Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
misscatdf
Special

Name : Anita Flowers
Merit : 0

1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise Empty
PostSubject: 1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise   1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 pm

[b]My Riviera was running fine, had oil, water, Gages were fine. In one day, maybe less than 2 hours it started to have a rough idle then it stalled at a stop sign. When we got it started up again the noise sounded like metal clanging. A couple of people have listened to it and tell me I threw a rod. Any Suggestions on where to find a decently priced used or rebuilt 3.8 Supercharged V6 engine or whatever I need to get this fixed?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise   1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:25 am

first off, welcome to the forum! hi
please let us know what year riviera you have so we can better help you.(edit:i see it in your title now smile )

if you are sure that you need a motor, then you can get one used for a great price from ed morad.

were these people who listened to it mechanics?
also you say it had oil, does it still show full?

Back to top Go down
misscatdf
Special

Name : Anita Flowers
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise   1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 am

One of the people is a certified mechanic but he admitted he didn't have a lot a time invested into looking at it when I asked him how much I owed him for the diagnosis. The other one is a Shade Tree Mechanic, but he is a good one. I just don't know if he has had much expierience in the supercharged motors. The oil is just barely under full. I just don't think either one has done anymore then listen to it. I was hoping that it would just be the Harmonic Balancer or something like that. I will check out Ed Morad. Thank You for your help
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise   1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:00 am

You should be able to find one through car-part.com as well, many used parts dealers have warranties on the engines, some only 90 days but it's something...

Depending on your location you may find shipping from Morad's a bit pricey... where are you located?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise   1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 12:08 am

Take off te belts (slip them off the tensioners) and turn the pullies to see which one is making the noise. You might have an alternator that froaked or some such. Bad alt can soudn like a spun bearing.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise   1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise Empty

Back to top Go down

1997 Riviera Stalled then makes loud clanging noise
Page 1 of 1