Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner Empty
PostSubject: OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner   OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Does anyone use an OBD II splitter so they can have a scanner and tuner connected simultaneously?

I am scouring the web about it and some people say it wont work and other say there's no problem. I would like to have a set up to where the scanner (droid tablet with torque) is hard mounted in the car and the HPtuners interface is also mounted so I can plug in the laptop on the go.

At $10 I dont see much risk in just trying it out but I wanted to see if any of you guys have any experience.

Thank ya!
 alien 
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner   OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 2:36 am

charlieRobinson wrote:
Does anyone use an OBD II splitter so they can have a scanner and tuner connected simultaneously?

I am scouring the web about it and some people say it wont work and other say there's no problem. I would like to have a set up to where the scanner (droid tablet with torque) is hard mounted in the car and the HPtuners interface is also mounted so I can plug in the laptop on the go.

At $10 I dont see much risk in just trying it out but I wanted to see if any of you guys have any experience.

Thank ya!
 alien 

You shouldn't have an issue by having them both connected at the same time provided the tablet isn't using the data line when you aren't trying to log data. Even though the scan information coming from the PCM is "broadcast" it's still serial-clocked data and two different devices aren't going to be able to work simultaneously. I have my aeroforce gauges pretty much hard-wired in but I can use dhp/hpt without issues as long as I have the gauges powered off. I've accidentally tried doing a pcm write with dhp a couple times forgetting to shut off the scan gauges and basically it'll either try to do it and go ridiculously slow or it'll give me an error and fail.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner   OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks for the tip, Codith!

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner   OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm

OBDII splitters can be purchased from Aeroforce: http://www.aeroforcetech.com/accessories.html

In their description they mention a few tips for using multiple scan gauges.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4 Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner   OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner Empty

Back to top Go down

OBD II splitter for tuner and scanner
Page 1 of 1