Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Retained accessory power problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

Retained accessory power problem Empty
PostSubject: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:54 pm

I just had the actuator replaced in the drivers door of my 1995 Riviera.

Prior to the work being done the radio would turn off when the door was opened like it is supposed to. Since replacing the actuator the radio does not turn off when the drivers door is opened although it does if the passenger door is opened. Is there a mechanism within the actuator or latch that is the problem? How do I repair it if that is the case.

Is there a switch similar to the one that pushes in and out to turn interior lights on and off like in older cars? Is there a wire going into the actuator that could be shorting? Any ideas? Apparently the Retained Accessory Power function is working, just not within the drivers door.

Any idea if this repair would require replacing the whole actuator again?

Last edited by designer1962 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:30 pm

I would take your car right back to the garage that did the repair. They either put in wrong parts, or f*cked up. It's their responsibility, not yours.
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Really need to know   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks for the advise, but i do not want to take the car back to the garage that installed the actuater.

Can anyone tell me what I need to fix inside the door to get back the retained accessory power function? Is there a switch, a relay, a wire, a little elf? I'd like to try to do the fix myself, but need to know what I am looking for to fix it.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 am

There is a trouble shooting chart for the RAP in the Factory Service Manual. It's lengthy. If you want to own and work on one of these cars, you need an FSM. Nothing on these cars is simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 am

I would go straight after the part that was just replaced. Sounds like it wasn't installed properly or it was the wrong part.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:24 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
I would go straight after the part that was just replaced. Sounds like it wasn't installed properly or it was the wrong part.

without seeing any more my guess is it was the wrong part. The Riv door latches have some electrical bits not in other latches and are not readily available new. I think they are around $175.00/each **if** you can find them. Latches without the electrical bits will fit but will not operate the Riv's functions. For instance, on the Riv's latches, when you hold the key in the lock in the door handle in the "unlock" position for a few seconds, the power locks are supposed to actuate and unlock both doors.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Albert is on the right path. Someone installed an actuator, and now you have issues and the RAP is malfunctioning. SOMEBODY messed something up in the door. I would drive the car right through the front door of that place.....
The RAP is controlled directly by that latch. It will not function properly without the correct part installed, period.

Is there an echo in here? smoke
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Albert is on the right path. Someone installed an actuator, and now you have issues and the RAP is malfunctioning. SOMEBODY messed something up in the door. I would drive the car right through the front door of that place.....
The RAP is controlled directly by that latch. It will not function properly without the correct part installed, period.

Is there an echo in here? smoke

Maybe a reverberation not an echo, Abaddon.

FYI to the OP: the issue probably is that the latches for the Riv mechanically interchange with many other GM cars but are *NOT* electrically identical. There are a number of other cars latches that will mechanically work. None of them will make the electricals function. When my door latch electricals broke I had my local dealer's shop replace the latch. They were somewhat hesitant to do it because of the price, to be honest. It is more than a little $$ for something that isn't really repairable in the field.

So the point is there is not a separate switch, relay, wire, or elf.

You may want to visit a regional GM dealer that actually has a body shop (as opposed to a new car prep facility where they have what they call a body shop but they actually sublet the body work elsewhere) and ask.

If you want someone else to do the work or to at least interact with someone local that has a clue, consider going to a very good independent body shop in your area (not a mechanic) and ask advice or an estimate to repair. They (and you for that matter) also may be able to get the needed parts aftermarket or salvage which will save a little $$.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retained accessory power problem   Retained accessory power problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Retained accessory power problem
Page 1 of 1