Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner

Go down 
+22
sniperdude
turtleman
charlieRobinson
97 park ave
stan
GreenMonster
ghpcnm
BMD
Mr.Riviera
Eldo
Rickw
AA
ZEP
SuperRiv07
IBx1
99Rivman
Jack the R
ewolfe0050
albertj
1998 Riv
palermocorey90
robotennis61
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 am

BMD wrote:
I believe its Vintage Parts Incorporated. I think GM sells off a lot of old stock to them.

right, sorry about the abbrev.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: asking for suggestions about hood pad...   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Bottom line of this post is I'm asking for your help deciding what color to paint the "Riviera" script on a replacement NOS hood insulation pad I plan to install in my Riv soon. I would like for you to tell me:

- what kind of paint to use (type and/or brand)
- what color you suggest. I'm thinking white, silver or dark red (my interior is Toreador Red). Or glow-in-the-dark...
- whether this is too much angst for something likely seen only by me and the occasional mechanic (cruisenight?)
- whether there's something else I should change or do while I have the old hood insulator off (dynamat?)
- other related suggestions (use tape instead of paint, etc.)

Thanks

Albertj

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 5:14 pm

I think a gloss black paint would look good, and it might pass for stock. Otherwise, a dark gray or gunmetal without much contrast from the pad would work well, imo. Another idea (test it first): clear.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 6:01 pm

i used this :
FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 2011-021

Well over a year ago and it still looks like this (literally just walked out and took the photo):
FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 2011-022

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you both.

Testors is an oil-based enamel for plastic (polystyrene) models.

Thinking about the application, it'd be great! Inexpensive, Comes in many colors and can be mixed.

The rest of the story (about my insulator) is when inspecting the belts I did not get the SC belt on the crank pulley correctly, it was a rib off, and I did not notice until it had shredded a rib and cut a line into the insulator. I was thinking about recovering it with some sort of fabric but came across a NOS pad... and thought it'd be nice to paint the script before installing it.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:17 pm

I would paint the letters with a high temp silver.That would look cool
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 pm

i tried high temp spray paint and the liner soaks it up and it bleeds outward.
The model stuff has lasted much longer than i expected and i live in FL so its high temp enough.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:54 pm

High temp silver caliper paint.Spray the paint into the cap,and apply with brush
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Hey Matt, the under hood pad looks great. Was the whole thing painted black first. If not, do you guys think it would be OK to paint it? I was thinkin' of doing that as mine is a little fragile and the paint might bond everything together.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
The model stuff has lasted much longer than i expected and i live in FL so its high temp enough.

what did you use to paint (brush, airbrush, ?)
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 pm

I painted the "Riviera" script with gray Rustoleum enamel (small can), including the "BUICK." And installed it. It looks OK but I think I am going to take it out and store it to install on cruise nights (it only takes a moment to put tit in/take it out, using a trim tool - see Upholstery Clip Remover, Old Forge Tools #1001 or similar, such as http://www.csnstores.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=IHK1103&refid=FR49-IHK1103. It's subtle.

Now I want to clean and recover the old one and use it for DD. What fabric should I use to cover it? I was thinking of using nonwoven landscape fabric, the black polyethylene stuff, or some sort of black nylon fabric. Or maybe the gray nonwoven fabric that's used to line car trunks, although I am not sure how to get it wrapped over the edges.

So please -- your further thoughts -- have any of you *recovered* the hood pad with some sort of fabric?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Might be pricey, but I'd be looking into a Nomex fabric or similar.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:02 pm

like these ( LINK) maybe?!?!

Albertj
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

Those could work too - use the finer weaves if you're going for a soft finish, as they won't want to unravel as much. Use a high temp spray adhesive, maybe stitching around the edges would be a nice touch. The larger mesh weave is meant for laying up in molds, like fiberglass. Although, a resin cured carbon fiber or Kevlar liner would be near indestructible, and lighter than the OEM pad, it would would be hard, not plush, and probably polished to a shine. Lots of work!

Nomex is different. It's the stuff that looks and feels like cotton, used for racing seats, belts, and driving suits. It can be handled much like any fabric. I'd use this or another fire-retardant cloth if you're going for a soft, tailored finish. Dye or paint to desired color.

I found some hits for Nomex - expensive from my perspective.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Sorry for the late response.

albertj wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:

what did you use to paint (brush, airbrush, ?)

I uses a small brush to paint it on. Ddint tape anything off, but i did it off the car. took 2 coats if i remember correctly. (it soaks up stuff and its hard to cover black with a white.

BMD wrote:
Hey Matt, the under hood pad looks great. Was the whole thing painted black first. If not, do you guys think it would be OK to paint it? I was thinkin' of doing that as mine is a little fragile and the paint might bond everything together.

