Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)

Go down 
+5
albertj
LARRY70GS
Abaddon
bigdave
designer1962
9 posters
AuthorMessage
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) Empty
PostSubject: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:14 pm

I had a pretty severe "bounce" occur at highway speed on my 1995 Riv. Took it to the garage and had four brand new tires installed and balanced. Symptoms continued so I had front struts installed, Symptom continued but not as severe. Had wheels rebalanced. Symptoms continued so I had new front hubs and bearings installed. The "bounce" seems to still be present but not as severe as initially.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The only thing I can think of is the transmission? Half shafts? CV joints? I am stumped. The shake seems to be on the drivers side.

Any ideas are surely welcome. I think the next step is to sell the car and get another one!
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 am

What is the condition of your control arm bushings?
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't know, but when the car was inspected when I bought it they passed. The car has about 195,000 miles on it and I have been restoring most of the mechanicals over the past year. Think the bushings could be the culprit? I'll have a look next time it's on a lift.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 3:51 pm

The Lower Control Arm bushings can appear to be ok. They don't wear out and fall apart like most cars. What happens is, the inner bores of the sleeves get larger and/or oblong. You may or may not be able to detect this without the car being off the ground, and have a pry bar to put pressure on them. A lot of out members (including myself), have replaced the control arms as a last resort and fixed our problems.

A good little test to determine if they're bad is this....
Have a helper get in the car. Have them roll forward (while your outside the car) and have them stab the brakes. Have your hand on top of the tire while they do this. You will literally feel the tire move. If they're bad enough, you can visually see it move. You can brake torque the car also and see it move.

A "bounce" generally isn't a symptom of bad control arm bushings, but I wouldn't rule it out. By bounce do you mean the car bounces too much, or does it feel like the whole body shimmys when you hit bumps? Did you have the Strut Mounts replaced as well?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Maybe bounce means vibration at speed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 6:52 am

My guess is the bushings.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Birdawgxx
Amateur

Name : Tenn Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySun Jun 22, 2014 6:56 am

Gosh, I am just "shooting from the hip" here as they say, but you've gotten your life out of those lower control arms with 195,000 on them I think. With THAT many miles on them without being replaced yet tells me that either you're a very careful driver avoiding man-hole covers and potholes, or you live in an area where they do a superb job maintaining the streets and highways. I had a problem with vibration upon braking. Chalk one up to lack of experience, I replaced the front struts and the problem left for a couple of days, but reared it's ugly head right back in a couple of days steady driving. I'm not a mechanic Harvey, but I would highly a suggest getting a new set of control arms with really good bushings, a set of CV joints not made in China ( you're already in there, might as well throw a new set in while everything is taken apart!)and new sway-bar end links and frame bushings for your sway-bar. That should go a long ways toward tightening up things in the front for say..... The next 150,000 miles, and money well spent. Sure beats a new car payment!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyMon Jun 23, 2014 4:36 am

Have you replaced the rear shocks? Also check the automatic level control for leaks (does the back end seem low?). Inexpensive wear parts that I would replace before the other stuff.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Hey Everyone, Thanks for the input. I'll check into all the things you suggested and see what's up. I'll get back to you when it's done. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oh and yes the rear shocks are new.

Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 11:27 pm

I just located bushings at Rock Auto. It looks like the MOOG Part# 22112889 kit is what I need. It includes front and rear bushings. Anything else I need to know? These are apparently replaceable only in the 95 and 96 models. Later years require replacement of the entire control arm. Phew! Maybe I  lucked out. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Well I got the MOOG bushings kit from Rock Auto along with a pair of ball joints as long as I was getting everything taken apart. I drove the car a few miles at around 50 and it feels a lot better. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. The worse part was getting the job done. I was given an estimate of 3hrs time to do the job. ($256) Also had to buy setting toe and alignment. ($70) I thought that was reasonable. When I picked up the car I was presented a bill with an additional $240 for labor since they had a difficult time removing the old ball joints! They said they had to torch the old ball joints off. I feel like I was a bit screwed but I had to bite the bullet and pay the bill. Let's see if all of this was worth it. Time will tell. So is $566 in labor charges in the ballpark, or did my favorite garage screw me once again?

Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Well now I just don't know where to go. I can still feel a shimmy in the front end after replacing the tires, rebalancing them, replacing the front struts, replacing the hubs and bearings, and finally replacing the lower control arm bushings, and ball joints. It's not as severe as when I started, but it seems to occur when I back off the accelerator or when driving through a curve. I am at a total loss. What's left? The steering column was rebuilt last summer. Could it be in the steering or maybe the transaxle? BY the way I am having all of this work done at a garage. I don't work on cars any longer since I turned 70.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 12:12 am

designer1962 wrote:
Well now I just don't know where to go. I can still feel a shimmy in the front end after replacing the tires, rebalancing them, replacing the front struts, replacing the hubs and bearings, and finally replacing the lower control arm bushings, and ball joints. It's not as severe as when I started, but it seems to occur when I back off the accelerator or when driving through a curve. I am at a total loss. What's left? The steering column was rebuilt last summer. Could it be in the steering or maybe the transaxle? BY the way I am having all of this work done at a garage. I don't work on cars any longer since I turned 70.

