Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?

Go down 
+28
L67
robotennis61
Abaddon
rk0ehn
bigdave
charlieRobinson
rivparadise
nebstewart07
riv96
madrivage
GMFreak8
BMD
Eldo
woggy
Rickw
96RIVMANN
SuperRiv07
dreww
T Riley
RhinoFLA
BillBoost37
Dj Brady
albertj
deekster_caddy
AA
1998 Riv
ewolfe0050
TonySmooth89
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

It's a very small app, and not very processor intensive at all. I've used AutoTap on a 10 year old IBM Thinkpad running XP, so any new Windows machine will run it. You can also use on Macs with VM software or Bootcamp. The software itself can be downloaded from Autotap's website, or installed using the CD that comes with the OBDII cable. The installer file is only 12 MB in size.

Transferring the software is as easy as installing it on any new machine. The important thing is that you have the correct serial numbers. You get a different number when you upgrade to an expanded package. As long as you keep track of the number, you can install it on as many machines as you want. Even if you loose the number, you can call AutoTap and they will pull your file and give you the serial number you bought.

Another option I forgot to mention is the AeroForce scan gauge. It's a scanner with data log that also installs in your dash for realtime monitoring. You can't read as many parameters at once, but you can scan different parameters by hitting a button. See link:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t3986-aeroforce-scan-gauge

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

Name : Ben Stewart
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 pm

O so the aerforce does log hmm didnt know that. I would much rather have the autoap i think since my dad will probably be using it too lol. He may have to give some parts up to do so though! lol
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

can i add the chrysler or ford enhanced parameters at a later time if i just get the one with gm enhanced pearmeters?
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 3:36 am

should i buy th guide as well or what?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am

You can add Ford & GM later, but you save $50 buying them all together. At that point, you're looking at a $450 investment, so make sure you actually need advanced parameters for all of those cars. I would skip the scanning guide. There's a basic list of information at this link: http://autotap.org/technical_library.asp

We can help you with any other questions you have. It's not hard to scan our car.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
nebstewart07
Fanatic
nebstewart07

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Yah I'm thinking I will just buy the autotap with gm enhanced perameters and then if needed I will add the ford sometime. Does anyone know what scanner you use for a 1987 monte carlo ss?
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: GM Tech 2?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 am

I took my Riv over to the GM dealership for some diagnostic. As some of you know, I have had a nightmare of problems and no codes to steer me in the right direction. I sat with one of the mechanics and he said that the scanners they have are 20 times better than the ones they use at the speed shop I had been going to. The speed shop uses the Snap-On one and they said it was kinda useless in diagnosing GM. They took the car Wednesday. No word yet from them but I'm hopeful they can track this down. Any one know about this?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am

Of course the Tech 2 is the best for diagnosing GM codes, but buying one is $2k plus. Doesn't make sense unless you're a GM tech - you'd never use 95% of its capability. This is the device the dealerships and specialty shops like Intense & ZZP will use to scan your car. If you want a Tech 2 scan, most dealers will do the diagnostic for a fee. I think it's around $75.

Having said that, not all problems will throw codes. You might get the Tech 2 scan and reveal nothing. I've always been able to identify serious issues using AutoTap w/extended GM parameters ($300). Sometimes I am able detect the issue before the PCM does. Misfires, for example never throw codes, but I can feel when the plugs need replaced. If left unchecked, there are misfire codes, but the car would be running very badly to throw them, imo.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Just read through this thread and I want to let everyone know who is looking for a scanner that the Torque App for the Droid is AMAZING. I have seen other scanners and Torque kills them all.

I would suggest to every noob that is modding and owns a Droid phone or device to definitely get Torque. I don't drive without it!

Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Yall here of this one?
OBDII RT Tuner Program
http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/do_tc.html
When used with the Craig Moates Roadrunner emulator The OBDII RT Tuner program allows you to tune these vehicle in real-time while the engine is running! Imagine the time you can save when you can make a calibration change and instantly seeing the results. The OBDII RT Tuner program functions just like our original OBDII Tuner program with all the same editing features but with real-time tuning functionality.

The OBDII RT Tuner program uses the same low-priced Vehicle Definition Files as the standard OBDII Tuner program and just like the original OBDII Tuner program is not VIN locked so you can tune as many vehicles as you want without having to worry about additional licenses. The OBDII RT Tuner program and the full line of Vehicle Definition Files are available from Craig Moates when you purchase the Roadrunner emulator. If you are a registered of the original C.A.T.S. OBDII Tuner program you may purchase a very reasonably priced upgrade to the OBDII RT Tuner program when you purchase the Roadrunner emulator. All your current Vehicle Definition Files will still be usable. Visit the Moates.Net web site www.moates.net for additional information on the OBDII RT Tuner program and the Roadrunner emulator.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm getting the Tunercat RT for OBD1. My research has led me to believe it is a good choice for the DIY guy. Sinister Performance uses and recommends it also. I will also be purchasing the Moates set up as well.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Real time tuning would be awesome. I am still scared to death I would seriously fug something up if I had this kind of power over my car... But how else do you learn if you don't try?
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 pm

From what I understand from what I have read, as long as you download your original BIN file and save it on your PC, you can always restore it back to its original settings. They recommend small changes, such as fan turn on temps, until you get more comfortable. You can also find BINS for vehicles with similar mods as yours and just us their settings. I'm still a long way from attempting this, but will keep educating myself for now. Hopefully I will be ready to roll by next spring. I think for now I am going to download Tunercat"s free software to mess around with.
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

Name : Christian Rolf Köhn
Merit : 14

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am

Hello!

