Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 only CD player

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

95 only CD player Empty
PostSubject: 95 only CD player   95 only CD player EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a factory CD player from a 1995 Riv with any other car radio? I just acquired one and don't need it as my current one is fine, so I'd like to use it in my other car. (1979 Olds Cutlass)

Can the CD player be used as a stand alone player without a radio?

HC
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

95 only CD player Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 only CD player   95 only CD player EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 am

If you had the schematics, the proper connectors, the right pins for the connectors, and know how to make a harness then yeah, anything is possible.....
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

95 only CD player Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 only CD player   95 only CD player EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 12:54 pm

I agree, anyone with enough time and determination probably could get it to work, but practically speaking.... I'd say likely no wink

The CD player is partially controlled by the head unit and isn't just power and audio leads, as I recall there also is a control bus connection from the head unit.

It's not a very good CD player BTW.  If it hasn't failed, it probably will soon.

Al
Back to top Go down
designer1962
Enthusiast
designer1962

Name : Harvey
Merit : 3

95 only CD player Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 only CD player   95 only CD player EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll see if anyone else needs it. By the way the original one in my 95 failed and the one I replaced it with works when it feels like it! I know what crap these things are, but I am trying to keep mine original.
Back to top Go down
al_roethlisberger
Junkie
al_roethlisberger

Name : Al Roethlisberger
Merit : 24

95 only CD player Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 only CD player   95 only CD player EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 8:30 am

I can't find the thread, and I have to run.... but if you do a search for something like "OEM radio" or "OEM CD" ..... there is a thread where I call out the specific two radio head unit part numbers for the 95 Riviera.

There were only two fully compatible radios for the 95 Riviera, one is AM/FM/Cassette and one is AM/FM/CD and were Riviera specific.

I found the AM/FM/CD and had a fellow on eBay rebuild it with a newer CD drive internals, and added a jack to the front for your phone/iPod. So this way you can abandon the standalone CD player and gain that space in the console back for storage.

I have his info in that thread too.

He also might be able to rebuild/replace the CD mechanism in your standalone CD player if you inquire.

Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

95 only CD player Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 only CD player   95 only CD player Empty

Back to top Go down

95 only CD player
Page 1 of 1