Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge

Go down 
+12
pbrktrt
sniperdude
DEMonte1997
L67
Dragnet
dreww
AA
mcwho
Rodman
BMD
albertj
robotennis61
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dragnet
Amateur
Dragnet

Name : Phil
Merit : 2

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Brake job done .... Traction Contol light is off today.. no weird gear indicator issues..
Air Bag light is on now (buyers remorse settles in )...covered it with a piece of black cardboard.. fixed for now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.townwideyardsales.com
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 2:00 am

Dragnet wrote:
Brake job done .... Traction Contol light is off today.. no weird gear indicator issues..
Air Bag light is on now (buyers remorse settles in )...covered it with a piece of black cardboard.. fixed for now.

I had a pesky airbag light problem with my Riv, try cleaning the contacts of the yellow airbag plug behind the passenger kick panel, sometimes all you need to do is unplug and re-plug it in a few times to clean it off but I used lots of electrical cleaner on mine. You could also try the driver's side plug as well. Just make sure to disconnect the battery and wait a while after driving the car to operate on the airbag system!
Back to top Go down
Dragnet
Amateur
Dragnet

Name : Phil
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:18 am

L67 wrote:
Dragnet wrote:

I had a pesky airbag light problem with my Riv, try cleaning the contacts of the yellow airbag plug behind the passenger kick panel, sometimes all you need to do is unplug and re-plug it in a few times to clean it off but I used lots of electrical cleaner on mine. You could also try the driver's side plug as well. Just make sure to disconnect the battery and wait a while after driving the car to operate on the airbag system!

Thanks, I'll try that and post results.
Back to top Go down
http://www.townwideyardsales.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:37 am

Dragnet wrote:
L67 wrote:
Dragnet wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that and post results.

Yeah, about half an hour should do it. On some cars you can immediately defuse it by disconnecting the battery then taping the positive cable to the negative. This discharges systems -- however I have never tried this on the Riv and do not recommend it... Works fine on my Ford though, have done it.

Albertj

Last edited by albertj on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:47 am

*disclaimer-not responsible if air bag deploys*

If you can't get the light off, you can just pull the damn bulb out of the instrument cluster.

Most times the air bag won't pop out on ya but it's probably most prudent to chase the culprit down.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 12:50 pm

I had this happen while driving my car home for the first time last night. The shift gate on the cluster blinks occasionally and won't display what gear the car is in even if I change it.

I believe it's related to the NSS (neutral safety switch) but I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Also, forgot to mention that it would work intermittently but then sometimes it would freeze up and blink as well.
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Mine has also been doing this for awhile. I'd like to find out why myself. But I think you are correct on the NSS as I was leaning that way also.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna try and replace it when I get a chance and will let you know.
Back to top Go down
pbrktrt
Enthusiast

Name : patrick gervais
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks, I'll be watching.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Holy hell it's a 90 dollar part. Lol

Might be a bit before I jump to replace that. Might try taking the existing one out and seeing what's up with it.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I have the same thing going on with my 95 Riv.I have to replace the entire dash cluster.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Sounds accurate, I was reading the same thing in reference to the instrument panel for Cadillacs of that generation -> ( The PRND321 blinking lights are indicating the IPC is loosing the data communication with the rest of the modules (again voltage related).

Sounds to me like possibly a bad connection in the wire bundle or cold solder joint(s) somewhere on the cluster.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 pm

sniperdude wrote:
Sounds accurate, I was reading the same thing in reference to the instrument panel for Cadillacs of that generation -> ( The PRND321 blinking lights are indicating the IPC is loosing the data communication with the rest of the modules (again voltage related).

Sounds to me like possibly a bad connection in the wire bundle or cold solder joint(s) somewhere on the cluster.

If you are having a "voltage related" problem please check your battery. If you have not already done so this year, flip up the rear seat and check the battery voltage (do not disconnect the battery). If voltage is below ~12.2 or so you probably have either a battery issue or a partial short somewhere draining the thing.

The Riv does not like low voltage - when voltages get lower, the sensors and other electronics that depend on voltage levels for signals start acting weird.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Yeah, battery is brand new and the thermistor works properly. Perhaps bad grounds..
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:51 pm

sniperdude wrote:
Yeah, battery is brand new and the thermistor works properly. Perhaps bad grounds..

Just to be sure, test oltage on the battery anyway. I had a car I overhauled for my son, had an issue the PO thought was an alternator but a new alt did not fix it, turned out he was installing dirt rip parts and the battery (from WalMart) was bad new (dead cell) and the alternator (from NAPA) was bad new (loose internal voltage regulator).

I know it's a pain but seriously you might want to test that battery. It will not take long, and I am probably wrong... but what if I am right?
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 5:16 pm

albertj wrote:
sniperdude wrote:

Just to be sure, test oltage on the battery anyway. I had a car I overhauled for my son, had an issue the PO thought was an alternator but a new alt did not fix it, turned out he was installing dirt rip parts and the battery (from WalMart) was bad new (dead cell) and the alternator (from NAPA) was bad new (loose internal voltage regulator).

I know it's a pain but seriously you might want to test that battery. It will not take long, and I am probably wrong... but what if I am right?

This is a good idea. I'll have to do that tonight or tomorrow. The car has been sitting now for a couple of weeks but the voltage shouldn't have dropped too much.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 pm

What you really want is a load test on the battery to see how many CCAs it actually is generating. You also want to test alternator. Checking batt voltage is a quick and dirty way to get some insight into what might be wrong.

That said, if the voltage on the battery is low that points to problems. If the voltage is OK the problem probably lies elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:19 pm

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 Img20120930212554038cop

Here's a pic of what I had going on when I mentioned this.

I think I was in neutral, but when this craps out all the indicators are lit and the gear indicator stays on whatever gear was lit when it decided to crap out - so it stayed on D.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:21 pm

me too!
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

It's so freaking annoying, esp when it blinks.

I am thinking there is something wrong in the cluster. Cold solder joints or surface mounted ICs maybe.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm

I have the last edition FSM (tan covers) and I didn't see anything about this issue in there. Makes me think it's a problem that comes with age. (i.e. cold solder joints)

Edit: Just figured I'd mention that age doesn't necessarily mean that you will get cold solder joints. However - chassis vibration, movement over time in addition to age will cause it.
Back to top Go down
amaidendevil
Amateur

Name : david
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 pm

hey guys, i have same problem has anybody solved this issue yet or came up with an answer it worries me come summer not knowing temp
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Has anyone successfully gotten rid of the issue where the all the gear indicators are lit up?

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 Img20120930212554038cop

reposting pic.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 pm

mine is still acting up. i dont know what to do besids modding the cluster to accept individual gauges or finding a nos or junked cluster.
im guessing its probably something stupid like a dumb little sensor or wire somewhere.i tore the dash apart looking for bad connections or frayed wires.nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge   lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

lost my dash gear lights and temp gauge
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next