No i didnt paint it black. i was lucky enough to find a near mint condition one at a junk yard. mine was torn to hell from a belt.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

AA wrote:
Those could work too - use the finer weaves if you're going for a soft finish, as they won't want to unravel as much. Use a high temp spray adhesive, maybe stitching around the edges would be a nice touch. The larger mesh weave is meant for laying up in molds, like fiberglass. Although, a resin cured carbon fiber or Kevlar liner would be near indestructible, and lighter than the OEM pad, it would would be hard, not plush, and probably polished to a shine. Lots of work!

Nomex is different. It's the stuff that looks and feels like cotton, used for racing seats, belts, and driving suits. It can be handled much like any fabric. I'd use this or another fire-retardant cloth if you're going for a soft, tailored finish. Dye or paint to desired color.

I found some hits for Nomex - expensive from my perspective.

I am thinking to use the a light carbon fiber fabric with no resin layup (leave exposed) and maybe the chopped-glass mat behind. Sew the edges with polyester button thread.

The thing that bugs me is I'd think ballistic nylon would work for this. But carbon fiber's not flammable so easily as the nylon.

Something light enough to glue into and stick in the Riviera script would be nice. Alternatively I could cut an oval "window" for the script, or perhaps make an iron-on Riviera decal for my inkjet printer and put that on approximately where the logo will be covered. Maybe from a photo of the Riv script or Buick tri-shield... hmmm..... further thoughts? Any source of the OE black fabric?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 90

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:05 am

A little late I know:
Mr.Riviera wrote:
i used this :
FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 2011-021
I used the same Testors paint Matthew did in a silver or aluminum color, I can't remeber which for certain.
This is how mine turned out:

The '95:

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 P2210010

The '99:

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 P5310010

I don't think using any kind of spray paint will work, even spraying it into the cap and brushing it on the paint is too thin and will bleed.
Just my opinion, the small Testors bottles work great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ghpcnm
Aficionado
ghpcnm

Name : Dave
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I am starting to get serious about tricking out my engine compartment and I am thinking about applying Carbon Fiber to my hood pad (see attached link):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330581941854&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

My present hood pad is "slightly damaged" and I would rather cover it than purchase a new one.

Have any of you attempted this? Do you think it will work? Any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/1189/
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 3:45 pm

ghpcnm wrote:
I am starting to get serious about tricking out my engine compartment and I am thinking about applying Carbon Fiber to my hood pad (see attached link):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330581941854&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

My present hood pad is "slightly damaged" and I would rather cover it than purchase a new one.

Have any of you attempted this? Do you think it will work? Any other suggestions?

I Was thinking about doing the same thing. I am torn as to whether to use carbon fiber, the 'ballistic nylon' or a polyester fabric.

Or what?!??!

c'mon guys someone has done something with this.

BY THE WAY - when I installed my replacement hood liner I put some eDead on the underside of the hood sheet metal. I only covered maybe 15-20% of the exposed metal. All I can say is wow. It got rid of noise I did not realize I was putting up with.
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 3:59 pm

What about the option of removing the hood pad completely? To each his own, but I removed mine and I love the extra engine noise. The section of the hood underneath of the pad is not too bad to look at either, and when I removed mine (at around 130k miles), it was very clean under there. I like thinking that having it off helps to at least slightly reduce the temps in the engine bay too.

Carbon fiber is an interesting idea, though. It wouldn't add much weight if you were just covering your old pad. It would make sure to try to find a product that says that it is heat resistant, though, if it's going in the engine bay.
Back to top Go down
GreenMonster
Amateur

Name : Todd
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 4:45 pm

The insulation pad under the hood saves the paint on your hood from engine heat, I would not recommend running without one or you could see accelerated fading or cracking of the paint on your hood.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Todd is right here,the heat can ruin the paint quickly and ruin your day as well....perhaps can even serve as a noise isolator.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:14 pm

FYI, that "carbon fibre" product on eBay is just a vinyl sheet that will turn to a shriveled mess the first time you start the engine. Beware of imitation materials for cheap online.

As far as the idea that the hood insulation is for heat shielding, I'm not convinced. I took mine out early last year and so far two hot Ohio summers with no paint problems. Our hoods are notorious for peeling anyway, and im running tube exhaust headers, so I can't believe the insulation is really doing much. I did however notice the noise increased quite a bit with the insulation removed, hinting at it's true purpose. To be honest, I enjoy hearing the belts spinning up with RPM.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
ZEP
Fanatic
ZEP

Name : Zach
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 6:36 pm

AA wrote:
I did however notice the noise increased quite a bit with the insulation removed, hinting at it's true purpose. To be honest, I enjoy hearing the belts spinning up with RPM.

Absolutely! I removed my insulation about a year ago and the paint on my hood is still as faded as it was before I removed it, too... no better and no worse. So, I am also unconvinced that it makes any difference as far as bubbling/peeling. I wouldn't have suggested the option otherwise.
Back to top Go down
GreenMonster
Amateur

Name : Todd
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 7:31 pm

On the other hand, my hood is 100% perfect and it's a 96', perhaps it just spent more time in a garage...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner   FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Underhood Insulation Pad/Liner
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next