Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment

Go down 
+23
gadabout
c0reyl
Rickw
robotennis61
VJD2
#1BearsFan
EatDirtFartDust
Ironclad-454
98RIV7777
rivboy
rivman96
'96reese
99Rivman
Chicken
ewolfe0050
jimmyriv
Mr.Riviera
steve1173
Kustom Kreationz
albertj
AA
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ewolfe0050
Aficionado
ewolfe0050

Name : Eric
Merit : 27

FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:43 am

Wow. That stuff is foreign to me. Jimmyriv, when you get it figured out could you explain it to me in laymans terms?
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 5:47 pm

There are instructions for synchronizing the roof in the '99 Service Manual. I have some trouble with SA #152 but I haven't looked into it yet.
I think the pictures the Mark post are close, just not sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
'96reese
Fanatic

Name : Reese
Merit : 4

PostSubject: sun roof problems   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:15 am

okay so the sun roof works partially. i can hear the motor running, but nothing happens when you try to let the roof go all the way back. it will work fine when you tilt it up, but when you tilt it back down it does not pop up flush with the rest of the roof so it leaks.

like i said before i'm sure the motor works, because i can hear it running whenever i press the button. where are the cables/tracks located so i can check those out? how do i remove the headliner so i can acess the cables/tracks? i need help so i can stop leaks.
Back to top Go down
rivman96
Enthusiast
rivman96

Name : Cameron
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:36 am

I have a similar problem, only I can toy with the button to get it in a position so the roof doesnt leak.
Back to top Go down
rivboy
Amateur
rivboy

Name : Marc
Merit : 0

PostSubject: sun roof problem/question.......   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 5:17 pm

1996 rivi.... some people i talked to said the sun roof only tilts up and others have told me thats a lie it should go all the way back. from looking at it i belive it should go back too. but when i mess with the switch it will only tilt the back of it up... whats the problem?? does it rlly only tilt up or is their wire problems possibly or a problem with the motor and tracks or what? any help appreciated.
Back to top Go down
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 6:44 pm

When you push the button forward it will close the moonroof when its open, and when its closed and you push the button forward it will pop the back of the moonroof up. So if I were you I would push the button back and while you are doing this put your hand out your window and push pressure down on the back of the moonroof glass from outside the car to help assist it to pop down and go back. I had a few friends that had this problem and its was only because the gasket around the glass was sticking to the body of the car. If this makes the glass go back you need to greese up the gasket around the glass and the frame with some silicone greese. Let me know if this is your problem and helps you out. Good Luck
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

Name : Nate
Merit : 9

PostSubject: Sunroof problem   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 pm

So the other day I went to open the sun roof and it started to go back but about 3/4 of the way back it stops and then starts to close then before it closes it starts open again, it began to repeat the process until I pushed the close button, now it won't open at all. This happened once before, I looked at the fuse panel and figured since it was an OEM option it would more than likely be on the accessory fuse, when I pulled the fuse it was fine. After re-installing the fuse the sunroof began to work like normal, until a few days ago. This problem seems to accompany the cruise being difficult to get turned on. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 pm

sounds like a bum switch. Or a limit switch that has become cranky.

What do you other guys think - I think get a replacement switch from junkyard and swap 'em.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
EatDirtFartDust
Fanatic

Name : The Josh
Location : Somewhere between Sullivan and Saint Peters Missouri.
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 12:17 am

That's where I'd start. Especially since that would be the least costly repair.
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 1:23 am

I pulled the switch down and saw some damaged wires, that might be the culprit, we'll see.
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Too freakin hot to work on the car here today....
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 5:23 pm

#1BearsFan wrote:
agree
... but I don't have a choice, everything I need to get done is outside!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 7:56 pm

99Rivman wrote:
#1BearsFan wrote:
agree
... but I don't have a choice, everything I need to get done is outside!

True Dat tavis
Back to top Go down
Ironclad-454
Enthusiast
Ironclad-454

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:11 pm

So far so good, Sunroof is now working. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 pm

while you are at it, might want to do a quick visual on the cruise wiring - I'd pull the panel under the steering column and just look at things, trying to guess whether any of the wiring had ever been disturbed.

After all you did say the cruise was intermittent.

That failing - time for a wiring diagram.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
VJD2
Fanatic
VJD2

Name : Vinny
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Sun Roof issue   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 am

So my sun roof feels like randomly pulling itself up after driving awhile or if I go over 80mph. Something is not holding it down and when I press the sun roof button it makes a horrid grinding noise and will not seat sun roof all the way down. I'm afraid this will cause major leaks and already creates an annoying wind noise obviously because its not sealed.

Is this a motor problem, gear problem or something else? Sounds like the gear is shot but it opens no problem and pops the roof open. Just an issues when closing and pulling down the glass to seal it.

Seems to be never ending..
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:09 am

you have to clean all the mating surfaces including the rubber seal. pia, but you have to clean the cables with wd40,then grease with whatever the manufacture recomends for grease. that should help.if you live in Ct then the winter might have made its way into the roof.....
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:11 am

I wouldn't be opening it too much until i figured out what was wrong.
I've not had that problem, but maybe someone else on here has and can help you.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 am

robotennis61 wrote:
you have to clean all the mating surfaces including the rubber seal. pia, but you have to clean the cables with wd40,then grease with whatever the manufacture recomends for grease. that should help.if you live in Ct then the winter might have made its way into the roof.....
Do you recommend removing the headliner to fix this problem.?
Do you have experience with a prior Sunroof problem, if so I'd like to know for future possible repairs.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 am

I've not had any problems with the riv. but my acura had the same issue,NY weather, and all i did was best i could,clean the cables,by hand,then grease the tracs. that did it. I'm guessing the riv isn't that much harder. the hard part is starting the work.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 am

Did you have to remove the Headliner to do any preventive maintenance.?????
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 am

no. at first i thought i might have to. but i wanted to just try doing the job without removal. it worked.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 4:06 am

You mentioned cleaning and lubing cables. I've never seen any cables on our sunroof.
That was why I asked about removing the headliner to gain access to the mechanism./
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 4:14 am

no cables? showes you how observative i am.
according to the manual,after you remove the "pinchweld lace" it seems preety straight forward as to how to proceed. note ,that you have to remove the assist handles,sunshades,and disconect the whole shebang. pia.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 am

robotennis61 wrote:
pia.
What does pia mean?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment   FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Sunroof/Moonroof Problems & Adjustment
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Exterior-
Jump to: