Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly Empty
PostSubject: How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly   How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:16 am

I'd like to remove my windshield wiper arms and repaint them as they look pretty rough.

I've got the service manual which shows pulling the clip aside and pulling the arms off, but my experience with other GM cars and a 1998 Riviera in a salvage yard shows that it really isn't that easy... or I am doing it wrong, hence my question wink 

So, anyone know any tips/tricks to getting the arms off without damage and also if they are somehow keyed so that once I go to put them back on I don't have to worry about remembering exactly how they were oriented on the shaft?

Thanks
Al

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly   How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:54 am

The only mounts I have seen are the clip type and on Nissans a type that just bolts on.

With the clip type, did you lift the arm all the way up on it's hinge? You have to do that r thx clip won't move.

You might have to open the hood to get the wipers clear to hinge out.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly   How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 9:14 am

The drivers side wiper arm is keyed but the passenger side is not so you gotta play with it a bit to get it lined up correctly when replacing. I repainted mine about a month ago and they were somewhat difficult to get off and the passenger side was tough to lock back on. IIRC the toughest part was because our wiper arms hide themselves under the hood a bit. I believe I opened the hood for both sides. I had to lift the arm a slight bit away from the windshield and use a screwdriver to slide out the tab that locks it in place. They can be stubborn so you might have to play around with it.

This idea may work better in my head but what if you were to shut the car off while the wipers were extended? Would that solve hood clearance issues? Id need to go take a look at the car. Also, for the passenger side, maybe make a tape line that follows where the arm sits so its easier to line up when putting it back on!
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly   How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks, will give it a try. I did NOT try it with the arms lifted, so that may be the main issue.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly   How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 6:03 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
The drivers side wiper arm is keyed but the passenger side is not so you gotta play with it a bit to get it lined up correctly when replacing. I repainted mine about a month ago and they were somewhat difficult to get off and the passenger side was tough to lock back on. IIRC the toughest part was because our wiper arms hide themselves under the hood a bit. I believe I opened the hood for both sides. I had to lift the arm a slight bit away from the windshield and use a screwdriver to slide out the tab that locks it in place. They can be stubborn so you might have to play around with it.

This idea may work better in my head but what if you were to shut the car off while the wipers were extended? Would that solve hood clearance issues? Id need to go take a look at the car. Also, for the passenger side, maybe make a tape line that follows where the arm sits so its easier to line up when putting it back on!
This all makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly   How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly Empty

Back to top Go down

How to remove windshield wiper arms and reinstall correctly
Page 1 of 1