Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? Empty
PostSubject: Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?   Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 pm

See the attached photo below. While performing some other general maintenance, I noticed what appears to be a plastic boot slightly dislodged over the joint where the steering column attaches to the steering rack.

I couldn't quite get it back on from the top, and haven't yet tried from underneath, but a couple quick questions:

1) How hard and effective is it going to be to "snap" this boot back on?

2) Is is a big deal that the boot has been in this "half off" state for who knows how long, and if so should I take any action to mitigate any damage (such as lubrication of some sort)?

Thanks
Al

Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? Ps-boo10

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?   Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 pm

That's the Steering Intermediate Shaft dust boot. It connects directly to the column, goes through the bulkhead, and attaches to the Steering Rack. All it's there for is to keep the dust/road debris out of the joints. You can try to snap it back into place, but it isn't going to be easy. That thing, over time, gets a "memory" to it, and it's a giant PITA to move.

It certainly isn't a bad idea to put it back in its place. It sure beats having to deal with a worn out I-shaft. Either way, I-shaft and/or boot replacement requires Steering Column removal. If you've got Gumby arms and hands, I still wish you luck.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?   Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Al, howd this turn out?
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

PostSubject: Re: Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?   Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Haven't made the effort yet smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?   Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns? Empty

Back to top Go down

Loose column boot on power steering rack, how to snap back on and concerns?
Page 1 of 1