Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

fuel pressure spec

Go down 
+4
deekster_caddy
Johnny5
96_Juggernaut
mattsaari
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mattsaari
Amateur

Name : matt saari
Merit : 0

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 am

So i hqve another post that i have code p0171 well today i went to check my fuel pressure and key on engine off it was 35psi and running at any speed in park it was a steady 25 psi. this seems low but i can not find the spec qnywhere on this board. im thinking it is way to low and replaced the fuel filter with no chnage and stqrting to think i may need a fuel pump soon!
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:18 am

Not sure about the Riviera but 25 does indeed seem very low. have you tried measuring fuel pressure with the vacuum line disconnected from the fuel pressure regulator ?
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

Name : Going Nowhere Fast
Merit : 1

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:32 am

my my my my you must have a 96 buddy this is our year I see and ... im fighting the same code are you currently having any other codes
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 am

Yea i tried both connected and disconected. it stayed about the same which i would think would be normal as less vac would drop the pressure even more and im assuming the pressure isnt there to begin with but i may be wrong

Last edited by mattsaari on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 am

Johnny5 wrote:
my my my my you must have a 96 buddy this is our year I see and ... im fighting the same code are you currently having any other codes
this currently is the only code i did have a camshaft positioning sensor code but that was fixed by replacing a broken wire and pin
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 am

and you haven't done nothing else to your car no mods ... have you changed any of the fuel filters?
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:44 am

Johnny5 wrote:
and you haven't done nothing else to your car no mods ... have you changed any of the fuel filters?
nope car is completly stock only things done are new radiator oil pan tensioner serp belts and replace broken wire to pcm but nothing performance wise also i did replace the inline filter near the compressor but didnt touch the screans on the pump
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:46 am

Less vacuum should increase fuel pressure, and positive pressure ( boost ) should increase it even more.
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:48 am

only thing I can think of is the quick fixes its a filter under the car and the one on the pump in the tank and a vuccum line that runs to the regulator
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:52 am

96_Juggernaut wrote:
Less vacuum should increase fuel pressure, and positive pressure ( boost ) should increase it even more.
do you have a T on the front of the supercharger or you have a single line ran str8 to the MAP
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 am

but p0171 is a lean code some extra air is coming in from somewhere you have to check the lines
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 am

Johnny5 wrote:
only thing I can think of is the quick fixes its a filter under the car and the one on the pump in the tank and a vuccum line that runs to the regulator
thats what i was thinking im leaning towards pump have you ever replaced just the pump and not the whole sending unit i found just a pump and strainer for 48 to save cash but idk if its best off replacing the whole thing
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:01 am

Johnny5 wrote:
but p0171 is a lean code some extra air is coming in from somewhere you have to check the lines
wouldnt too little fuel do the same?
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:04 am

I think a leak in a vacuum line is more common ( and cheaper ) than a faulty fuel pump. always check the cheapest fixes first
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:05 am

I have heard of it done but I have never seen it and not on the riv ... but look for a vacuum first
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:06 am

Johnny5 wrote:
96_Juggernaut wrote:
do you have a T on the front of the supercharger or you have a single line ran str8 to the MAP
the map goes to a t that has a factory plug and then anothe line going to the intake manifold
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:08 am

I just seen the p0171 code you put down. reason is because its having to take in more air from a vacuum line, lower intake leaking
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:13 am

Johnny5 wrote:
I just seen the p0171 code you put down. reason is because its having to take in more air from a vacuum line, lower intake leaking
that was my original guess but still wondering if fuel pressure has somthing to do with it 25 at idle just dont seem healty and i did try taking a can of carb cleaner and spraying around the intake and all the vac lines with no change in how its running
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:19 am

its not going to change how its running but you will hear an increase in engine idle it will spike that's a tricky code mines haven't came back but im spraying more gas than usual and its killing me in the pockets
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 am

Johnny5 wrote:
its not going to change how its running but you will hear an increase in engine idle it will spike that's a tricky code mines haven't came back but im spraying more gas than usual and its killing me in the pockets
thats what i should have said but there was no change in idle def is a pita code been chasing my tail the last couple weeks lol
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:25 am

did you spray around the lower intake and the egr valve and its piping something its under the hood if the car is starting fine
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Johnny5 wrote:
did you spray around the lower intake and the egr valve and its piping something its under the hood if the car is starting fine
yea tried spraying that as well went through almos a whole can of carb cleaner lol. and it idles really nice and smooth around 500 rpm runs like a dream just the code
Back to top Go down
mattsaari
Amateur

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 5:15 pm

New update i checked fuel pressure again today and now its at almost 50 key on engine off and at idle its around 35 but the guage bounces real bad that i cant read it which seems to me to be pointing again to a fuel pump as its prolly going down when the injectors open and the fp isnt keeping up. i did also put a vac guage on the reg and it held vac and with key on engine off the fuel pressure went down with vac applied to the regulator so i know the reg is good still thinking fuel pump i thi.k im going to try to replace just the pump in the sendong unit in the next few weeks!
Back to top Go down
Johnny5
Fanatic
Johnny5

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Find a old one in the junk yard n experiment first so u dont have no long down time in the process
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:53 pm

If it's hitting 50 with the key off, try changing your fuel filter before you replace the pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

fuel pressure spec Empty
PostSubject: Re: fuel pressure spec   fuel pressure spec Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel pressure spec
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next