Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Another no start.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jbeganny
Enthusiast

Name : John Beganny
Merit : 2

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 12:13 pm

96 Riv. No SC. Car has been fine but yesterday I went to the store and when I came out the car would not start. It made some odd noises when I turned the key to start but did not turn over. Waited a minute and it would do nothing when I turned the key. The lights on the dash would not even come on. Played with the locks a bit thinking it was a security issue but two minutes later the locks would not even work. I went home and got a booster pack. I hooked it to the battery and still nothing. No lights on the dash, no noises, no anything. Then I hooked the booster under the hood, it started right up, and off I went. When I got home I put the battery charger on the battery and left it all night.
This morning I tried to start the car and nothing. No lights on the dash, no noises, nothing. I jumped it under the hood and it started right up. After I shut it off....nothing. Help! There seems to be no juice going from the battery to wherever it goes. Does that mean the cables are bad?
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Definitely check the cables at the battery - make sure they're tight on the battery posts. I've had had an occasion or two where mine were not tight and I had issues like that.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 9:58 pm

jbeganny wrote:
96 Riv.  No SC.  Car has been fine but yesterday I went to the store and when I came out the car would not start.  It made some odd noises when I turned the key to start but did not turn over.  Waited a minute and it would do nothing when I turned the key.  The lights on the dash would not even come on.  Played with the locks a bit thinking it was a security issue but two minutes later the locks would not even work.  I went home and got a booster pack.  I hooked it to the battery and still nothing.  No lights on the dash, no noises, no anything.  Then I hooked the booster under the hood, it started right up, and off I went. When I got home I put the battery charger on the battery and left it all night.
    This morning I tried to start the car and nothing.  No lights on the dash, no noises, nothing.  I jumped it under the hood and it started right up.  After I shut it off....nothing.  Help!  There seems to be no juice going from the battery to wherever it goes. Does that mean the cables are bad?

Could be the battery itself needs to be replaced. disconnect a cable from the battery and measure the voltage. Lo voltage is a symptom of a battery problem, If the battery is measuring less than 12.2 volts or so out-of-circuit you likely have a problem, could be as simple as it's just worn out.

Could be you want to check the underhood positive and negative terminals. Neg is near the starter, on a frame box rail. Problem with it is it corrodes over time, you might have to replace it, I replaced mine with a stainless steel bolt some time ago. Problems with the positive terminal are unlikely unless there was collision damage or some such.

Back to top Go down
jbeganny
Enthusiast

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for the two replies. Battery terminals look good and they are tight. Battery tests good. Is there a fuse somewhere between the battery and the ignition switch? Why does it respond when I jump it from the front? Right now the interior lights do not even come on when I open the doors. I am thinking this has to be simple but I am stumped.
Back to top Go down
jbeganny
Enthusiast

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Today I went to test the battery and as I was doing that the interior lights came on as I was positioning the battery. I then tightened up the cables, which already felt tight, and everything worked the way it should. We will see what happens but for now all seems well. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 am

Is the battery secured to the floor? If not, movement can loosen the connections over time, causing random issues.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
jbeganny
Enthusiast

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Yes, it is secured. Took the car to work today and all went well. Took the battery-pack with me just in case. Aaron, may I change the subject here or should I do it in another section? It contains a bit of criticism regarding your merit system. Please let me know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 10:04 pm

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

Another no start. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another no start.   Another no start. Empty

Back to top Go down

Another no start.
Page 1 of 1