Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!

Go down 
+2
1998 Riv
rivparadise
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! Empty
PostSubject: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 am

I went out Tuesday Morning after driving over 250 miles Sunday and Monday and she turned over but no start. After trying to start for 2 minutes, I looked to see my fuel line had burst from the rail! I fastened it up, cleaned up the mess and tried again! No luck. Checked air, spark and I knew I had fuel at least up to the line. I put the car in a garage with a heater to warm it up. I'm quite sure this is the problem due to the fact I tried starting my GF's Honda and got the same thing! Its been in the garage since 8 am yesterday and still no start. I have pressure in the rail when I press the release valve. Everyone seems to have a hard time thinking it's the fuel rails frozen but why would the line pop off unless it's trying to push fuel and can't. I have checked the Ignition fuses, Injector fuses and all possible relays, MAF, IAC and TPS Sensors as well as clearly hearing the fuel pump come on when turning the key. I know its cold here but this blows! -10 in cheery Buffalo! She's getting towed to my friends shop down the road today for further diagnosis but would appreciate any ?  ideas!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 9:28 am

It's not a frozen fuel line unless it's full of water... -10 F is nothing to gas.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 11:25 am

If you have the fuel line off the rail, just cycle the key and gas should come gushing out of the line. If not, fuel pump might be frozen.

Did you get some wet gas?
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

Name : R.L.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Riv and the Focus seemed to have frozen lines a couple weeks ago following fills at the same pump and some -20 temps. A bottle of isopropyl and appropriate waiting time made both clear up. Not uncommon for water condensation in the tank when there's temperature fluxuation and high humidity. The problem with frozen lines is usually at the tank end.
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Yep! After warming up and cleaning plugs she fired right up! GF's car just needed to be warmed up.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 am

Where are you buying your gas? It sounds to me like there is too much moisture in the supply. High pressure fuel systems don't freeze up, and gasoline shouldn't have any moisture in it.

Isopropyl really shouldn't be necessary if you are buying gas with any ethanol in it, it basically does the same thing. Can you still get 'pure' gas? If so, you might still need some drygas to absorb the tank moisture.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 am

Yeah, I've been driving in ND winters for 40 years and have never had a fuel line freeze up. Sounds like bad gas at your station.
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 5:34 pm

My bad tanks were from Sam's Club. I've rarely had a problem with my local BP.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 5:49 pm

Sam's? My local Sam's sells nothing better than 89 octane.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Same here...89 always at Sam's....
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 am

I've never put anything but 91-93 octane. I just got the Green Hornet a few months ago and it had a small sputter while idling since I got it. Very intermittent but since the freeze, I put dry gas in, filled the tank and started a regimen of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and it's running smooth as silk so far. I have used Lucas UCL in my white car and when I did the LIM gasket, the inside of my motor was BEAUTIFUL! 93 octane, the Upper Cylinder Lubricant with fill ups and Lucas Oil Stabilizer with oil changes is all I've ever put in.
I've also peeked into the Throttle body of the Green car and it's black with crap built up. I plan on giving her the overhaul in the spring so I'm hoping to nurse her through the winter.
Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! IMG_20111017_195355_zpse2b2fcfd
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Doesn't matter what octane gas you buy, that doesn't make it good quality, as far as it maybe having water in it at the station.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 5:00 pm

rivparadise wrote  "I've never put anything but 91-93 octane. I just got the Green Hornet a few months ago and it had a small sputter while idling since I got it. Very intermittent but since the freeze, I put dry gas in, filled the tank and started a regimen of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and it's running smooth as silk so far. I have used Lucas UCL in my white car and when I did the LIM gasket, the inside of my motor was BEAUTIFUL! 93 octane, the Upper Cylinder Lubricant with fill ups and Lucas Oil Stabilizer with oil changes is all I've ever put in.
I've also peeked into the Throttle body of the Green car and it's black with crap built up. I plan on giving her the overhaul in the spring so I'm hoping to nurse her through the winter."

I would definitely port those heads while ya got em out and have them rebuilt with all new seals.  jmo
Back to top Go down
IFallsRon
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 5:49 pm

My Riv has 200,000+ miles and diminished street appeal. It's a cool and safe car for my daughter to drive to college and work. Price per gallon of gas when in-town performance in severe temperatures is a limiting factor makes octane levels less relevant. Today, Sam's Club was 21 cents/gallon less than street prices.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!   Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr! Empty

Back to top Go down

Frozen Fuel Rails. Brrrrrrr!
Page 1 of 1