Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Unknown Engine Noise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

Unknown Engine Noise Empty
PostSubject: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 5:25 pm

So, I really don't know where this thread should go because I don't know if It's a suspension or engine problem, but I'll explain my problem and hopefully I started it in the right area.

Lately, my Riv has been making sort of a grumbling noise on take-off. It almost always seems to happen after I make somewhat of a more aggressive turn. Like turning left or right at a 4-way stop. The noise isn't there at idle or when I completely stop, but only after I start to accelerate. It seems to be less noticeable at higher speeds of around 55, but I still think It's there.

I've really tried to figure out what it is, but I have the slightest idea. I don't really notice the noise when the cars in park or when I'm looking under the hood either. I had my brother rev the engine a little bit hoping that I could see anything, but I didn't. I also took off in 1st and the noise was still there.

It also likes to start making the noise when I'm accelerating up a hill. No "check engine" light either.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Try and brake torque the engine and see if you can hear the noise. You may have an engine mount that's almost shot and contacting the frame.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Try and brake torque the engine and see if you can hear the noise. You may have an engine mount that's almost shot and contacting the frame.
I just took it for a spin and tried this. Nothing happened.

I made a right turn and the noise started as soon as I started accelerating. I made an immediate left turn after that and accelerated and the noise went away. I'm also looking at my tires from the front of the car and my driver side front tire looks like It's sticking out a little farther than the passenger side.
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm

get some vids and post em here, bro
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 8:35 pm

I'll try and get one tomorrow after school. I'm not sure if you guys will be able to hear it though. Worth a shot I guess.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 6:18 pm

The video won't be happening today. I went to change my fuel filter and rust just fell off the line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Engine Noise   Unknown Engine Noise Empty

Back to top Go down

Unknown Engine Noise
Page 1 of 1