Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint

Go down 
+4
ZEP
matt270avian
Sir Psycho Sexy
Riv95SC
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

Name : Riv95SC
Merit : 6

Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint Empty
PostSubject: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:47 pm

No, not a gag.  I just heard of this--seems legit, but boy, I'd have doubts about trying it on my Riv.

Anybody ever tried?

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Plasti dip is awesome. A fully dipped car can either look incredible, or absolutely awful; it just depends how good of a job you do. There is at least one guy who has done his rockers, one guy who has done his roof, and i have done a lot of interior parts. I am very seriously considering dipping my Riv, but im not sure if its the look i want to go with yet... It is polarizing: some love it and some say it ruins the car. Everyone ive talked to has said it holds up great.
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 pm

It works great if you do it right and take care of it. You're really better off getting a whole paintjob though, unless you don't mind dropping the cash re-doing it every year or so.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am

Yo Riv95,

Definitely not a gag. Plasti Dip is pretty damn cool. I'm the guy Tyler was referring to who dipped his rocker panels. It's a chore to do but it's really cool stuff. I'll say this right off the bat... don't use metalizer if you want a smooth surface on your car. The metalizer adds all sort of texture and imo is inferior to the typical Plasti Dip. I used metalizer on my rockers and it creates a rough surface that is much easier to catch on something like a towel and thus rip. Ask me how I know rolleyes

What doubts do you have? I would recommend getting a compressed gun to spray it if you decide to (versus aerosol cans) - probably would give you a much more uniform finish and the paint wouldn't look as zebra-like. I know several guys who have dipped their rims and the stuff holds up really well. One of my buddies even did a camouflage color scheme on his car with dip... I'll have to get a pic. Plus you can just peel it off if you get sick of it.

If you dip the Riv, just please don't go with one of their Blaze colors puke
Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info, everybody.  I think your idea of doing the rockers is sound, Zach, since those tend to get so stone chipped.  

The idea is just new to me, and I need to get used to the thought of the whole car.  I definitely wouldn't do it with rattlecans!  

Yeah, blazing colors!  I noticed they have pink wheel plastic!  As they say, it's good to have choices, but all choices are not good...smile
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Also, if you spray a glossifier as well, you can get a finish that looks fairly close to a real paint job. Choices, choices!
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 pm

I wanted to to white with a pearlizer with a gloss black roof. Figure about $500 to do it right.
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm probably going to use this to do the wheels on my truck. As for the whole car, I'd definitely go with a gun-if possible. Matte finishes can be more particular than gloss when you do an entire vehicle. The glossifier is interesting... but I've never seen on that actually has close to the gloss that real paint would provide. Definitely do as much research as you can and experiment on small things first to see how it reacts.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 pm

Tyler, if we're going to do it, we should do it before it gets too cool out. The heat and dry air will help it set.

I just can't decide if I want to dip it now or get a perfect paint job and body work THEN dip it wink
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Decisions decisions! Lol my car looks like hell right now. I want to get her looking nice, but my mind keeps going back and forth between dip, a nice painjob, and non-Riv-related things haha. Does your car really need any body work?
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:25 pm

I've had a couple friends try the Glossifier and hate it. I've tried the Metalizer and don't like it. The original Plasti Dip is where it's at, imo. The "extras" are obviously an entirely different product. But try it and see if you like it! And think abt start small before working up to the whole car
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I dipped my roof black then glossed it. I totally regretted the gloss. I would have left it flat black knowing what I know now.

As far as body work goes, I am shaving my Riv smooth. Cant decide if I want to leave the rockers contrasting with the painting. I always lean toward yes.

I think I am just going to keep saving lil bits of money at a time and get a full paint job later.

The poor paint it has now helps it camoflauge in the ghetto. Sometimes I dont want to clean my wheels because then it looks too nice. Sleeper ghetto camo keeps my Riv safe.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 pm

charlieRobinson wrote:
The poor paint it has now helps it camoflauge in the ghetto. Sometimes I dont want to clean my wheels because then it looks too nice. Sleeper ghetto camo keeps my Riv safe.
Only in Toledo... Haha i have that ricer look going on right now... Sweet, super clean wheels, but the rest of the car looks like shit. Inside is looking nice, though!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Quote :
Cant decide if I want to leave the rockers contrasting with the painting. I always lean toward yes.
The stylists leaned that way, too. Painting the rockers body color might seem to "lower" the car to the road, but it also fattens the look of the body, giving it more "height". I think the car looks sleeker and faster with contrasting moulding, especially in white. If the car is already lowered, your stance should be good.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 11:38 pm

AA wrote:

Quote :
Cant decide if I want to leave the rockers contrasting with the painting. I always lean toward yes.
The stylists leaned that way, too. Painting the rockers body color might seem to "lower" the car to the road, but it also fattens the look of the body, giving it more "height". I think the car looks sleeker and faster with contrasting moulding, especially in white. If the car is already lowered, your stance should be good.
Yes, and it hides the dirt better too.

Back to top Go down
Riv95SC
Enthusiast
Riv95SC

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Quote :
I am shaving my Riv smooth

Kinky!  Watch out, though--you have to keep doing it, or the stubble will trap lube and other crud.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Just make sure you do 7 or 8 coats of it; when you go to peel it off it will hold to itself better and come off in large sheets instead of tiny flakes.

Do a matte green and then tape off blotches for tan and brown spray paint on top of the plastidip for a neat WWII camo scheme, then peel it all off when you're sick of it!

Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint Eurp-1212-02-o-2010-volkswagen-CC-BMW-sport-wheels
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint   Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint Empty

Back to top Go down

Plasti-Dip Spray-on Plastic Paint
Page 1 of 1