Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner

Go down 
+22
sniperdude
turtleman
charlieRobinson
97 park ave
stan
GreenMonster
ghpcnm
BMD
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
Rickw
AA
ZEP
SuperRiv07
IBx1
99Rivman
Jack the R
ewolfe0050
albertj
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
robotennis61
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:03 am

what does the liner do? it makes the engine compartment look nice! it might protect the paint job from radiant heat a little. but i think it just holds in engine heat longer. by removing it, might the engine dissipate heat better? what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:23 am

i was thinking about this as well, i think that it would get rid of heat better but what would we do when it snows,then the engine is so cold
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 3:14 pm

I'd think the main purpose is protecting the hood paint from engine comp heat.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:45 pm

in the days of muscle cars,they did not come,at least most of em, with liners. my legend ran 4 years without one,i took it off, with no prob to paint. and it was a great place for all my performance stickers from parts i bought. i ran my legend in queens,ny, not as cold as utica,but pretty cold,she allways started right up! and took no longer to warm up ,than with a liner. i think im going to take it off,give it a good cleaning and store it away for awhile. and keep an eye on the paint. here in vegas anything one can do to improve cooling is a plus! it gets so dang hot sunny ! having a all white car helps too!
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:12 am

robotennis61 wrote:
in the days of muscle cars,they did not come,at least most of em, with liners.

I don't know about "most" of them, but the 60's and 70's Buicks all seem to have them and reproductions are available for most. Have new ones on my 68 GS350.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 pm

youre right! i dont think that it will affect the paint..so im taking it off im pretty sure it will help some....
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm

I guess it doesn't make much sense to me. I think the "insulator" does just that, it keeps heat off the underside surface of the hood. So the heat that is rising from the engine moves off to the sides of the hood and escapes around the edges. Guess I don't see a drawback to having it in place. I really doubt that removing it will reduce temps. jmho of course.
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 2:10 pm

ALTHOUGH, I doubt there would be any short term effects on the hood paint w/o the insulator. Long term "could" be a different story, so I'll leave mine on. It also likely serves a primary purpose of sound deadening, so that's a matter of personal preference.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Short answer: sound and heat.

Long answer. Differnt cars differ in the "need' for this. Chrysler had a problem with the 2.2 L turbo engines, well the turbos anyway, cooking off the paint. They responded by installing a flush louvered hood vent over teh turbo area and painting the hood with epoxy.

I suspect if there was a heat problem the thing to do would be add a vent or enlarge the grille. And if there was a heat problem the plastic engine cover would die first.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm

They are considered a fire blanket. If you notice what is holding it on are several plastic pushpins. If a fire starts under the hood, they melt causing the liner to drop and (if all goes well) suffocate the fire. Molded to the aluminum hood is a plastic reinforcing "pan" that shields the outside paint from the heat.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm

ewolfe0050 wrote:
They are considered a fire blanket. If you notice what is holding it on are several plastic pushpins. If a fire starts under the hood, they melt causing the liner to drop and (if all goes well) suffocate the fire. Molded to the aluminum hood is a plastic reinforcing "pan" that shields the outside paint from the heat.

I know I've seen a pic of a Riv with the hood melted off from an engine fire . . .

I don't see how that could possibly work, a fire could draw plenty of air up from the bottom.

I'm thinking of removing the rear plastic pins at least, I'm sure that's what's pressing against the STB and causing the hood to bow up.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 9:02 pm

call me crazy but after my sweet looking engine swap im taking my liner off and im going to put some mirrors in place. just for added show look
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Nobody ever said it was a good design but that's what it's there for. I have run the Riv without it for a while yet and have not had a problem. If you want to keep the engine bay a little cooler, remove the top seal from the firewall to the hood.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:17 pm

ewolfe0050 wrote:
I'll have to disagree here Eric, the "pan" is also aluminum. Riveted to the hood, and then the liner is attached with plastic pins.
The corrosion I have on mine is a good indicator of that!
FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner P1010010
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyThu May 01, 2008 11:28 pm

I could swear mine was plastic but I guess I can't tell because of the paint over it. I guess I'll find out soon enough when I cut it for IC install (if needed)! I've been know to be wrong on several occasions though! lots and lots of occasions...
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:42 am

what if i took off the liner and applied stick on heat barrier? its a whole lot thinner than the stock piece,and i can cut it to fit the ,between, reinforcing ribs of the hood. i might even look cool! and at the same time im keeping the heat from potential heat damage. whada ya think?........
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySat May 03, 2008 7:43 pm

I like that idea.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:04 pm

It'd probably reduce weight too! As long as you replace the hood liner with something that serves the same purpose, the technology is 13 years newer so it may as well be thinner.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySun May 04, 2008 4:43 am

right! im gonna do it. next pay day!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptySun May 04, 2008 10:43 am

I want to see how yours turns out, if it looks good I'll put it on my list. I'm sick of looking at the huge hood gap the STB causes.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:06 am

ok. coming soon!
Back to top Go down
SuperRiv07
Addict
SuperRiv07

Name : Nick
Location : Brookfield, And If everything goes right A Nice big house in Bolingbrook with a big GARAGE
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 pm

I took Mine off it was all nasty
Back to top Go down
http://www.Chitownracing.com
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey robotennis, I'm interested in if you took the insulator off or not, or if anybody else has and has had any problems w/paint or the like.

I'm either going to clean mine or remove it. Sorry to revive an old topic, but I'm interested in doing this.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

I removed mine last fall, no problems so far. The raw metal under hood isn't so bad to look at.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 4:23 pm

I think it's there more for noise than for heat.

I think you might miss it on a long highway trip.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next