Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Under hood lining issue

Go down 
+7
al_roethlisberger
1998 Riv
matt270avian
Animator
Sir Psycho Sexy
ZEP
damnjetski
11 posters
AuthorMessage
damnjetski
Amateur
damnjetski

Name : Christian
Merit : 2

Under hood lining issue Empty
PostSubject: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Hey all. I knew my S/C belt needed replacing and drove on it anyways (1st mistake). Aaaand I hit about 4500 rpm trying to make a light (2nd mistake) so I managed to throw the thing in a much more violent manner than I had anticipated. It tore into the insulated fire retardant under hood lining a fair bit and I was wondering what all needed to be done to keep any of it from interfering with either belt and/or potentially fouling up anything that sits right below it, i.e. alternator.
I cleaned out any parts that were hanging down but I'm still a little worried. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was attempting to post the image, but I'm on a mac right meow, so that's not quite happening.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Solution: Remove hood liner (At least - that's what I did! And, that's what I recommend)

A pic of the damage would be good to see, though.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 am

^ I second that. Just take it off. The hood looks kind of cool under that pad, and your blower whine will be louder!
Back to top Go down
Animator
Animator

Name : Rob

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 6:35 pm

damnjetski wrote:
Hey all. I knew my S/C belt needed replacing and drove on it anyways (1st mistake). Aaaand I hit about 4500 rpm trying to make a light (2nd mistake) so I managed to throw the thing in a much more violent manner than I had anticipated. It tore into the insulated fire retardant under hood lining a fair bit and I was wondering what all needed to be done to keep any of it from interfering with either belt and/or potentially fouling up anything that sits right below it, i.e. alternator.
I cleaned out any parts that were hanging down but I'm still a little worried. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was attempting to post the image, but I'm on a mac right meow, so that's not quite happening.

Hi, Christian. My hood liner is torn up too. Morad has one for sale for $65 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390484057153?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wanted to buy it myself because my hood liner is thrashed too, but for some reason they have blocked me and refuse to tell me why. Still, lots of people get Riv parts from him, and he's a good source. BTW I live near South Coast Plaza and know a very good mechanic in Costa Mesa if you need one.

I assume you need your belts replaced now, which can be a PITA because you have to remove part of the front motor mount to gain access and that requires putting a jack under the engine, a job that is sadly in my near future. But you are lucky because you have found some of the best Riv owners on the planet right here who are always willing to help with advice and more.

PS, If you talk to Ed at Morad and decide not to get the hood liner, ask him why he blocked me from bidding on his eBay stuff. I've never had any business dealings with him before, so I'm a little confused.
Back to top Go down
damnjetski
Amateur
damnjetski

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Apologies for the delay and thanks for all the quick replies. I trimmed the hanging bits and scraped any loose insulation out of the cut that the half-severed belt made. As for now I'm going to leave the remainder of the liner in place. Call me weird, but I like a relatively quiet car. I know the CHP does. And the concept of the liner being a fire-blanket for the engine bay, while hopefully something I'll never need, is something I don't mind having. Thanks for all the input and here's the pic as promised.
Under hood lining issue Riphoo10
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 pm

That would bother me too much. I would rip it out or get a new one. It seems like I keep playing catch up with my car. Fix one thing or improve something else, and then another thing goes wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 pm

matt270avian wrote:
It seems like I keep playing catch up with my car. Fix one thing or improve something else, and then another thing goes wrong.

I think that's just life man haha
Back to top Go down
damnjetski
Amateur
damnjetski

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Ditto for Tyler. In a perfect world I'd just hit Morad and grab a new one. But as it stands, I need new rear struts and/likely shocks, a wedding present for my soon-to-be-wife along with 15 other wedding related things. So I hate to say it, but it's not a priority unless it's a problem.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm

matt270avian wrote:
That would bother me too much. I would rip it out or get a new one. It seems like I keep playing catch up with my car. Fix one thing or improve something else, and then another thing goes wrong.

That's life with an older car...
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:53 am

Yep, always something with "old" stuff.... time takes it toll!

I'm thinking about attaching a piece of ABS over the typical pad area that broken belts destroy.... will see.
Back to top Go down
damnjetski
Amateur
damnjetski

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Let us know for sure if you have any luck with the ABS. I was thinking about insulation adhesive just to seal off the edges a bit better.
Back to top Go down
firefighter
Amateur

Name : paris
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 pm

Has anyone have a positive or negative opinion for this solution.
Buy a can of "Flex Seal" Spray the damaged are the Flex Seal dries to a rubber substance.
It sticks like glue. And seals.
Firefighter
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 11:22 pm

That just might work, Paris. FlexSeal is silicone rubber, stable to 500°F. If any tears in the liner, patch first with fire retardant cloth (Nomex, fiberglass,etc). I'd think flexseal could also serve as an adhesive for the path. Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
chitown_riv98
Fanatic

Name : Ruben
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:04 am

I'm going to have an extra liner pretty soon, looks pretty good. I'm tearing apart a severely smashed 96 Rivi for its engine and interior its pearl white with a tan interior like mine. I'm going to post some pics of my 96 Rivi with 67000 miles. I almost hate to send it to the junk yard
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Given the almost 100% "eventual tear up rate" these liners suffer, I think it is something of a design flaw where belt failure is an almost guaranteed shredded hood liner.

I know a lot of folks like to remove it entirely, but I actually like the liner.

What I'm thinking is fabricating an aluminum or ABS shield that attaches to the front strut brace and 'something' toward the front and will serve to protect the hood when the next belt failure occurs. Not high on my list right now, but something I've been thinking about. Should be pretty simple.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:16 pm

I've thought about covering the liner with "fireproof" fabric - fiberglass or similar, available as yard goods for fire curtains for theaters, etc. A spray glue could be used, fabric stretched over the damage, use a popsicle stick or some such to get the fabric into the "Riviera" script, paint in the script with an enamel paint... ought to work...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under hood lining issue   Under hood lining issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Under hood lining issue
Page 1 of 1