Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment

Go down 
+23
gadabout
c0reyl
Rickw
robotennis61
VJD2
#1BearsFan
EatDirtFartDust
Ironclad-454
98RIV7777
rivboy
rivman96
'96reese
99Rivman
Chicken
ewolfe0050
jimmyriv
Mr.Riviera
steve1173
Kustom Kreationz
albertj
AA
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Sometimes when the "happy wife" tries to open the sunroof on her 99Riv it wont open until I tap it with my hand at the center/rear of the panel. It looks like it is sticking somehow. I figure the rubber has swollen just a smudge over the years.

:dunno:I am going to lube it up with some spark plug boot grease unless youse guys can offer a better solution...

Thanks for any tips or advice.
Bert
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 6:48 am

At some point I found a weatherstrip rejuvinator/softener that I used. Unfortunately, I lost the bottle and can't find it on the store shelf anymore. I don't know what it was called, but the Riv definitely needs something. The Sunroof and all that door/window weatherstrip should be maintained.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 10:04 am

Silicone spray lube.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 10:35 am

AA wrote:
Silicone spray lube.

I hosed it down with the Silicone spray and it still sticks(sometimes), not every time.
Perhaps it needs adjusted but I have looked at it pretty hard and dont have a clue afraid how to go about doing that.

Bert
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:44 pm

What worked for me:

1) Carefully clean the edge of the OPENING (not necessarily the gasket) and then lube the opening with the silicone tune-up grease. You may find wax or compund buildup there, or paint if it was repainted while you were not looking...

2) wipe off the gasket with a window cleaner such as Windex, then immediately lube the gasket.

3) open the sunroof then lubricate the tracks the window assembly slides on (fess up boys & girls, how many of you have done that lately?!?) clown

I did not try this but you might (at your own risk) if you are really feeling energetic, get a manual to show how to pull the headliner so you can lube the motor, too.

If it does not leak and shuts flush, I would not adjust it further. giveup

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 10:11 am

I had already cleaned both the gasket and the roof area that it contacts and sprayed it with the silicone. I also wiped the tracks/sliders with a rag and sprayed with silicone.
Still sticking, I can just barely bump it with my hand and it will pop down when it sticks...
I am going to try the silicone grease, if that dont work I guess I will just tell the wife to pop it down with her hand when she wants to open it.
Thanks for the replies and tips.

Bert
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm stumped. Do you know if it was ever wrecked/pulled?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 9:02 am

albertj wrote:
I'm stumped. Do you know if it was ever wrecked/pulled?

Albertj

No signs of wreckage anywhere.
I greased her up with the spark plug boot grease yesterday, well see if it continues to stick.
Thanks for the tips.burnout
Bert
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 am

still sticking?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 am

albertj wrote:
still sticking?

Albertj

I think its good now. Thanks for the replies.
I also told her to raise it to vent before opening it...
Thanks again.
Bert
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Hmm - that may answer the question.

If your sunroof is factory, it tilts OK... but when it opens it slides *under* the metal roof. If your sunroof slides over the metal roof, it is an aftermarket unit. Which may be the problem here.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 9:36 pm

albertj wrote:
Hmm - that may answer the question.

If your sunroof is factory, it tilts OK... but when it opens it slides *under* the metal roof. If your sunroof slides over the metal roof, it is an aftermarket unit. Which may be the problem here.

Albertj

I just wanted her to open to vent before opening the sunroof to try and keep it from sticking. its definitely a factory sunroof. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks
Bert
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 5:06 pm

No worries. Glad it's working out.

By the way for all of you reading this - remember to clean your sunroof drains this spring. Open the roof (slide back) and find the drains at the front corners of the opening. Don't use a coathanger - a few pipecleaners twised together at the ends (like the twist below the hook on a wire coat hanger) are what you want. So yo udon't bust a tube. If there is anything in there it's usually soft crud that will come loose with a little push - pull action on that pipe cleaner gizmo. For pipe clearners try WalMart, smoke-shop/newsstands, of craft stores like Michael's.

Albertj

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Kustom Kreationz
Amateur
Kustom Kreationz

Name : Buck
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptySun Mar 23, 2008 6:39 pm

albertj wrote:
No worries. Glad it's working out.

By the way for all of you reading this - remember to clean your sunroof drains this spring. Open the roof (slide back) and find the drains at the front corners of the opening. Don't use a coathanger - a few pipecleaners twised together at the ends (like the twist below the hook on a wire coat hanger) are what you want. So yo udon't bust a tube. If there is anything in there it's usually soft crud that will come loose with a little push - pull action on that pipe cleaner gizmo. For pipe clearners try WalMart, smoke-shop/newsstands, of craft stores like Michael's.

Albertj

Albertj

Smokeshop FTW!!

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 12:15 am

Smoke-shops, yeah, like the ones at gas station converience stores. They sell cigars and what-not. And you can get a pack of plain old pipe cleaners there, cheap. Or news-stands, cigar/pipe shops, and such.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

Name : stephen rabinowitz

PostSubject: Sunroof Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyMon May 26, 2008 10:02 am

Just got my 98, the sunroof on the outside is higher on the passenger side. Is there a way I can adjust it to lower it slightly to even it out or do I have to take it in to someone for that. It does not fit flush on the passenger side it sits higher parallel with the passenger door. The front, rear & drivers side is flush.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:30 pm

1) sounds like collosion twist of the frame

2) is it leaking water? does it operate?

Albertj
Back to top Go down
steve1173
Amateur

Name : stephen rabinowitz

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyFri May 30, 2008 3:07 am

Not collission twist. I've had it on new cars where I got the dealer to adjust under warranty. If you look at it from the outside the passenger right side is slightly higher then the roof while the left side of the driver is flush.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyFri May 30, 2008 11:43 am

Then judging by the silence of list members on this topic (they are not shy folks!) perhaps what you need is a service manual - check Ebay.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyFri May 30, 2008 1:39 pm

i know there are ways to move it forward and back, but i dont think there is any angle adjustment. have you asked the dealer how much and what they can do?

Back to top Go down
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Sunroof limit switches   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 am

Does anyone have any experience with sunroof limit switches. (Location, adjustment)?
Mine just started acting up. When opening the back up it makes a loud ratcheting noise at the full up position instead of just stopping. When closing it from that position, it just continues to fully opening instead of stopping at the normal closed position. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:36 am

Mine just started doing it too. Somebody help!
Back to top Go down
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:52 am

Sounds like the limit switch in the actuator....

I'm not sure if they're accessible or adjustable.....
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Chicken
Aficionado
Chicken

Name : Mark

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 am

I found these on the internets....

For a '95 Cadillac STS Astro Roof...I'm guessing its the same the Riv's Astro Roof....

Wiring Diagram:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=Roof1.jpg

Parts Location:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=Roof3.jpg

Troubleshooting Chart 1:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=AstroRoofDead1.jpg

Chart 2:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=AstroRoofDead2.jpg
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
jimmyriv
Junkie
jimmyriv

Name : James

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:14 am

Chicken wrote:
I found these on the internets....

For a '95 Cadillac STS Astro Roof...I'm guessing its the same the Riv's Astro Roof....

Wiring Diagram:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=Roof1.jpg

Parts Location:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=Roof3.jpg

Troubleshooting Chart 1:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=AstroRoofDead1.jpg

Chart 2:
https://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/?action=view&current=AstroRoofDead2.jpg

Thanks so much,my brother! happy
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/jimmyriv
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next