Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rough start & idle, stalling

Go down 
+7
al_roethlisberger
AA
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
Abaddon
deekster_caddy
96rivie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
96rivie
Enthusiast

Name : drew
Merit : 0

Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2013 8:31 am

took the day off from work.. so hopefully i can get some answers from my riv today.. I will pick up fuel pressure gauge and some stuff to scrub the engine, so i can pinpoint where any leaks are,

What numbers am i looking for with this gauge?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Fuel Pressure should be 50 with the vacuum line to the FP regulator disconnected and plugged. It will vary with the vacuum line connected to the regulator.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2013 4:28 pm

im not really sure how to test for pressure....

ok.. i only got to do a " key on no start" test b/c my batt started ticking when try to start... anyways it shot right up to 48 on first turn then 50 on second turn of key. Im seeing good pressure at the rail, what should be my next step?
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:40 am

Charge battery and test fuel pressure with car running.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Sorry, yes - dave is right. Engine should be running during FP testing.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

well got the batt charged  and started the car. The SES light was not on and it started right up without having to press gas pedal. Second start up i had to hold down the gas pedal to start. tested fuel pressure, 46-48 with regulator connected, 50 with it plugged. While i was doing this i heard a faint grinding noise from the back of motor. I leaned over to pinpoint the sound and put my hand onto a burning hot alternator, note car was only on for maybe 5 min. Could a failing alt throw the random misfire code? Or shut car off at highway speeds?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 8:40 pm

Quote :
Could a failing alt throw the random misfire code? Or shut car off at highway speeds?
Maybe not, but if it's that hot try to diagnose the issue further. If the alternator does need replaced, might as well get it out of the way. You'll need to eventually.

More on testing for bad alternator:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7992p15-alternator-noise-mechanical-failure

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 pm

any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 pm

96rivie wrote:
well got the batt charged  and started the car. The SES light was not on and it started right up without having to press gas pedal. Second start up i had to hold down the gas pedal to start. tested fuel pressure, 46-48 with regulator connected, 50 with it plugged. While i was doing this i heard a faint grinding noise from the back of motor. I leaned over to pinpoint the sound and put my hand onto a burning hot alternator, note car was only on for maybe 5 min. Could a failing alt throw the random misfire code? Or shut car off at highway speeds?
failing alt = misfire?  maybe, if only because the sensors are voltage dependent and if the batt is discharged far enough then the sensors will fail. PCM will shut car down if enough bogus readings are noted.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 am

K thanks
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 3:02 pm

96rivie wrote:
K thanks
By the way you ought to test that battery for a dead cell.  Easy way:  charge it using a battery charger, whatever you have (hopefully bigger than tricklecharger).  After it is charged up, disconnect it and use a meter to read the voltage.  It should be something like 12.2 - 12.6 volts.  Any less and you have at least one bad/dead/crippled cell in the batt... and should then replace the battery (as well as the alternator, we already know that's an issue).
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I took the batt to advanced, had them slow charge overnight and it and it only went up to 880 amps, then we quick charged it for 30 min and it went up to around 1100
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 am

96rivie wrote:
I took the batt to advanced, had them slow charge overnight and it and it only went up to 880 amps, then we quick charged it for 30 min and it went up to around 1100

That is not the answer you needed, really.  All you need to do is charge the battery then read the voltage, not the cranking amps. 

Here is why.

Each cell in the battery puts out about 1.5 to 1.7 volts.  If you are reading less than 12.2  volts or so on a "fully charged" battery then you have an electrical problem in one or more of the cells and need to replace it. What that problem might be does not really matter because you can not get the parts to repair the battery.  FYI the problem often is that car batteries are not built for deep discharge and if you do discharge one too deeply it will partially or completely short out one or more cells.   The battery will read a certain voltage with no-load depending on its construction (lead-antimony is conventional construction, the OE Delco batteries for our cars were lead-calcium and actually put out about 12.6v no load when fully charged; replacement batteries are not all lead-calcium and so may read a bit lower no-load, like 12.2v).  For those of you even more curious about batteries here is a VoTech tutorial on them from Kevin Sullivan, a professor from Skyline College (http://www.skylinecollege.edu/)  in San Bruno, CA:

http://www.autoshop101.com/trainmodules/batteries/101.html

The sensors for the cars' systems -- temperature sensors, et cetera -- could care less about what cranking amps your battery will put out.  Your sensors, however, care a lot about voltage.

The other thing you care about is if you have the OE style positive battery cable with the thermistor that reads temperature of the battery and sends a signal back to the charging system to up the charging power if the battery is cool enough. If the thermistor is not working correctly you can have undercharge or overcharge chronic problems.  So if your cable was replaced with a generic one, or if you are running the wrong type battery (should be a Group 79) it could also be a problem.

What's the story?
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Its a OEM Duralast gold batt.. After about a month or so with car sitting and batt terimnals unplugged, its holding charge and it started up. Im still having the rough start issue where i have to hold down the gas pedal for it to start, and the SES light started to blink, then it stayed on steady. Car has been sitting outside uncovered just waiting to get worked on, but Im not sure where to start anymore
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Not sure where to start, eh?

Might mean you are not following the recommendations you were given, so lets try this.

If your battery is good, get a good junkyard alternator and swap it in. Then...

Read the stored codes and report back to us.

After that you'll clear the stored codes and drive until you set new codes and then report back to us.

We are not perfect but we also get nothing from b-s ing you or selling you stuff. So although taking this advice is at your own risk and peril, it is not like anyone earns a commission.

Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 3:54 pm

okay i recently bought a used alt from pick-n-pull, took it in and had it checked... all good. Its going on now!! Will report back as soon as i can get it up to shop and have em pull the codes
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:18 pm

96rivie wrote:
okay i recently bought a used alt from pick-n-pull, took it in and had it checked... all good. Its going on now!! Will report back as soon as i can get it up to shop and have em pull the codes

Next item:

If you are going to work on the car yourself your own code reader and/or scanner along with a service manual set are worth buying. You can get both used on eBay for short money.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 am

good advice... any scanner or tuner better than the other?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Hey all.
Today and yesterday I just stalled randomly without any warning signs. I'll let yesterday go because I was really low on gas so it could have been a starvation issue. But today I had more than half a tank and it just cut out while I was driving. Both times the oil and battery lights flashed. Fluids and voltage are both good (~14.3 volts when running, ~12.9 when not). The only possible thing that I believe to have caused it is a cheap crappy OBD bluetooth scanner I got. It had the same problem as my old one (flashing lights and stuttering) so I ripped it out.

What I'm thinking:
That OBD scanner
Fuel filter or pump (might both still be original)
Electrical issue (wire grounding out or something)
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Take that scanner off and keep driving.....see if it happens again. I've suffered this as well. I'm not disclosing anything until we hear back from you, as it could be a couple different things.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I've heard of that happening to other cars on a cheap bluetooth OBDII scanner as well.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Take that scanner off and keep driving.....see if it happens again. I've suffered this as well. I'm not disclosing anything until we hear back from you, as it could be a couple different things.
That's the problem though. It has been off for about a week. I took it off the first time it happened.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 2:47 pm

So it just cuts out and stops running? No sputter, no spit, just stops like you killed the Ignition?
You're probably losing spark instantaneously. Have you tried restarting it right after without cycling the key?
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah pretty much. And what do you mean cycling the key? As in not turning it counterclockwise at all, just clockwise to start it? If so, that's what I did (after it was in park of course). The first time was at a stoplight and today was pulling away from a stoplight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rough start & idle, stalling
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next