Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rack and pinion leaking

Go down 
+2
AA
IFallsRon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

Rack and pinion leaking Empty
PostSubject: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue May 07, 2013 6:19 pm

New stains in the driveway under the 97. Retired wrencher doing my brake job says the rack is leaking. He recommends Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak should do the job. Anyone with experience? He'll do a replacement for $200.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue May 07, 2013 11:57 pm

I tried the Lucas PS treatment once after finding my fluid was low. I have no idea where it was leaking from. That was more than a year ago, and seems to have cured the problem. Like the bottle says, it will stop seal leaks, but if there's another problem, maybe not. Worth a try!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Update. The leaking has gotten worse. My repair guy says the rack and pinion requires a replacement that has some kind of power assist because of the supercharger and the ticket is over $350. I haven't researched that option but looking around at what's available, I don't see any mention of a power assist.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 5:39 pm

That "power assist" is called Magna-Steer. If you look up at the rack, around the stub shaft, you'll see a 2 wire plug that plugs into the rack. It's a speed variable assist that tightens or loosens steering based on vehicle speed.

The whole repair is $350? Part included? I'd be jumping ALLLLL over that.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 11:55 pm

IFallsRon wrote:
Update. The leaking has gotten worse. My repair guy says the rack and pinion requires a replacement that has some kind of power assist because of the supercharger and the ticket is over $350. I haven't researched that option but looking around at what's available, I don't see any mention of a power assist.

for $350 just get it done...

what your steering guy is referring to is "magnasteer" unit on the rack.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 8:24 am

New rack installed. Steering is somewhat stiff for power but figure it needs a few days of driving to loosen up.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 pm

IFallsRon wrote:
New rack installed. Steering is somewhat stiff for power but figure it needs a few days of driving to loosen up.

check that the magnasteer wire on the rack is seated properly.

check your tires for proper inflation.

when magnasteer is working right it makes the steering feel stiffer while you are in motion above I think 40 mph or so.  It lets go at low speeds, so for parking and city driving the steering feels very light and easy, even "overboosted".

if everything is right I think the degree of stiffness can be adjusted but don't quote me on that... Hopefully Abaddon will chime in... If it can be adjusted a Tech II scanner will be needed I think.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Tire replacement is next. I'll check the connection and look for anything unusual. Noticed yesterday it steered extremely hard when backing.

New rack cost $100. Wrencher's stepson manages a NAPA and has connections. Add a hose, fluid and labor and he asked for $220. I paid $250 and should have given more. The guy has saved me many $100s.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 9:54 pm

IFallsRon wrote:
Tire replacement is next. I'll check the connection and look for anything unusual. Noticed yesterday it steered extremely hard when backing.

New rack cost $100. Wrencher's stepson manages a NAPA and has connections. Add a hose, fluid and labor and he asked for $220. I paid $250 and should have given more. The guy has saved me many $100s.

you might want to check the pump. If the old fluid was used with the new rack that might be an issue. If tires were properly inflated, they were not the problem.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 6:31 pm

The steering has loosened but we're still tracking some leaky fittings. I was in the driveway a couple days ago when the daughter came home in the car. She made a tight turn, taxing the pump and the belt jumped the track. WTF? Belt was plenty slick. Still work to do.
Back to top Go down
Reattaron
Rookie

Name : Ron Williams
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 am

Is anyone familiar with replacing the inner tie rod on our rack & pinion ?
thanke for any help.
Reattaron
Back to top Go down
http://reattaron@yahoo.com
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 am

Reattaron wrote:
Is anyone familiar with replacing the inner tie rod on our rack & pinion ?
thanke for any help.
Reattaron

You'll need to buy/rent an Inner Tie Rod tool to do it the "easy" way. You'll also have to figure out how to stick your hands in there and cut the OE clamps off of the boot somehow. There very well might be a plastic retainer ring over top of the OE Tie Rod as well that would need to be removed once the boot is off in order to fit the tool in there.
It's really not that hard, but might seem difficult the first time you try it.

Link to tool example
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 am

I've done this in two vehicles, not the Riviera yet (knock on wood). On my friend's VW Corrado (transverse mount VR6), we took the entire rack out and replaced both sides. Took about 3 evenings during the work week. On my wife's Toyota, I did the left inner in an evening. It just unscrewed from rack with no issues. $30 for the (Toyota) part at AutoZone. I'd guess the Riv's is heavier and a bit more $.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

Name : josh
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

i got my tie rods off ebay for the riv for 15 bucks for the full set. never installed them tho cause dont need them yet. and yeah they are heavy!!!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Wow, great price. Hope you got the good ones. RockAuto sells an economy version for $7 per side. The OEM stardard versions are $50/side!

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Wow, hijacked.

New rack and pinion and hoses are now tight. Leaks are from the transmission pan. Bought transfer pump at at the fleet store today. Yikes, RTF isn't cheap. Plan for gasket and filter replacement next Saturday. Local Firestone shop quotes $221 for tranny service.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 am

IFallsRon wrote:
Wow, hijacked.

New rack and pinion and hoses are now tight. Leaks are from the transmission pan. Bought transfer pump at at the fleet store today. Yikes, RTF isn't cheap. Plan for gasket and filter replacement next Saturday. Local Firestone shop quotes $221 for tranny service.

It happens rolleyes  At least it's still on topic.

I hope you have a big drain pan. You're going to make a mess. Out of curiosity, what did you buy a transfer pump for?
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Writeup on this site recommends using a transfer pump to draw out as much ATF as possible through the stick hole. That's my goal. Good news is that ATF and Floor Dry are on sale this week.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 am

if it wasnt get kitty litter lol
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:16 pm

joshuadalegrimes wrote:
if it wasnt get kitty litter lol

Kitty Litter = Floor Dry.

Floor Dry is often mad cheap at a tractor supply store if there is one near you.
Back to top Go down
joshuadalegrimes
Addict
joshuadalegrimes

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm

i usually get 25lb bags of "naturaul" kitty litter for a buck or 2 when i know ill need it at wally world. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rack and pinion leaking   Rack and pinion leaking Empty

Back to top Go down

Rack and pinion leaking
Page 1 of 1