I was looking to buy a Scanner with quite a good range of vehicle coverage and a price range of $500.00 to $1,200.00 in new or good used condition, I’ll be opening a shop and I want flexibility.

I would like to have some of these features:

• Live Data with Graphing
• Access to Powertrain, ABS and Transmission (at least)
• Bidirectional Control (most important)

These are some that caught my attention:

Snap-On Solus
Snap-On Solus PRO (more expensive than Solus)
Matco Determinator
Nemisys Vivid
Genisys EVO

I would like to have a second opinion before I make any purchase and your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Christian
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am

I personally had a Solus at the aftermarket place I worked at. I didn't like it. It's functions were limited, and the "real time" data was quite slow. I had to send many cars to the dealer to be programmed or relearned because the Solus wasn't capable of handling it, or Snap On didn't have certain functions in their software (like the ability to control sensors/switches). It was a HUGE diagnostic disappointment.
I am not familiar with the rest of what you have listed. Although, given that Snap On is usually too pricey anyway, I'm sure something like the Genisys has more capabilities than that of the Solus.
Also, the Solus only comes with American car cables and software. You will need to buy the European kit and software separate, and also the Asian package separate. Those alone are going to set you back another $500 or better.

If you can, save your money and buy a good diagnostic tool. The Verus is far superior to anything else aftermarket I've used, but I know it's expensive as hell....WELL worth the money though.
You will also need to invest in something like Mitchell-On-Demand which is an online vehicle repair and diagnostic program. It has all of your wiring diagrams, codes, and diagnostic flow charts to properly diagnose vehicles....
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 am

Will you be using a laptop as well? Are you interested in tuning as well as scanning? If so check out EFILive and HPTuners. Good scanners but also capable of modifying and reflashing parameters.

Neither of those support the '96 Riv unfortunately.

For a great scanner with nice graphing and logging to your laptop check out AutoTap.
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm

I'll get a laptop for the shop but at this point Tunning is not in my plans, I know HPtuners is a very good option for tunning but really there is not much market here locally, no Dyno's at all or anything.

I thought about the AutoTap but it had some limitations for my aplication like: only handles powertrain and No Bidirectional controls, I beilve it also needs credits to access other vehicles.

Thanks,

Scott - thanks for your reply and input of your review with the snap-on, I looked for the Verus and is very nice but as you said: is hell expensive, I saw it on ebay for $4,000.00+
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm

rk0ehn wrote:
Scott - thanks for your reply and input of your review with the snap-on, I looked for the Verus and is very nice but as you said: is hell expensive, I saw it on ebay for $4,000.00+

Not a problem.
Did I also mention that the Verus is wireless? And fast? You can run diagnostics, and also be on the Internet at the same time without leaving the vehicle. It's awesome.

Don't get me wrong, the Solus is a good starter tool, but you WILL get stuck on things. One main thing I forgot to mention about it, is that Snap-On loads a ton of "common" fixes for certain codes and symptoms on to the machine. I didn't like it much because every now and again you'll find yourself frustrated with it and just replacing or fixing what it tells you....it certainly wasn't right all the time. I mostly used it as a code reader and data logger, then just used Mitchell's flow charts and good old fasioned get-your-fingernails dirty diagnostics. I had to learn not to necessarily trust the machine.
Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Not a problem.
Did I also mention that the Verus is wireless? And fast? You can run diagnostics, and also be on the Internet at the same time without leaving the vehicle. It's awesome.

Yeah I saw that too, and there is also another tool that it has some of the same capabilities and I believe it's the Matco Interceptor. Very Nice but it's bulky. ebay has it for $2,000.00

Back to top Go down
rk0ehn
Enthusiast
rk0ehn

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 5:56 pm

I made my decision on this and I'll get the "Genisys EVO" smile

Thank you guys for your inputs!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Abaddon wrote:
rk0ehn wrote:

good old fasioned get-your-fingernails dirty diagnostics. I had to learn not to necessarily trust the machine.

This is true and all I can do! My scanner can no longer read my Riv.It has no problem reading my neighbors tho...
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
Real time tuning would be awesome. I am still scared to death I would seriously fug something up if I had this kind of power over my car... But how else do you learn if you don't try?

Get a DHP its super easy to learn.. Take 1 week reading up on Clubgp tuning forums and the powertunr forums and bammmmmm tune yay
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
L67
Aficionado

Name : Matt
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 am

I have a DHP for sale
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 am

L67 wrote:
I have a DHP for sale

pending next weeks vehicle acquirement's... might need dat' booooooost
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Code reader   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 am

I'm shopping for a code reader. Minimum requirements are to read and reset.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?   FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Good Scanner/Tuner Software to use?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next