Have your tires been "road force balanced" on a Hunter 9700?

If it pops up when you back off the accelerator it might actually be CV joints.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 3:06 pm

I could NEVER get rid of my "bounce" until I installed my aftermarket wheels/tires. I balanced the factory tire/wheels until I was blue in the face. When I bought my AR wheels and put them on, I went "holy shit". One or more of my wheels must be oblong. Just sayin.....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

Abaddon wrote:
I could NEVER get rid of my "bounce" until I installed my aftermarket wheels/tires. I balanced the factory tire/wheels until I was blue in the face. When I bought my AR wheels and put them on, I went "holy shit". One or more of my wheels must be oblong. Just sayin.....

This could be an issue if your car was in a wreck or hit a big pothole before you got it.

Albert
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 am

albertj wrote:
This could be an issue if your car was in a wreck or hit a big pothole before you got it.

No wrecks. Just 12 years of abuse from me. I was merely offering up a different solution. I had already gone through all the usual suspects. The vibration got better with everything I replaced, but didn't really disappear until the wheels were replaced.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Abaddon wrote:

albertj wrote:

No wrecks. Just 12 years of abuse from me. I was merely offering up a different solution. I had already gone through all the usual suspects. The vibration got better with everything I replaced, but didn't really disappear until the wheels were replaced.

I did say before you got it.

When I got my Riv I had to replace one of the alloys, supposedly it was out of round. I still have it, it's not on the car it's stored.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 pm

UPDATE: After all the stuff I've done (new tires, balance/rebalance, wheel hubs and bearings, struts, lower control arm bushings and ball joints) I took the car out today and got a "vibration" in the front end at around 52 MPH. It lessened if I increased the speed. Now what it is doing is vibrating when I let off on the gas at around 50 or so and goes away when I reapply gas. I am totally stumped now other than thinking I should replace the front half shafts and CV joints. The car has about 195,000 miles on it and I am assuming the front end except for what I have replaced is original. Any further thoughts from any of you? Do I look at the rack and pinion next? OH, and the entire steering column was rebuilt last year to eliminate that Riviera "wobble". The shake even occurs when cruise control is engaged.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Welcome to the club Harvey....we all have that goddamn shimmy
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 9:47 am

designer1962 wrote:
UPDATE: After all the stuff I've done (new tires, balance/rebalance, wheel hubs and bearings, struts, lower control arm bushings and ball joints) I took the car out today and got a "vibration" in the front end at around 52 MPH. It lessened if I increased the speed. Now what it is doing is vibrating when I let off on the gas at around 50 or so and goes away when I reapply gas. I am totally stumped now other than thinking I should replace the front half shafts and CV joints. The car has about 195,000 miles on it and I am assuming the front end except for what I have replaced is original. Any further thoughts from any of you? Do I look at the rack and pinion next? OH, and the entire steering column was rebuilt last year to eliminate that Riviera "wobble". The shake even occurs when cruise control is engaged.

Try rotating your tires, just to see. My '98 never had a wobble. Also have the tires rebalanced and ask them to see if the tires spin true. Some have "lumpy" treads. In my tire shop I've cured "uncurable" wobbles by literally grinding down high spots on the tread. Not all tires are made perfectly round, and some are notable worse than others.

The only other rotating part up there that you haven't replaced which could be affected by accel/decel is the CV joints/shafts.

(also, please add the year/make of your car to your signature and enable your signature. It helps us all keep things straight)
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions. CVjoints and half shafta are next on the agenda.

I'd be happy to add to my signature, but have no idea how.

HC
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 9:58 am

Just go to "Profile" at the top, then Signature (just under the top row, on the right side). Fill in some basic info and Save. Then go to Preferences (right next to Signature) and set "Always enable my signature" to Yes (and Save)
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Well, the mystery continues.

I had the left and right halfshafts and CV joints replaced and the result is that I still get a vibration in the front end that is not as severe, but still present. While doing the halfshafts, discovered the outer tie rod ends were in bad shape, so that is the next attempt at getting rid of the "bounce" (don't know what else to call it)

Recapping, My 1995 Riv developed wheel bounce at highway speed. Replaced all tires, balanced them and then rebalanced them. Replaced both struts. Replaced hubs and bearings on both sides. Rebuilt lower control arms (new bushings) and new ball joints. finally replaced half shafts and CV joints. About to replace outer tie rod ends.

The front developed a vibration of some sort that seems to occur when letting off the gas after accelerating, but will also occur at around 45 to 50 mph for no apparent reason. As I have said I have replaced just about everything I thought could cause it with only some improvement. One mechanic suggested it might be a motor mount rather than suspension. Any thoughts? Anyone.

Latest thing is the steering wheel now is not straight when car is driving straight. That started when the cvs joints were replaced. Is this something that is an easy fix?

"Baffled in Baltimore"

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Your steering wheel isn't straight because the repair shop probably disconnected the lower control arms or the struts and never re-aligned the car.....
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 pm

also check if any of your brakes are dragging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)   Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv) Empty

Back to top Go down

Puzzled over front wheel "bounce" (1995 Riv)
Page 1 of 1