Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?

Go down 
+28
L67
robotennis61
Abaddon
rk0ehn
bigdave
charlieRobinson
rivparadise
nebstewart07
riv96
madrivage
GMFreak8
BMD
Eldo
woggy
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
dreww
T Riley
RhinoFLA
BillBoost37
Dj Brady
albertj
deekster_caddy
AA
1998 Riv
ewolfe0050
TonySmooth89
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Anyone have any good ones they know about?
I'm looking for something on the cheap side.
I'd like to be able to tune a bit as well .
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptySun Dec 30, 2007 11:12 pm

I use HP Tuner which has worked out well. I have heard the DHP support is not the best.... but it is cheaper. I think I picked up mine for 400-500. DHP runs 100 less.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 12:09 am

No such thing as a "cheap" tuning tool for our cars. There had been 2 options for tuning: DHP and HP Tuners. DHP has very recently stopped sales of new units, so HPTuners is the only choice, at around $500. I spent $400 on a DHP PowrTuner this fall, kind of wish I'd gone HPT now. There are some less expensive choices for a SCAN tool. But they do NOT allow you to make any tuning changes at all. Autotap has been recommended by some guys. Used to be LS1M was a good choice too, but they've closed up shop.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 12:39 am

And will these work with a 96? the hptuners.com site says only 97+.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 12:43 am

I'd contact them directly and ask about support for a 96 Riv. I know DHP's online info about supported vehicles was not up to date, could be HPT does support it.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 1:14 pm

Any OBDII scan tool should work with your '96. I really like the AutoTap software, but LS1M looks good, too. These run on a laptop or Palm device.

If I were wanting to tune, I'd spend the extra on the new HP Tuners software, or find a good deal on a used DHP Powrtuner. You will need a laptop to run either. Both do the same thing, but HP Tuners appears to have better support and easier-to-use interface. As for working with a '96, I think DHP has done it already, and HP Tuners could if you asked them.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 1:57 pm

moved from: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/bad-gas-mileage-t2358-15.htm#25706

albertj wrote:
buy an OBD-2 dongle (a cord to connect a computer to your car) from Alex Peper (http://www.carcode.com) and download Alex's Car Code program. It will take a log and show you all the gauges -

This looks like a nice scantool setup on a budget. I'm going to take a closer look at it. albertj do you use it?

(sorry for the hijack)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 11:51 pm

To Derek (and the rest of you)

Yes, I use Car-Code.

I had a little problem getting it to work because of settings on my laptop (the serial port) but once I figured it out, "wha-la." Alex was patient answering my questions as I figured out my problem.

When you use it to record your runs, *be sure* to set it up so you can not see the screen while you drive - or let someone else drive while you watch the pointers dance!

It will reset the trouble codes, or not, if you want. It will not reprogram the computer(s) in the Riv.

Bottom line for me is it is a very nice scan tool and worth having even if you only use it 2-4 x year... but will not do some things a Tech II will.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 8:45 am

I'm very familiar with a few scan tools on the PC. Autotap, which I really like, is $400 new with the GM enhanced parameters (but you can find them cheaper used, nothing wrong with a used one). PowerTunr was also $400 but is a really crappy scan tool, although it does work. Crappy only in the sense of instability and the UI is very poor. The polar opposite of Autotap.

The thing I like about Autotap is it's universality. I'm assuming car-code is similar, and much cheaper it seems.

Alternately, the next 'upgrade' I buy is probably going to be an HP Tuners, which is again a similar scanner/dashboard like Autotap. More expensive than DHP's PowerTunr but all around a better tuning device with more settings available to change.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 10:12 am

A clarification about CarCode: it has a *lot* of features including the ability to analyze test result limits for catalyst and sensor life, view Oxygen sensor evaluations. It includes manufacturer definitions, component numbers and PASS-FAIL reuslts. In other words, it goes a bit beyond being just a piece of scan software in that Peper has added data files with the latest info he has about components and specs. So no kidding you can use this thing and see if your o2 sensor is good, merely OK, weakening or approaching becoming a dud.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 pm

thanks for moving this Aaron... thread hijacking is not your thing, eh? You would go bezerk with the thread hijacks at my local board! lol

Albert, that's great info. I'll definitely check this out. Being a home mechanic requires me to have some other sort of scan tool, the PowerTunr doesn't cut it, and I'm not sure how much the HPT can scan related to all OBDII.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 3:03 pm

It's not the hijacking really, the reason is more topic organization. If a new member joins our site, and looks for a good tuner software, I want them to find it all in one spot, not have to go searching for it in 5 different threads.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 6:14 pm

I vote for a round of applause for AAron in running the board and keeping the wandering topics straight.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Dj Brady
Enthusiast

Name : Brady
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Have you all seen this odb2 to USB unit?
Link

it seems to be about 40 bucks cheaper than the other sellers with the same unit... I'm wondering if this is just the software.. the description is a bit vague... anyway.. anyone seen/used this?

Last edited by AA on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link URL too LONG!!!!! Learn to use "url=" code!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.328studios.com
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 am

albertj wrote:
I vote for a round of applause for AAron in running the board and keeping the wandering topics straight.

Albertj
clap agree
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 9:59 am

With a 96 if you are looking to tune, I believe your only choice is DHP. They recently stopped selling the unit although I hear you can find them used and the support is still in place.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

Name : Ryan
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Knock gauges or scanners   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 6:24 pm

I've yet to get a dhp tuner, and I want to check out the KR i'm running. Does anyone here have a kr gauge that they're using, if so what brand, how much, and where? Or could someone reccomend one or a cheap scanner?
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Search around. I think one of the threads has a link for a cheap scanner that if im not mistaken AlbertJ uses. it was about 150 bucks IIRC
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm

I found a KR gauge for 75 bones, i'll keep looking.
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 6:50 pm

www.carcode.com thats the scanner i was talking about.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 pm

I don't have a laptop frown
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 pm

RhinoFLA wrote:

really??????/ where??? do you think autozone, pepboys, or checker would sell them????
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
dreww
Junkie
dreww

Merit : 9

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 am

RhinoFLA wrote:

for that I use an aeroforce scan guage. expensive at a little over $200. You can see 2 parameters realtime and pick between like 20 other parameters (KR, timing, fuel trims, voltage, ECT, etc.)
I have a scanner, but dont usually have it with me so having this guage there all the time is convenient.

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IR&Product_Code=AFT-SCx&Category_Code=IE

but you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere
Back to top Go down
BillBoost37
Junkie

Merit : 26

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 6:40 am

The Aeroforce is the way to go when you start modding and want to monitor.

The latest versions, you can program the shift lights to flash when any parameter hits a set value. Like KR over 1*. Older models as long as they have the shift lights can be sent in and reprogrammed.

Looking at any of the parameters, scanning and clearing DTC's, having analog input ability. Honestly.... I don't know where I was w/o it.
Back to top Go down
RhinoFLA
Aficionado
RhinoFLA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 6:06 pm

BillBoost37 wrote:
The Aeroforce is the way to go when you start modding and want to monitor.

The latest versions, you can program the shift lights to flash when any parameter hits a set value. Like KR over 1*. Older models as long as they have the shift lights can be sent in and reprogrammed.

Looking at any of the parameters, scanning and clearing DTC's, having analog input ability. Honestly.... I don't know where I was w/o it.

I agree, the aeroforce gauge is NICE.. it's just out of my budget right now lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next