale 30 days later on eBay with 111,000 miles. Thats nearly impossable.

Help ?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 pm

We have some info here on dash removal, hope it helps:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1187-write-up-riv-dash-and-door-removal

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
mcwho
Special

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 pm

I have same issue with gear selector and engine temp as noted by robotennis61.

in addition my traction control button either does not function or the light is out..

I believe the selling dealer swapped out the cluster as the mileage was 76,000 in aug 2011, and 111,000 in sept.

any solutions on these issues as yet?

Bob
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:38 pm

My prob has not been resolved.The hot Vegas weather exacerbates the prob.when the temps drop below,say 80 deg,the gauges began to function properly.freaks the shit outta me.makes me feel the car just likes to be annoying. i'll roll with it.
Back to top Go down
mcwho
Special

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:59 pm

I just swapped in a bulb for the traction control, it was missing but flahes when starting then stays on no matter what i do with the tc switch, also the tc switch has nothing to do this the prnd321 indicator in may riv.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 am

mcwho wrote:
I just swapped in a bulb for the traction control, it was missing but flahes when starting then stays on no matter what i do with the tc switch, also the tc switch has nothing to do this the prnd321 indicator in may riv.

A GM dealer with Tech II will be able to tell you what's wrong without taking anything apart. Charge should be no more than 1 hour labor, more like 15 min to 1/2 hour. Problem in your case is almost certainly one or more bad wheel sensors or a bad ABS block. Cheap way out is to let the dealer tell you which hub is bad then get a replacement from a junkard (they fit several GM cars).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 pm

I know the range switch that sits on top of the trans controls the gear selector display on the dash. I had this problem, but the temp gauge never malfunctioned.

I dunno what controls both of those things. To my knowledge, nothing but the range switch controls the gear slector display on the dash and it has nothing to do with the temp gauge.
Back to top Go down
Dragnet
Amateur
Dragnet

Name : Phil
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Did anybody figure this one out?
My 96 with 46,500 miles just started the exact same symptoms yesterday. First I noticed the traction control light came on then I noticed the temp gage zero and gear indicator flashing at same time then all returned to normal (except the traction control light stayed on). Sometimes I start it and it's fine. I'm pulling the wheels of tonight as I'm due a brake job - so I'll look for something obvious for the traction control. My experiance with other cars and electronics would lead me to belive its a cold solder joint in a contoller board. It also had the cold air on passenger side while set to hot on drivers side at the same time not sure if it was related to the dash lights- saw the posts about the fix. It worked fine on the way home tonight.
Weird. dunno
Back to top Go down
http://www.townwideyardsales.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge Empty

Back to top Go down

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next