Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Repainted dash and console black

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

Repainted dash and console black Empty
PostSubject: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 8:26 pm

I had posted in a few other threads about the odd problem a few of our generation Rivieras seem to exhibit; where the flexible paint coating on some of the plastic panels has deteriorated to the point where the coating was soft, easily damaged with something as soft as a fingernail, and at times becoming even so soft and gooey that one's fingers would leave an impression and stick.

These panels include the "swooshes" on the doors, the instrument panel, and console top.

To correct the problem, I could have spent time getting someone like SEM to color match the "teal" of my interior to repaint the panels, but not only is that paint a bit expensive, but I've found it to not be as durable as I'd like. It's also hard to match these old finishes as they fade or even darken over time.

But black is easy to match wink

However, I ran across a Rustoleum product, which is a textured plastic paint that has proven to be nearly indestructible.  It is meant to be used on things like exterior plastic furniture, and as such comes in green, white and black.  The green and white of course weren't very helpful, but the black seemed like a good option.

I had tested this 'paint' (which is clearly more of a colored solvent and adhesive) on several panels over the last year, and it has held up perfectly.  It also is very tough.  I took several of the sample panels I had painted and subjected it to reasonable chemical and physical abuse, and it never even showed damage other than dents in the underlying ABS itself.  It really is amazing stuff.

Its texture is less of a 'crinkle' or satin like some textured paints, and is more of a 'sanded' finish which some may not like, but it hides defects and blemishes really well and has a really interesting sheen.

The product is:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/textured-paint-for-plastic-spray/

Repainted dash and console black Ro_sp_10

I also found that in prepping for the paint, the following was a great way to strip off the old flexible coating:

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t10195-stripping-paint-from-interior-painted-plastic-castrol-super-clean?highlight=black+interior

Following are some photos of the finished work.  I also installed the 1996 real wood (only year it was real wood from what I understand) shifter surround.

I think it turned out really well, and reminds me of the transition to the black instrument dash face Buick did in 1965.

Repainted dash and console black Photo_10

Repainted dash and console black Photo_11

Repainted dash and console black Photo_12

Repainted dash and console black Photo_13

Repainted dash and console black Photo_14

Last edited by al_roethlisberger on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Also removed the "CD storage" pop out drawer module in the console and replaced it with a storage cubby.

I used the following, which is supposedly a converter to single DIN for a 2002-2008 Audi A4 and S4 Models.  I had to rig up some rods in the rear and JB-Weld the heck out of it, but the size is an exact fit. So if you are thinking of adding a storage cubby, I'd recommend this one.

Model: BKAU2

The kit is about $10, and you only need the cubby itself.  The frame isn't necessary.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220724189733?item=220724189733&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Repainted dash and console black Cchhm210
Back to top Go down
100percentjake
Amateur
100percentjake

Name : 100percentjake
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 9:56 am

Very nice. I'm thinking of doing something similar to break up the monotony of my tan interior. Did you remove the swooshes from the doors or are they not removable?
Back to top Go down
http://fastnotloud.com
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

PostSubject: Re: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 am

I removed all the pieces to paint them.  The "swooshes" are removable, but you have to be very careful because the plastic pins will easily break off when you try to remove the push on metal nuts, and often already are broken. I ended up with a stack of them from wrecking yards to cobble together two good ones.

Four years and about 50k miles later, the paint has held up completely and looks just as it did when I first painted it.
Back to top Go down
nickwon

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 am

Nice. I'm planning to repaint my dash also and I might use Rustoleum.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 am

Looks good, Al. I kind of wonder what that might look like in "brushed nickel" finish instead of black.

Those push on nuts, I found that if you can get a pair of electronic nippers under an edge you can cut them in 2 places and then they are off. Need a good set of cheap nippers, they are intended for copper so cutting those steel nuts can do them in if you have enough of them to cut. Example, see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piergiacomi-PG-TRE03NB-Flush-Cutter-138mm/dp/B003UQWJAA

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repainted dash and console black   Repainted dash and console black Empty

Back to top Go down

Repainted dash and console black
Page 1 of 1