Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

loud tranny noise when cold

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

Name : Aaron W.
Merit : -2

loud tranny noise when cold Empty
PostSubject: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 pm

when the car is cold, the transmission has a loud almost "hollow" sound to it that goes away when the car is warmed up. Its hard to descride the sound other than maybe like tv static but muffled anyway my dad thinks the transmission is going but the car shifts fine and never slips anyone experience this before? car has 118k
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 pm

how do you know its the tranny? the intake can also make alot of noise if you have a intake or a gutted box.sounds kinda like what you described
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 11:28 pm

i thought of it, i do have a 4' fwi but its not a constant sound would intake noise quiet down when its warmed up though?
Back to top Go down
96_Juggernaut
Fanatic
96_Juggernaut

Name : Todd Balestrini
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 am

Yes, thats exactly what mine does. when I was up in the snow the sound of the intake when it was below freezing was stupid loud. always goes away though
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 am

h20man wrote:
i thought of it, i do have a 4' fwi but its not a constant sound would intake noise quiet down when its warmed up though?

yes, it's a pretty well documented sound. You are hearing the supercharger play until the rotors warm up and clearances tighten up. There's a muffler and baffling on the stock intake so you don't hear it.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 pm

It's the Intake....every single one of our cars with an Aftermarket or modified Intake has that "nasty" noise until it warms up.
Back to top Go down
h20man
Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Yes its a nasty noise people think something is wrong with my car, including my dad who started talking about me saving up for a tranny rebuild soon intake makes sense though, even when I only had a gutted airbox it did that now its even louder with a fwi
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:06 pm

h20man wrote:
Yes its a nasty noise people think something is wrong with my car, including my dad who started talking about me saving up for a tranny rebuild soon intake makes sense though, even when I only had a gutted airbox it did that now its even louder with a fwi

Now you know why GM put a giant silencer in there  wink 
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 1:06 pm

yup. as said its the intake. very normal with a FWI. it can sound from anything between a hollow "woosh" sound to a hoover sucking up marbles. It varys depending on the rotors. Always worse in the cold.

Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Mine sounds more like a vacuum cleaner with a hose missing lol so the sounds of the blower rotors resonating through the intake causes this when cold?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Its the clearances on the rotors tips.  Once the blower warms up they expand just enough to take away most of the noise.  Every m90 with a FWI does this. Interestingly enough, the m62 doesnt make a sound.(At idle anyway.  3gears )  And I can't say if the GenV m90's do it or not.  They might not since their coating is a little different. I'm not sure how its coating reacts to temperature changes.

And abaddon's new SC might not do it either. But its had "things" done to it.

Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:12 am

Huh my supercharger is brand new about 2 months old and it seems louder than my stock one, I guess less buildup on the rotors will make it seem louder
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:43 am

brand new? there are no brand new stock blowers for our cars. There are remanufactured ones that are rebuilt, but not brand new. A note of interest, most places that do up a remanufactured one will strip off the coating on the rotors. You will lose around a PSI of boost due to this. If your unit is remanufactured, it is likely that you don't have any coating on the rotors at all. Also many reman places don't do the needle bearings properly and just try and wipe normal grease in there instead of properly removing them and pressing in new ones. The rotor needle bearings use a very special high pressure/high temp packing. Anyway, FYI.

Enthusiast
h20man

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Your right I meant brand new as in completely rebuilt, and the rotors were re coated according to the place which Is American supercharger off of eBay, I also had them port the inlet and outlet they did a really nice job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: loud tranny noise when cold   loud tranny noise when cold Empty

Back to top Go down

loud tranny noise when cold
Page 1 of 1